Windows 8 Win 8 and me

Randy, she's not new. We try not to indulge her or encourage her. @ this late stage, we just ignore her; goes better than responding to her. Easier on our nerves & saves space. Just a heads up for you to spare you frustration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Drew - that's sure going to wind up her engine!
I liked this, Trouble,
"I'm still trying to find something that I can do on Windows 8 that I can't do on Windows 7. "
I have read posted raves about the new hidden features the response etc etc.. I cannot experience any of these things. I am hoping that the RTM will be a huge improvement, as it was with Windows 7.
My own tests, with a simple wristwatch, have not even shown the remarkable extra speed of Windows 8, in its daily useage. In fact, I am afraid I have a general slowdown of most functions, particualerly when using Firefox or IE.
I have always enthused regarding new releases. I even tuned up Vista and got to like it. But this time, so far, it is thumbs down.
For personal reasons, I will have to continue to become familiar with it, through the final release but, at this stage, I am prepared to settle for Windows 7 as my (I'm an old guy) final OS on this planet.

Fwiw. I posted this on the Technet forums in March last year. It led to a very argumentive, long thread. My opinion has not changed:
"Windows (codename 8) is , imho, beginning to shape up as the biggest disapointment ever for those who jump on the new release bandwagons. I have read posts on this forum and others, regarding the reaction to the "leaks". I have downloaded and tried the last two leaks. The so-called "hidden" features are, at this stage, nothing to swoon about. Fwiw, I see Windows 8, or whatever it may be called, not as a move on from the superb 7, but an intermediary release, mainly dedicated to tablet users. Tablets, in their many forms, are enroaching on Microsofts control of the computer market. Windows 8 is an attempt to counteract it. For normal, non tablet users, I do not see, (with the info so far available to us), windows 8 bringing anything outstanding into our lives. - Except, possibly, the touchscreen advancement? "

Hello Andrea, and if no one has done so already, I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you here on the Windows 8 Forum.
I am sorry to hear that you are dis-heartened, defeated and apparently overwhelmed by the latest release of Windows 8.
You need to understand that Microsoft made a very public announcement a while back, something to the effect that they intended to "Re-imagine Windows" I can't help but wonder what you and others (you're not alone) thought that they intended when they made that statement.
I myself, am not overly enamored with the new interface and I'm still trying to find something that I can do on Windows 8 that I can't do on Windows 7. To me it's a lot of doing the same old stuff a different way and not an overly compelling reason to endorse the new Operating System.
But I think you need to give yourself a little bit more credit and the new Operating System a fair chance and see if you can't manage to use the interface a little more successfully than you think you can.
It's easy to criticize and reject out of hand something new, just because it's new. I didn't like when Chrysler changed the 300s body style a few years back, but after a couple model years, I kinda like it now.
Give it a fair chance and if you decide it's not for you.... then, fair enough. Nothing wrong with Windows 7. It's likely to be around for years to come.
And who knows, if this thing gets Vista'd then Windows 9 might be Windows Unimagined.
As I said you are not alone.
Windows 8 Survey: Half Who Have Tried the OS Wouldn't Recommend It | PCWorld

Well Windows 8 DP worked because you could disable the Metro theme and there were few crashes.

But windows 8 CP is completely the opposite of that. Microsoft have changed Windows 8 CP. And they really should have just made CP like the DP. But sadly they have not done this.

Now you cannot disable the Metro theme and there are bugs in CP as I explained. I would have kept Windows 8 DP but it expired on March 11 2012. So I could not keep it.

Windows 8 DP was okay not as fast as Windows 7 but very usable. But Windows 8 CP is not the same at all. Andrea Borman.

Instead of wasting bandwidth and everybody's time with your nonstop whining and ranting the same old crap over and over just go back to Windows 7.
Joe

LMAO!! OMG, Joe, how beautifully subtle!! Good for you, mate!! Oh, just bloody priceless!! LOL!

