Windows 7 Will you buy Window 7 without Toolbars?

"Does anyone know of a file that can be saved, that will return your desktop to a previous state? "

"System Restore" and "Windows Home Server" are two methods to restore a desktop to a previous state. I don't know any way to save it like as an image file or anything like that. Maybe someone here with a whole lot more expertise that I will have some plan.

"Does anyone know of a file that can be saved, that will return your desktop to a previous state? "

"System Restore" and "Windows Home Server" are two methods to restore a desktop to a previous state. I don't know any way to save it like as an image file or anything like that. Maybe someone here with a whole lot more expertise that I will have some plan.

I have posted a method in this thread, which the OP has already used succesfully.

Yes I would buy windows 7 even though it has no toolbars such as quick launch or media player but why do you need them now that they are basically embedded into the taskbar in 7 if something you want isn't there just pin that bad boy to the taskbar
Matt

YES ...... I don't care about these "toolbars" (MS call them Deskbands) , one (the superbar) is good for me, and BTW i love the new superbar .

OK I use these toolbars but only in the server side when i am working, when i log to a server i need to do what i want to do fast specially if i am fixing a problem, so i put all admin tools (event viewer , Regedit, resources monitor .... etc) in a toolbar, i will put backup apps and some other useful tools in different toolbar, and all the core Application in a third one (I don't like desktop shortcuts, they tend to be messy ) .................. I didn't try server 2008 R2 yet, so i am not sure if MS removed deskbands from it also.

I am very sure you can add them back using a free APP if you really want them. you can use this http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=7eb0c316-b3d1-416e-bff4-5b7ed53ebe11&bt=1&pl=1

I never used toolbars before, but with the elimination of quick launch in Win7 I had to bring out the toolbars to get a quick launch feel back to my desktop. Pinning things to the taskbar and giving each app its own "start menu" (jump lists) is just not efficient imo. Take a browser for example. Say, Firefox is pinned to the taskbar, I click it to open, then the icon goes away while the browser is open. What if I want to open another instance of the browser? I have to right click the open browser and click on the exe again. With quick launch, just simply left-click the icon again to open as many instances as needed. Just an example.

I don't pin anything to the taskbar and just use toolbars. One toolbar is for installed apps and the other is for system apps

8920276.png

Not sure what I am doing right (or wrong!) but I do not have that problem.
There was no miracle fast open with XP or Vista. All it did was created a convenient visible shortcut to the executive file. This could be equally achieved by creating shortcuts on the Desktop, for example.
In Windows 7, with the elimination of the so-called shortcut bar, the whole of the taskbar now has that function.
But, quoting your example, if I click my Firefox icon (pinned to the taskbar) the icon remains in place. Right clicking the icon shows me another instance to the .exe shortcut. I can go on opening as many Firfox browsers, as my memory will allow. ??

Not sure what I am doing right (or wrong!) but I do not have that problem.
There was no miracle fast open with XP or Vista. All it did was created a convenient visible shortcut to the executive file. This could be equally achieved by creating shortcuts on the Desktop, for example.
In Windows 7, with the elimination of the so-called shortcut bar, the whole of the taskbar now has that function.
But, quoting your example, if I click my Firefox icon (pinned to the taskbar) the icon remains in place. Right clicking the icon shows me another instance to the .exe shortcut. I can go on opening as many Firfox browsers, as my memory will allow. ??

If you click your firefox icon that is pinned to the taskbar it essentially becomes an open "window" in the taskbar. To open another instance, you need to right click the app in the taskbar and then left click to open another instance. Although this is not overly tedious, it is just an example of an extra step involved.

I'm in no way saying the pinning to the taskbar option is bad or not, it's simply an opinion and Microsoft has taken away several UI options that us techies have been using for so many years. I don't mind change, but the options should be there for both, old schoolers and users who want the new stuff

If you click your firefox icon that is pinned to the taskbar it essentially becomes an open "window" in the taskbar. To open another instance, you need to right click the app in the taskbar and then left click to open another instance. Although this is not overly tedious, it is just an example of an extra step involved.

I'm in no way saying the pinning to the taskbar option is bad or not, it's simply an opinion and Microsoft has taken away several UI options that us techies have been using for so many years. I don't mind change, but the options should be there for both, old schoolers and users who want the new stuff
Or there's always the FreeLaunchBar solution I posted about earlier in this thread. It workd better than the quick launch bar
and pinning shortcuts to the taskbar for that matter.

Two clicks doesn't bother me too much.
One of the reasons for Vista's downfall, was the frequent complaints of bloat. There are several other threads also asking for old methods to be incorporated into Windows 7. This will, once again, of course, start to bring up the bloat level.

But I may have misunderstood something in your original post - " I click it to open, then the icon goes away while the browser is open. What if I want to open another instance of the browser? I have to right click the open browser and click on the exe again." - Why does your icon go away?

Two clicks doesn't bother me too much.
One of the reasons for Vista's downfall, was the frequent complaints of bloat. There are several other threads also asking for old methods to be incorporated into Windows 7. This will, once again, of course, start to bring up the bloat level.

But I may have misunderstood something in your original post - " I click it to open, then the icon goes away while the browser is open. What if I want to open another instance of the browser? I have to right click the open browser and click on the exe again." - Why does your icon go away?

Maybe i"m missing something or just not explaining correctly. Perhaps this screeny willl help :)

taskbar.jpg

I think they should ditch the horrid classic theme and make a minimalistic theme/resource combo. Now we all know Windows 7 is light weight, but there should be a mode that strips Windows 7 down even further, by shutting off really, unnecessary services and giving the GUI a nice, but faster feel.

Yes about the light weight bit . Why does it have to be around 3 gig the light weight setup :confused:

Maybe i"m missing something or just not explaining correctly. Perhaps this screeny willl help :)

taskbar.jpg

I think I'll just agree to differ. Different techniques perhaps. I still see your icons for FireFox (two of them).
This is all I get. (Sorry, my taskbar is a little empty compared to yours)

Mike2k,

I believe you have choosen Never Combine when you right-click on the taskbar and choose properties.

Mike2k,

I believe you have choosen Never Combine when you right-click on the task bar and choose properties.

Just taken a chance to say hello to reghakr - please ignore my post . He does so much he shoulld be applauded .
Nice Car :)

I will probably buy it, but I can not live without them. I will have to get a 3rd party product.

I don't want to have to use the start menu or the quick launch or the desktop. All of them require too many clicks and I am lazy and impatient. With the docked toolbars, all of my frequently used applications are one click away. Just as I like them.

I would not have thought that it would be this difficult.

bloomers

Yes about the light weight bit . Why does it have to be around 3 gig the light weight setup :confused:

By light weight, I mean FAST. Does it really matter about disc space now a days? It's all about speed, we have plenty of storage for as "fat" OS as any company can make. Don't forget, programs like Media Center must be pretty big (around the 100MB size).

I think you miss the beauty of both the bottom toolbar with the common apps, jump lists, etc., as well as the incredible speed of the start menu search option. I can find anything that I need from the start menu search within seconds.

Back
Top Bottom