Windows 7 Win 7 Pro to Ultimate?

rendez

I have Win 7 Pro 64-bit student edition installed. I currently don't have a key entered and its running in 'trial' mode. It was installed from the retail student DVD. I've now got a key (no CD) for the Ultimate edition. I assumed I could register my copy with this but it informs me I have the wrong copy or run setup? Do I need to get an ultimate disc and install from scratch and lose everything?

I have Win 7 Pro 64-bit student edition installed. I currently don't have a key entered and its running in 'trial' mode. It was installed from the retail student DVD. I've now got a key (no CD) for the Ultimate edition. I assumed I could register my copy with this but it informs me I have the wrong copy or run setup? Do I need to get an ultimate disc and install from scratch and lose everything?

You can upgrade your Pro Version to Ultimate providing you can find an ultimate full install or upgrade disk. Boot to your Pro Version, insert the ultimate disk, and select upgrade. Since you have the key (supposedly) you don't need to buy the disk, just have one for the install time period. There are instructions on making your Pro Disk an "all-version" disk on the internet but I'm not going there in this response.

Back
Top Bottom