Windows 7 win 7 laptop printing to network printer prints blue and pink instead of black text

tbrownarcher

ihave a toshiba laptop running win 7 I'm on a network where the printer is plugged into a desktop running win XP via a USB cable.
If I print using the network printer from the laptop i get blue and pink lines where black should be. I have not tried to print a picture so i don't know the results of that.

thanks,
Nate

There can be many reasons for color problems like the tape not being removed from one of the ink cartridges or software fault, be before all that and before I even ask what printer it is, tell us... does this happen if you print from the desktop and not over the network?

Can you also give us the make and model of the printer? Do also have Win 7 drivers installed for the printer?

Last edited:
The printer is an HP officejet 5610 .

Yes I have printed from the desktop and it prints correctly and I have also printed from the laptop in question by plugging the printer into it via USB cable and it prints correctly. It's only through the network that it fails to print correctly.

Yes I have the drivers in the laptop I did this by plugging in the USB from the the printer and it did the driver download automaticly. I have done this 2 times trying to get it right

Last edited:
Thanks very much ... i guess i will just have to transfer something to print via the USB or a thumb drive cause HP blames anyone but them.

Thanks,
very much

If you are certain that you have downloaded and installed the Link Removed - Invalid URL for Windows 7 for that printer on the laptop machine. You may want to try adjusting the driver properties, try disabling bi-direction support if there, or disabling enale advanced printer features, under the advanced tab of printer properties, under the sharing tab make sure you check the box that says Render print jobs on client computers.
Additionally if you used the network printer wizard to intall the printer on the Win7 machine, you may try deleteing it and re-installing as a local printer and see if that helps.
Try this
Open Devices and Printers
Select add printer near the top menu bar
Select add local printer
Choose Create a new port and local port from drop down arrow Click Next
In the enter a port name do one of the following
1. \\MachineNameHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName or
2. \\ipaddressOfMachineHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName
In the install printer driver dialog box do one of the following
1. In the left panel select your printer manufacturer and in the right panel select your printer model (to use Win7 native drivers) or
2. Select the have disk button and direct the install process to the folder where you have download and extracted the Win 7 drivers for your printer.
Keep us posted and welcome to the forums.
Regards
Randy

Hey randy ..... a fishing buddy ???? wow nice striper is that a wiper or a striper i don't know the diff but i know the wipers are hard hitters ...I'm a large mouth fisher .... club tournaments ..... I have Large bass this year .... so far ..... I'm in iowa .... five me a holler..

:>)
nate

That's a striper although hard to tell from that image ( a different picture ). Wipers have broken lines. Those are from Lake Cumerland Kentucky where they are stocked for sport fishermen, lake record near 60 lbs. I'm in Indiana but have fished from Connecticut to Oklahoma and points between including Okeechobee but mostly Kentucky and Tennesee.
So as not to get to far off topic, are you having any luck with the printer issue?

I successfully created a new printer using \\MachineNameHostingPrinter.
Then I followed this instruction.

.)..1. In the left panel select your printer manufacturer and in the right panel select your printer model (to use Win7 native drivers

there was a line in one of the dialog boxes that asked for location i left it blank but it still prints .

I have a new default printer but it still prints exactly the same.

I get a line that is blue instead of black with a pink shadow over it and under it and some pink background between the text.

Last edited:
The printer is an HP officejet 5610 .

Yes I have printed from the desktop and it prints correctly and I have also printed from the laptop in question by plugging the printer into it via USB cable and it prints correctly. It's only through the network that it fails to print correctly.

Yes I have the drivers in the laptop I did this by plugging in the USB from the the printer and it did the driver download automaticly. I have done this 2 times trying to get it right

I'm concerned based on the above information that you are possibly using a driver that was acquired from the Microsoft Update utility and consequently do not have the full featured driver and are unable to take advantage of all the features. My first suggestion is to Link Removed - Invalid URL and download and install the real driver for your printer from HP, should be a self extracting executeable and will probably autorun the installation after double clicking, if at any point during the installation you are asked for the port/location of the printer, make sure you direct it to the new local port that you installed.
If that doesn't do the trick then I'm at a loss. Have you stepped through any of the HP Link Removed - Invalid URL and continuing through step five.
If the printer prints fine when attached locally with the usb cable it should print across the network unless like I said above you need to tweak some of the features of the driver. But you really need to make absolutely sure that you are using the full featured driver so you have all the whistles and bells available to you during the print process.

Ok ! Randy:

I did all that. At least I did it as best i could follow it. I think we have the problems on the run however .... instead of printing wrong colors what it did was shove a blank page out of the printer. But at least it's not printing blue with pink for black!

Nate

Back