Windows 7 Win 7 64bit + iTunes + 2nd Gen iPod Touch = Fail

photomankc

Did a clean install of the OS and installed the 64bit version of iTunes 8.1.1 and things were looking decent for a little while until I tried to sync a video to the iPod. The transfers always get part way through and then they stall. A few minutes later iTunes tosses an error saying the 'disk can't be accessed' and then that they sync failed. After that the iPod is lost to the PC and can not be reconnected. It won't even charge. The system gives me an error saying the device failed to install.

The best part is that this leaves ghost files on the iPod that consume space but can't be seen or removed. I hear lots of people say iTunes works great but not here. I have not been able to find a useful log message on the issue.

I hate iTunes.:mad:

May have worked around it. Time will tell.

I found there were a few related services running. iPod and Apple Mobile Device. I looked at those two and followed them back to the directories where they were installed. I found a number of apps that seemed to be related to syncing with the iPod. I set anything with 'sync' in the name to run as Vista compatible and rebooted the machine. I have gotten through several large syncs with my Touch now and I'm optimistic that I have this fixed. The main problem is this is rather unpredictable. It can happen on the first small file or the third try to copy a movie so I'll have to try doing a really big sync and see what happens.

Last edited:
Didn't work. Looks like I may have to wait a bit for a new version to come out. Still gets stuck while syncing to the iPod.

Same problem Here

I'm getting the same problem here, what kind of desktop / laptop do you have, I've tried everything from new usb drivers to 32 bit itunes vs 64 bit, to calling apple...(there answer was to send back to ipod for repair) so before i send it back on Monday I was wondering if you have found out what the problem is.

Thanks in advance

Ipod2 Windows7 64bit= fail

I also found out yesterday, when trying to sync my ipod, it failed with the same messages as listed by previous users.
Device timed out,
not connected etc.:mad:
Why dont they tell you, not to use sync withwindows 7 64 bit, I have heard so many people have had problems. Didnt Apple consider trying it out?

I am getting the same error message when I try to sync my Touch. It also locks up all my usb devices and I have to hard reboot. Can someone tell me if there is a fix.

Back