Windows 7 Win 7 Admin Help?

BKS

Please note that I am out of my league on this and I know it so keep it simple for me if you can help please.

I have downloaded a program from a manufacturer and it works fine when I copied it (which is OK with the manufacturer) to another computer with XP. On this computer which is Win7 when I try to open it I get a window telling me I am need permission from the administrator. This is my computer so........... I have done a little research and have gone in the command prompt and activated, rebooted and logged in as the admin but I still get the same result.

??????????????

Sorry just saw the post about support questions so I will repost this there!!!!!!!!!

Win 7 Admin ?

Please note that I am out of my league on this and I know it so keep it simple for me if you can help please.

I have downloaded a program from a manufacturer and it works fine when I copied it (which is OK with the manufacturer) to another computer with XP. On this computer which is Win7 when I try to open it I get a window telling me I am need permission from the administrator. This is my computer so........... I have done a little research and have gone in the command prompt and activated, rebooted and logged in as the admin but I still get the same result.

??????????????

Re: Win 7 Admin ?

Try right-clicking instead of left click and then choose properties. Click the compatibility Tab followed by 'Run as admin'. This will hopefully get you started.

Done That!!

I,ve even gone to the securities and allowed evryone including my ex brother inlaw access without any results.

There's nothing special about the program if anyone could test it. I know in todays enviroment thats probably considered a loaded statement!

But its the Lennox airconditioning website and the program is for the prodigy controller software. 23MB. Its got to be a 7 issue since I loaded it to a flash drive and used the same flash to install it on both laptops.

I downloaded and ran the install, (I have Admin rights automaticxally, but same thing if you follow Kemical's tip). No problems. It was not necessary to use compatibility mode (Windows 7 Ultimate)
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hi

I don't see another post so I will answer here.

There are 2 ways to respond when it says that things must be run as Administrator.

One is to right click on the file and select "Run as Administrator" the other is a more lengthy process that you used.

Just in case you didn't do it right..

How to Enable the Administrator Account

Open the command prompt with elevated privileges by clicking the Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then select Run as administrator.

Type

net user administrator /active:yes

and then press Enter.

Log out and log back in as Administrator.

When you are done undue the process by doing the same thing and pasting in

net user administrator /active:no

If neither of these is working I would try reinstalling the program on the Windows 7 computer and choosing the Run As Administrator option when you start the install. The fact that you copied it from the first computer to the second one may be the problem, it just may not see you as the admin.

You could try turning off the UAC too!

Mike

Last edited:
Saw your two threads one in discussion and one in support. MikeHawthorne helping in one and Kemical and davehc helping in the other. Moved and merged, hopefully to save confusion for everybody.
Best of luck with your issue and keep us posted.
Randy

Thanks for merging the threads Trouble and sorry I started posting without even a little research into site policies.

I appreciate the replies and I (think) have done all thats suggested. I downloaded the program on the Win 7 laptop and loaded onto the XP computer from a flash made by the Win 7 computer. As stated it loaded and runs fine on XP.

I have tried right clicking on the desktop icon and running as administrator and was denied. (contact your administrator)
I have gone to properties and checked permission for all the listed users with the same end result.
Logged into C prompt and changed to administrator as you have shown and same results.
Uninstalled the program and reinstalled while logged on as administrator and again same results.

Baffling just baffling. I really do thank you folks for responding and trying to lead the computer handicapped. And I have payed just enough attention to see that when all is done to change the admin setting back so I dont cause myself any unintentional damage. Anyone see where I am missing something?

Back
Top Bottom