Windows 7 Win 7 64bit file associatios

xixorro

I just did a clean install of windows 7 and now I have a problem with file associations.

The thing is.

avi files for instance are set to open with WMP but I want them to open with BSplayer.

If I click "open with" I have the recomended options MWP and WMC but Bsplayer isn't there nor under "other programs". If i browse to bsplayer and click it nothing happens. it wont change anything.

now with .srt files for example. They are no set to open with any program, and I dont even have an "open with" option. If i go to properties and try to change the file assotion I have notepad on the recomended programs but if i select it no thing happens.

is there a way to completely reset the file associations or to fiz this issue.

it is realy anoying.

I went to the menu were you are suposed to be able to set associations with all your programs but my installed programs like utorrent bsplayer and that stuff dont even apear there

Thanks

Last edited:
Applications usually have their own preferences for setting up related file associations.

I'm not familiar with BSplayer so I don't have any knowledge of what is available. Have you checked through preferences within BSplayer?

As was mentioned, most programs, when installed, will ask what file associations you want to set up. Did BSplayer ask for those permisstions?

Is the program compatible with Windows 7?

When you browsed for the program, you selected BSplayer.exe and it would not open?

It seems the program authors got greedy and lost favor. Is this a new version, and have you had an earlier version installed.

So. pick one type of file association. Go to the Start Menu, All Programs, Default Programs, Associate file type. Can you find an extension that shows your utility as being associated? Can you associate it?

Applications usually have their own preferences for setting up related file associations.

I'm not familiar with BSplayer so I don't have any knowledge of what is available. Have you checked through preferences within BSplayer?

Its not jus BSplayer, this happens with all my programs, I cant set any file association. i just wont work. I think I will reformat

There have been some other threads concern file association problems. Since your situation is not "standard" I would have to think something on you system had been altered in some way.

If you have been on a uTorrent site, maybe it is involved.

If you want to get into the registry, it seems the file association selections are kept in the key reference below, for each extension. You might check the .avi extension and see what it shows. Mine shows WMP in both the OpenWithProgids and UserChoice folders. If you have tried selecting another association, it should show that.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.avi

Since Explorer seems to be responsible for these changes, you might try running a SFC /scannow in an administrative command window to see if it finds anything.

You might also try running Explorer in Admin mode to see if the changes will take. You can do that by right clicking the Taskbar icon, the right clicking Windows Explorer and selecting Run as Admin.

I formatted the PC again, something was seriously wrong as all my associations couldn't be set to open with installed software. all seems fine now. even tried a restore point with no success.

Thanks

Back