Windows XP Will XP run on a SSD?

anotherwindowsuser

I wanted to buy an SSD for my Dell Latitude D630 as the HDD is apparently failing. MY brother says I might have driver issues using XP with a SSD, is this true?

You will have issues, plus you'll need to do a lot of tweaking. XP wasn't designed for SSDs

You will have issues, plus you'll need to do a lot of tweaking. XP wasn't designed for SSDs
Are you sure? I've never known an OS to bee HDD dependent....no matter the age of the OS. Do you have any factual evidence on this?

XP at the very least does not support TRIM, which means the drive will not be able to do garbage collection and may hinder the self-healing properties of your SSD when cells start to die. That being said, you could always buy a cheapo 120GB one and just pray it installs, and lasts as they are super cheap now.

XP also runs great on any modern computer under emulation.

Yes, but you'd still need drivers since XP doesn't come with any for sata

Well if I can get on with a vbox of xp perhaps I Can do the car maintenance that way, just found out yesterday the software I had installed had a virus in it so I was fuming. Windows 8 got rid of itbut I think it blasted the installation of the software at the same time. MY brother tells me win 10 can be installed using win 8 key. So presumably I can upgrade to win10 on my laptop for free. Do you think win 1 would work slower than win 8? From what I read its not going to be any slower. Thanks in advance.

Windows 8 was a failed attempt to build a unified OS for all platforms and was somewhat based on Windows 7 code base. Windows 10 is a complete re-write and is faster than 8 and more secure and yes you should should be able to just install Windows 10 and use the 8 license.

Xp (or any other system) running on SSD boils down to drivers which recognises the drive

In modern motherboard / virtual environments the drivers are built in and the operating system just does what they say... XP on it's own installed on period boards doesn't have any clue what to do with ssd

Sent from my SP9 using Windows Forums mobile app

Why are you so hot for XP? If I'm missing something here I apologize.

I just upgraded my old Dell 8" tablet (SSD) from Win 8.1 to Win 10... For free. No issues.

Linux (SSD friendly) is also an option. I like, Lubuntu. Good for older machines. Also, comes with a large repository.

Nylo

Why are you so hot for XP? If I'm missing something here I apologize.

I just upgraded my old Dell 8" tablet (SSD) from Win 8.1 to Win 10... For free. No issues.

Linux (SSD friendly) is also an option. I like, Lubuntu. Good for older machines. Also, comes with a large repository.

Nylo

Trying to run some old software, but it failed to run through Windows xp mode. Ive got the hdd now. Thanks for the responses.

Yes, but you'd still need drivers since XP doesn't come with any for sata
yes it does. i have NEVER seen a pc that cant install to a sata drive. it may be possible that early non service pack versions did not have them. you need to remember that by around 2005 virtually all pcs were running on sata drives so the drivers would of been in any service pack that became available. if you really need to you can put the sata driver on a floppy disc or usb (normally floppy disc) and press the f6 keyboard button when asked during windows installation. the same procedure applies to some raid drivers

Back
Top Bottom