Windows 10 Win 10 Clean Install, Stable for months... and then...

Iosion

Installed W10 via USB. Formatted SSD, VERY clean install.

Fine and dandy for a few months... and then for the last 2 months increasing BSODs and general oddities and annoyances.

File attached as instructed.

BSOD message is ALWAYS "Memory".

Thanks for any help. I'd rather now buy brand new RAM or take a chance with the "restore" function which, frankly, I don't trust. The only thing I trust when an OS goes bad is a reformat and clean install.

Cheers.

Attachments

• W7F_24-11-2015.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 468
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {3453, ffffe001838aa840, 263383, 4}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+3e5bc )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
Hi,
as you know many of your dump files are memory related and could be indicative of faulty memory. The above Bugcheck means a fatal memory management issue occurred.
It's also possible that it might be driver related although having looked the dump files the only driver mentioned was the graphics.

bcmwl63a.sys Wed Feb 05 10:25:42 2014: Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter wireless driver. When i do a search for this driver everything tells me it's a Broadcom driver although I know your motherboard uses a Killer Network chip if these are one and the same please update using your motherboard support page:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4963#driver

Uninstall your gpu driver using this application: Display driver Uninstaller (in safe mode):
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V15.7.0.1 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum
This will remove any loose bits of driver left behind from previous drivers. Re-install your gpu driver.

If the bsod continues then you'll need to test your RAM. Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Post any new dump files.

My Dell system has a Wireless/Bluetooth card which uses the Killer and Broadcom drivers. The wireless shows BCMWL63AL.sys. But I am on 8.1 and not 10.

In the Event Viewer, I see many errors regarding the Bonjour service which may be related to the driver kemical mentioned but no way to know.

Have you gone through the Event Viewer and tried correcting any of the errors you are showing?

The wireless shows BCMWL63AL.sys. But I am on 8.1 and not 10.
I'm pretty sure the driver doesn't change depending on which os is used.

The only reason I say it 'might' be driver related is down to the dump files viewed although chances are it is the memory at fault.

1. I had to replace my video card, it was RMA (fan controller). Just finished that. Will be doing a few more things and running memtest tonight.

2. I am getting the "flashing logon screen" issue as well. Never flashing screen when logged in, only at the login screen itself. Very strange, very intermittent, very annoying. Thoughts on that?

Thanks for the responses. Kemical, you are clearly a rock star. :)

System Info:

Case - Fractal Define R3
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming G1
Power - EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
RAM - Corsair XMS3 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz C9 Kit (CMX16GX3M4A1333C9)
Proc - Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz (LGA1150)
Cooler - Stock
VGA - EVGA GEFORCE GTX 960 2GB DDR5 (02G-P4-2966-KR)
Primary Drive - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD (SSDSC2BP480G4R5)
Network - TP-Link AC1750 ArcherT8E Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
OS - Windows 10 Build 10240 64 Bit

Hey, thanks for the update.
I am getting the "flashing logon screen" issue as well. Never flashing screen when logged in, only at the login screen itself. Very strange, very intermittent, very annoying. Thoughts on that?
Try the system file checker. Do a search for command prompt, right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios."

Log attached as .txt file.

Thanks!

Attachments

• CBS log.txt
    8.6 MB · Views: 375
Hi,
please open another admin command prompt and type (or copy and paste):
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results which can take a while .

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]
The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

Attachments

• CBS log 2.txt
    8.9 MB · Views: 336
Ok now that the second 'Dism' scan was successful please try running the system file scan again. I look forward to your results re memtest.

1. System Files Scan Results

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

(ran it again to make sure I saw...)

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

2. MemTest+ Results
Memtest passed, zero errors. Ran for 10 hours and 22 minutes.

So... :)

Issues remaining:

1. Flashing login screen
2. Start menu oddities (hit windows key, start typing, nothing but little blue dots rolling across the very top)

Thoughts:

My VGA was faulty and is now replaced. Haven't had a BSOD since then. Could be that the VGA was causing BSOD and reporting as "MEMORY"? The issue with the VGA was fan speed controller, though, so... hm.

Last edited:
The faulty vga could well have been the source of the issues. Sometimes dump files will say one thing but it's being caused by something else so it isn't always clear (much like this sentence) what the actual issue is. All one can do is go through the motions and test.
Regarding the flashing login screen, see if it continues now you have run those scans or has it done it already?

I had set a custom background image (solid black) to appear at the login screen (the blue window of lightning just a bit ugly for my tastes). My screensaver has also been reset to default.

1. Any safe way to change that login screen background back to something less insane?

2. I get CONSTANT "working on it" messages when using file explorer. Very annoying.

3. Still having the windows search function break. Also really annoying and totally random.

Otherwise... haven't noticed the flashing, and still no BSODs.

Really appreciate the help. They better pay you well. :)

Last edited:
They better pay you well.
We are all volunteers Losion. Many think that this is an official Microsoft forum but it isn't. Just a few like minded individuals trying to help others.. :)

Any safe way to change that login screen background back to something less insane?
Hmm.. well this may interest you. I don't bother with the log in screen as I've set windows to log in automatically so basically I never see it. I'm the only person using this pc so security isn't an issue. Anyhow if you'd like to do the same find the 'Run' app and type:
netplwiz
click ok and you'll see a 'User Accounts' dialogue box appear. Look up near the top and untick 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer', click apply and you'll see a 'sign in automatically' box appear. Enter your details and click ok. Now when you boot up you'll go straight through to the desktop.

I get CONSTANT "working on it" messages when using file explorer. Very annoying
Over time this should speed up although having a cleaning regime does help. Do you use apps like Ccleaner or defrag the HDD? If not then do so although with Ccleaner don't use the registry cleaner. Windows doesn't need it and it usually causes more issues than fixes
CCleaner - Download.

Back