Well Windows 8 DP worked because you could disable the Metro theme and there were few crashes.

But windows 8 CP is completely the opposite of that. Microsoft have changed Windows 8 CP. And they really should have just made CP like the DP. But sadly they have not done this.

Now you cannot disable the Metro theme and there are bugs in CP as I explained. I would have kept Windows 8 DP but it expired on March 11 2012. So I could not keep it.

Windows 8 DP was okay not as fast as Windows 7 but very usable. But Windows 8 CP is not the same at all. Andrea Borman.
Yes you are correct there is no Start / Start Orb / Start Button, I am sorry, but evidently Microsoft is not.
Yes you are correct there is no native ability built into Windows 8 to disable the Metro UI. So you need to get over it.
Or wait until some brilliant third party programmer comes up with a program to do so to your satisfaction. Which I'm relatively certain is right around the corner, but maybe not.
Wasting your time grousing about things you can't do would be better spent discovering things you can.
Regards
Randy

Try this Andrea. if you like it, go with it. I am certain though, that there will be some useful changes before the final release, which may satisfy you..
Start Menu 7

Trouble wrote-
Yes you are correct there is no Start / Start Orb / Start Button, I am sorry, but evidently Microsoft is not.
Yes you are correct there is no native ability built into Windows 8 to disable the Metro UI. So you need to get over it.
Or wait until some brilliant third party programmer comes up with a program to do so to your satisfaction. Which I'm relatively certain is right around the corner, but maybe not.
Wasting your time grousing about things you can't do would be better spent discovering things you can.
Regards
Randy

But if Microsoft are going to release the final version of Windows 8 to the public. They must give us the option to disable Metro.What's hard about that? They did give us the option in DP. I don't see the problem in letting us disable Metro.

Also in other operating systems like Linux, they don't have the Metro theme. And even versions of Linux like Ubuntu.They have a drop down Windows 2000 style start menu at the top of the screen. Showing all of the programs.

I think you can move the taskbar, or panel, as it's called on Linux to the bottom of the Screen on Ubuntu.But I am not sure.But it's a start menu. And you can also move your taskbar to the top of the screen, or the left, or right on Windows 7,Windows XP and Windows 2000 also.

I have looked at other operating systems besides Windows, and I don't know of any operating system that has the Metro theme.Only Windows 8.

So if other open source operating systems like Linux, which is aimed at people more experienced with computers. If they can give us a start menu, why can't Microsoft give us a start menu in Windows 8?

Microsoft are being awkward by not letting us disable the Metro theme. They have locked out all codes and registry hacks and third party software that would do this for us.

And they are also being cruel and spiteful by putting secure boot on new computers. So we cannot install Windows XP,Windows 7,Linux, or any other operating system.

So it seems that both Windows and Linux users are doomed to be stuck with Windows 8. When the time comes to buy a new laptop. Because if secure boot goes ahead, we won't be able to install Windows 7 or Windows XP on new laptops with Windows 8.

davehc,wrote-
Try this Andrea. if you like it, go with it. I am certain though, that there will be some useful changes before the final release, which may satisfy you..
Start Menu 7

But I don't want to pay for software. Is it free to use? Classic Shell was free and I liked the different start menus you got. You get Windows XP,Windows 2000 and Windows 7 and some other nice features. But Classic Shell does not work on Windows 8 CP.

And also I would rather turn off Metro altogether. As I found on my netbook Windows 8 ran a lot better with the Metro theme disabled on DP. And I was running it on a netbook. Andrea Borman.

I've created my own Classic windows desktop. I have the Programs menu, all my security software, my Control Panel and even old SOL from XP.
I also have the Quick Shutdown icon in the left corner, where anyone would expect to find it.
You just have to get off your pity pillow and get creative.

Desktop2.jpg

Cheers!
:cool:

I've created my own Classic windows desktop. I have the Programs menu, all my security software, my Control Panel and even old SOL from XP.
I also have the Quick Shutdown icon in the left corner, where anyone would expect to find it.
You just have to get off your pity pillow and get creative.
Cheers!

