Windows 7 Win 7 letdown!

tanzanos

Not only does my search bar lacking in search filters (cannot search for videos only etc) but I could never get print screen to work. With XP I never had any of the above problems. How can MS downgrade their OS to such an extent?????? I have tried all the solutions offered and nothing works:(

Not only does my search bar lacking in search filters (cannot search for videos only etc) but I could never get print screen to work. With XP I never had any of the above problems. How can MS downgrade their OS to such an extent?????? I have tried all the solutions offered and nothing works:(

Don't tell me.. you're one of those people who want to do things on their computer besides go to Facebook, right? Well grow up you baby! Windows 7 is the greatest thing to happen to all of humanity! Sure you can't sort your files by the letters of the alphabet, big deal! Sure the search is completely useless, so what! Who cares if Windows 7 can barely do half the stuff XP could do? XP is old and 7 is new, therefore 7 is better! It's a million gillion zillion times better because windows fade out slowly when you close them, giving you more time to marvel at the glory of how terrible, I mean super terrific, it is. I had way to much freedom with XP so I'm glad Windows 7 severely restricts what I can do on my own computer, on my own network, in my own house with my own files.

Replies to this thread have been deleted by persons unknown.
The original poster replied with...
"Yes but my PC has CLASSIC SHELL (it is free) which gives me classic menus. Now will someone please find a solution to fix the search problem so as to UPGRADE win 7 to the level of Win XP? PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!"
This has been deleted, as well as my answer that he try an alternative to windows explorer.

Last edited:
I don't want an alternative to W.E. I want Microsoft to stop HIDING menus and filters. The only way to search for videos is to type: "Kind:videos". There are many such filters like "Kind" and the fact that one needs to spend hours on the internet to find some of these keyword filters is a failure of MS. Win 7 has frozen, crashed to desktop so many times and I have lost so many hours of work that sometimes I wonder why I uninstalled XP in the first place. Win 7 is very sensitive to such things like SATA cables etc.

When I first tried to install Win7 I simply failed countless of times. When I reinstalled XP it installed like a charm. The problem was with the SATA cable and to think that this was not just a generic cable but a top of the line one.

Seriously now; MS has failed to grasp what professional users need from an OS. Search is terrible. The UI is a joke, Classic menu option is missing. I don't want candy; I want a stable and user friendly OS. :(

I don't want candy; I want a stable and user friendly OS. :(

I've got bad news for you then, you don't want Windows 7. If you don't like the search feature, do what everyone does, install a search program. Windows 7 is NOT user friendly, it's user SAFE. It was designed for people to check their e-mail, go online and go to Facebook. That's it. If you want to do more than that, you're either going to have to start looking for programs to do what XP can do but 7 can't, go back to XP, install Linux or get an Apple. Lots of people here will tell you that 7 is the "way of the future" and you better get used to doing less with your computer because that's better... I don't agree.

ps. They're not "hiding" menus and filters, they're just not there anymore. Remember... this is better.

I would question why you would not want to replace Explorer with something better? Explorer has been crap forever. I like Avanquest's Powerdesk but found it too resource hogging at times. I've since moved to Directory Opus (Australian) and this is great functional sw for file management, synchronizing, file finding, and having multiple panes and tabs. It is a real productivity engine if you are serious.

You won't get anywhere whining about MS's shortcomings, so be proactive and treat yourself to a product that works.

Last edited:
I would question why you would not want to replace Explorer with something better? Explorer has been crap forever. I like Avanquest's Powerdesk but found it too resource hogging at times. I've since moved to Directory Opus (Australian) and this is great functional sw for file management, synchronizing, file finding, and having multiple panes and tabs. It is a real productivity engine if you are serious.

You won't get anywhere whining about MS's shortcomings, so be proactive and treat yourself to a product that works.

I had no problem with windows explorer until I got a laptop with Windows 7. The fact that I can't sort my hundreds of folders alphabetically blows me away. As an explorer replacement I use Link Removed due to 404 Error. I tried Directory Opus, FreeCommander and Explorer++ as well, but only Link Removed due to 404 Error let me "show in groups" by letters of the alphabet like XP does. It also removes that miserable extending blue box around the folders that, when your explorer window is half the screen wide, dragging and dropping to add a new folder is impossible because there aren't any "safe zones" making your only option to move the new folder to an existing folder. Sometimes I think they did this stuff on purpose. Also Link Removed due to 404 Error has a search that actually works. There's another reason to switch.

I almost forgot... Explorer++ does let you "show in groups" like XP, but it has a problem displaying folders as small icons and the search is as bad as the one in Windows 7.

Last edited:
<SNIP> As an explorer replacement I use Link Removed due to 404 Error. I tried Directory Opus, FreeCommander and Explorer++ as well, but only Link Removed due to 404 Error let me "show in groups" by letters of the alphabet like XP does. <SNIP>

I almost forgot... Explorer++ does let you "show in groups" like XP, but it has a problem displaying folders as small icons and the search is as bad as the one in Windows 7.

Thanks for the heads up on CubicExplorer, Never came across my radar last year when looking. Dir Opus does had a group function I just tried which I think does what you want. In the View Mode there is a Group by function, and when using Filename it list the folder contents a 0-9 (qty), A-H, I-P, and Q-Z. It groups both folders and files, but there doesn't appear to be better resolution than these 4 groups. It does support other grouping arrangements like file type etc which I just realized is a handy function for myself. Otherwise the grouping of 4 seems clunky if I just wanted to capture all S files in a group.
Cheers

Thank you all for the feedback! I guess I will have to just use the search filter key words like "KIND:". Win 7 is definitely not for professionals and wait till you see Win8 My god they are turning our PCs into giant smartphones!!!!

In the View Mode there is a Group by function, and when using Filename it list the folder contents a 0-9 (qty), A-H, I-P, and Q-Z.

That's my (or one of my) biggest problem with 7. Who thought anyone would want to look in the middle of a group of 250 folder to find one that starts with a "D"? Wasn't XP easier, the folders that start with "D" are grouped under the letter "D". Link Removed due to 404 Error lets you group by letters... XP style. Nobody, at any time, will ever convince me that 7 is better. You can't organize your files, you can't search your files and you can't easily share your files between computers. Windows 7 is a complete failure. It was built for the Facebookers of the world who are impressed by bright colors and windows that slowly fade into nothingness when you close them, not for people who actually "use" their computers to do stuff.

Back