Windows 8 Win 8.1 machine can't see Win 10 machine

MikeyChris

Extraordinary Member
I have a notebook running Win 8.1 that cannot see share4d files on a Win 10 Pro 64 bit machine. The Win 10 machine CAN see files shared on the Win 8.1 machine. I have checked sharing and permissions, and can't seem to correct this. Any ideas what's wrong here? Thanx.

Are they on the same LAN (Local Area Network) or on different LANs?

What are your current File sharing settings on both machines? (Can you take some screen shots and post here)

check Firewall settings on Windows 10 machine?

Let me begin by apologizing for not posting more pertinent data. My bad. Perhaps this will help:
1) I can ping both ways (to/from each machine)
2) The Win 10 machine says it's in Network 2 (I never did understand WHERE that name came from)
3) The Win8 machine says it's connected to net 2G (my wireless network).Airplane mode is off.
4) The win10 machine is brand new, and the Win8 machine is 5 years old (was working on the "old" win10 machine).
5) The shared files I am trying to "see" on the Win 10 machine (from the Win8 machine) are indeed shared.
6) I'm not sure what settings to check in DEFENDER.
7) FWIW I just discovered a Win10 Home laptop isn't showing up on the net any more either. I guess I changed something.

When I check SYSTEM on all machines, they show they belong to the WORKGROUP. So, it seems my MAIN (not only) problem is bridging the wireless network to the wired net. Right now there is only one computer on the wired network. I may be in over my hear here. I do OK with general computer stuff, but I never had any real network training. Is there something basic I'm missing here? Thanx.

The wired and wireless networks are already the same network unless you have some unusual setup. Can you try connecting to the Windows 10 machine with \\win10IPaddress. If you are not able to connect then it's likely a firewall issue. If you can and it's empty then it's a sharing issue.

The wired and wireless networks are already the same network unless you have some unusual setup. Can you try connecting to the Windows 10 machine with \\win10IPaddress. If you are not able to connect then it's likely a firewall issue. If you can and it's empty then it's a sharing issue.
OK, I'm not sure how to login using the IP address. If I enter the ip of the win10 machine into a browser url field (e.g. 192.168.1.6) all I get is an error message (This page can't be displayed). I can PING the win10 machine from the Win8.1 machine, but I don't know how to do the login thing.

OK, I Googled it and logged in to the win10 machine from the win8 machine using the mstsc tool (remote desktop). I was indeed able to use the remote desktop feature and saw the desktop on the win10 machine (visible on the win8 machine). So... what does all that mean? Thanx again for the help.

You can do it from the run box or straight from the file explorer

1537220027909.png

Then they are not shared properly.

You'll have two sets of permissions (Share, and NTFS[local]) Local will win over share and so will deny

So, it seems my MAIN (not only) problem is bridging the wireless network to the wired net. Right now there is only one computer on the wired network. I may be in over my hear here. I do OK with general computer stuff, but I never had any real network training. Is there something basic I'm missing here? Thanx.

Do you have the possibility to connect both computers through cable?

If the problem persists even when both computers are connected via cable then it is most likely caused by Firewall settings or wrong File sharing settings. Disable the Firewall temporarily on both machines and try to share, just to check if it is related to it. Then enable the Firewall again, first on the Windows 8 machine and try to share and then on Windows 10 machine.

Do you have the possibility to connect both computers through cable?

If the problem persists even when both computers are connected via cable then it is most likely caused by Firewall settings or wrong File sharing settings. Disable the Firewall temporarily on both machines and try to share, just to check if it is related to it. Then enable the Firewall again, first on the Windows 8 machine and try to share and then on Windows 10 machine.
Disabling the firewalls didn't help. It's looking like I have the sharing settings wrong, but I cannot figure out WHAT is wrong. I will make a step-by-step list of what I am doing and post it here. Maybe you can tell me what I did wrong. Thanx.

OK, hre's the specific steps I took to try to share a file on the Win 10 machine:

1. Open File Explorer

2. Drill down to file I want to share

3. Select file that I want to share

4. Click SHARE tab on the ribbon bar

5. Click SPECIFIC PEOPLE in pull down menu

6. Highlight EVERYONE and select READ/WRITE

7. Click SHARE

8. Click NEXT

9. Click DONE

10. Right click the same file

11. Click PROPERTIES

12. Select SECURITY tab

13. Click EVERYONE

14. Click EDIT

15. FULL CONTROL/MODIFY/etc. is already selected and greyed out

16. Click OK

17. Click ADVANCED

18. Select SHARE tab

19. Click EVERYONE

20. FULL CONTOL access is already granted

21. Click OK twice.

That’s it. Did I miss anything? At this point the Wim 8.1 machine still cannot see the shared file on the win10 machine. FWIW, another computer (win 10 Home) cannot see the shared file either. Also, all machines involved have been rebooted after all these steps were completed.

Any suggestions? Thanx again!

Can we back up a moment? Neemobeer said:"If you are not able to connect then it's likely a firewall issue. If you can and it's empty then it's a sharing issue." This was with reference to connecting via ip address. Please understand I CAN see shared files on the Win 8 machine FROM the Win 10 machine. Even so, when I open a browser on the Win 10 machine, and enter "http://192.168.014" (the ip of the win8 machine) I still get the "Can't reach this page" message. Are you saying I should be seeing the shared folders/files on the win 8 machine? Because I do not see anything except the message.

OK, I'm learning as I go along here... When I open a browser on the win 8 machine, and enter "\\netname\share" on the Win 8 machine (browser url window), i see an Explorer window that is viewing the share on the Win 10 machine. IOW, the shared folder/file is "seen" by the win 8 machine when using the computer network names. So, what does this mean? The share has to be OK, right? Does this point to the firewall? I have disabled the firewall (on both win 8/10 machines) and still had the issue. Are we getting close????

Please understand I CAN see shared files on the Win 8 machine FROM the Win 10 machine
Being able to connect from the Win 10 to Win 8 box shared files is mutually exclusive of being able to connect from Win 8 to Win 10 shared files.

HTTP://IP/hostname would require having a web server running and also would point to the root of the web directory and has nothing to do with file sharing.

Neemobeer and livix07 I appreciate all your help and suggestions. I am happy to say this issue was resolved by a member (over on the tenforum board) named Eagle 51. The fix was this (on the Win 10 Pro machine):

Check Windows Services and make sure the following two services are Running and their startup type is Automatic Delay
Function Discovery Provider Host (FDPHost)
Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub)

FDPHost was running, but FDResPub was not, and they were both set to manual start.

So I guess this thread should have been under Win 10 Networking rather than Win 8. Sorry, my bad. I have no idea WHY these services were not set right, it may well have been my fault. I admit I tinker, and sometimes get in over my head.

Anyway, thanx for your help!

It's odd that that would allow you to access the share resources. FDPH and FDRP are really only to make your device visible in the "Network" resource in the file explorer. Those don't have anything to do with viewing shared directories.

It's odd that that would allow you to access the share resources. FDPH and FDRP are really only to make your device visible in the "Network" resource in the file explorer. Those don't have anything to do with viewing shared directories.
From what you are saying, I am assuming I didn't describe the problem properly. The issue was indeed that the shares on the Win 10 machine were NOT visible in File Explorer. As I wrote in an earlier message, I could share the files by using the \\computername\filenamemnetwork search. I originally described the problem as not being able to share files because at that time I thought that was the issue. I had never tried accessing shares any other way than through file explorer. So, it seems I described the issue incorrectly.

Back