But you still don't have a start menu. And that's not good enough. Also it's not just the no start menu that's the problem.

I could not pin shortcuts to my desktop from Windows Explorer, because there is a bug in the ribbon toolbar. That freezes my mouse and my whole computer. Which needs to be fixed by Microsoft.

So not having a start menu was not the only problem on Windows 8 CP. But I never had any of these problems on DP. Not even with the Metro theme or the ribbon. Andrea Borman.

DrWho
It looks like you are running AVG. If so did you simply disable the built in MSE? Are you still using Windows firewall? My desktop in W7 is similar in icon placement the rest get put in a folder.
Joe

But I don't want to pay for software. Is it free to use? Classic Shell was free and I liked the different start menus you got. You get Windows XP,Windows 2000 and Windows 7 and some other nice features. But Classic Shell does not work on Windows 8 CP.
. Andrea Borman.

Yes. It is free. There is a pro version, with a few more options, but you pay for that.

Andrea, Please DO NOT quote a post with pictures. No one needs to see it twice and it's extremely wasteful of HD space on the server.

You're only displaying your own ineptitude. I finally have just about everything I need.

When I've installed any of those Win-7 look-a-like programs they have screwed up my browsers. Right now, everything is working AOK.

I just finished a Ghost backup of my entire C: drive, so if something mucks up my Win-8 install, I can quickly do a recovery.
I've also figured out how to make System Restore points, which I will do before installing anything that I deem hazardous. :)

Cheers Mates!
The Doctor :cool:

Joe,
Yes I AM running AVG FREE on this install. I own the PRO version but I elected to just use the free one for now.
The PRO version does have its own Firewall, but for now I'm still using the Windows Firewall.

MSE? I have not seen it running, but I'll check again.
Currently I have AVG, Malware Bytes Pro, Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster installed.
AVG and Malware Bytes run concurrently, (at the same time) and seem to get along just fine.

Cheers!
Doc :cool:

DrWho, Mine is almost identical to your desktop layout except I used the Quick Launch Toolbar for the Shutdown, Restart and Control Panel icons. This gives me more flexibility in the Right Click context menu for these icons. The remaining icons are pinned to the Task bar. You will also notice a Links and Shortcuts Toolbars pinned to the Taskbar. These includes all the shortcuts to the apps or links I need to access. These items combined with the Win Key +X system Management Tools gives me everything the old Start Menu gave me. I do not miss it at all.

I got rid of all the 3rd party Start Menu apps as well. Just don't need them. I do have my desktop picture cycle every 10 minutes through a bunch of different landscapes. I like variety. People that are continually griping about the Start Menu have not tried to do any of these things.

I also created an Image of everything as well. All 3 partitions in one Image file (I only have one HD)

View attachment 144

I hope the screen shot can be seen. I downsized it a little.

Note: Biggest difference is I have both Shutdown and Restart Buttons on QL Bar. It appears you have just Shutdown.

That means you now have 2 securities & should never have more than 1 @ any 1 time in any 1 machine. MSE is embedded in Windows8 & ON, by default. There was/is no need to put a security on 8... & certainly not an additional. Best remove 1 of them, like say, the unneeded AVG.

Cheers,
Drew

There is not now, nor has there ever been any one program or suite of programs, from the same vendor, that will protect any PC 100%.
Anyone who thinks that is totally in error.

As I already stated, AVG and Malware Bytes do not do the same job and they DO get along just fine together.
I will uninstall Nothing!

You're mixing apples & oranges... more than 1 anti-malware is ok. More than 1 anti-virus is not. Malwarebytes is am not an a-v.

That fact that Defender (what MSE is called in Windows8) is off means everything is alright. IT shut off when you installed AVG, cus Windows8 is smart. And you do not need to uninstall either but, only due to the above not, cus you think you have reason to be huffy.

Cheers,
Drew

Back