Windows 7 Win 7 connect 20 devices - fact or fraud ?

ian100448

Hi,
I've just tried to replace an XP Pro computer used as a P2P server for a 10 workstation network with a Win7 64bit computer.

XP's connection device limit is 10 and in Win7 EULA it states 20 devices. But that doesn't seem to be true !!

I have one program on each workstations which accesses 3 shares on the server. There are other shares that each workstation NEEDS to access and a hidden share called IPC$ keeps incrementing it's connections as computer log in.

On XP when I go into Computer Management to view the shares and connections XP handles 30 with no problems but when I get close to the 20 mark in Win7 (that's share connections not device connections) all sorts of strange things begin to happen - shares connections are lost, files cannot be accessed etc.

Twice we have had to abort the installation and revert the client to his trusty old XP server. So it would seem that the EULA device limit of 20 devices is not a device limit but a share connection limit.

With XP about to expire why have MS taken this retrograde step. On the face of it would appear that Win7's 20 devices is double the limit of XP's, yet in reality its probably around half.

Any ideas/comments ???

Back