Win 2003 Share Drive

OSIAS

Honorable Member
I know its older but its what I have - I installed Win 2003 64 Bit server can't get updates to fire downloaded SP2 manually and installed. I have created a user - enabled remote desktop and confirmed that that username and password works.

I have created a share folder in multiple locations to confirm it wasn't that with multiple users now but whenever I try to map a network drive from a Win 10 machine it says username and password is incorrect.

I have tried mapping it via static IP, by adding a domain in the username, by changing the security settings in how it connects, by installing a simple file hosting service through the windows server and setting it up that way. They are both in the same workgroup, same lan, same subnet they see each other can remote desktop no issues. I have confirmed credentials on the share folders.

I am not sure why its not working I have shared countless folders, all I can think of is because win 2003 is no longer supported and its a fresh install with SP2 and can't do windows updates that its missing something. Another older server that has win 2003 server can share them no problem but its a carry over from before they stopped supporting it and likely was patched for whatever it was missing.

Can anyone advise me please?

More Testing:

So I have a second Win 2003 server fresh install with SP2 and the two servers can see each other and network drive to one another without issue. Its only when I attempt to Network Drive from Windows 10 to the Windows 2003 Server Host that I get the incorrect username or password error.

So is there some sort of syn/ack handshack miss match or protocol issue or username / format issue I am missing here

I have attempted all sorts of types and so far no joy. Its likely something simple and I am just missing it.

Is there no patch or update or tool /setting that I can use that would stop from having to do this on modern computers wanting to connect to this? IE any other alternatives?

If you're in an enterprise setting (You're using active directory and group policy) you can simply make some GPPs and apply them. Otherwise no you would need to apply the registry tweaks which you could just export and make it easier to apply them.

Back
Top Bottom