Windows 8 Win 8 and me

Well, in that case, Andrea, stick with Windows 7 and stop posting about an OS you are not going to use.

Well Windows 8 DP was all right because it was more user friendly,had no bugs, and you could disable the Metro theme. And I thought that Windows 8 CP was going to be the same, but it is not.

And if they bring out Windows 8, they may stop selling Windows 7, and we will be forced to buy Windows 8. I think Microsoft should just put all of the versions of Windows out on sale,Windows 95,98,Windows 200,Windows XP,Windows Vista and Windows 7. And then we can just buy the version of Windows we want.

And that would solve all our problems. Andrea Borman.

I installed Win 8 on my laptop that I use for tutoring Elements for members of a PC group. Installed the Customer review version as an updated to Windows 7. No problems. One small irritant, the ATI Catalyst message keeps showing up but I don't see anything that does not work.

I took me just a few hours to learn to navigate the Metro UI and although I don't have a touch screen I find it easy.
The only thing I wish is that it would be easier to find the Windows 8 Help. What surprises me is that after 2 weeks, there have not been any updates, unless they get installed automatically.
Switching betwee apps is very fast and I love the Sart live apps like Weather and Financials

I installed Win 8 on my laptop that I use for tutoring Elements for members of a PC group. Installed the Customer review version as an updated to Windows 7. No problems. One small irritant, the ATI Catalyst message keeps showing up but I don't see anything that does not work.

I took me just a few hours to learn to navigate the Metro UI and although I don't have a touch screen I find it easy.
The only thing I wish is that it would be easier to find the Windows 8 Help. What surprises me is that after 2 weeks, there have not been any updates, unless they get installed automatically.
Switching betwee apps is very fast and I love the Sart live apps like Weather and Financials
Hello Rosita and welcome to the forums.
Good for you. So nice to have a relatively fresh point of view. Thanks for adding to the conversation.
Regards
Randy

Well I only want to use Windows 8 with the Windows 7 start menu like I did in DP. I don't want the metro theme at all. Andrea Borman.

Well I only want to use Windows 8 with the Windows 7 start menu like I did in DP. I don't want the metro theme at all. Andrea Borman.
Yes, thank you Andrea. I think everyone is very well aware by this time as to what you would like. Unfortunately as best I can tell that is not going to be possible, not at least natively. And continuing to repeat it post after post is not going to make it happen. There maybe some better third party solutions coming at sometime in the future and I'm relatively certain that if and when that happens the information will be everywhere on the internet.
In the mean time please stay on topic. The title of this thread is "Win 8 and me" it is not "Win 8 and not me"
Your cooperation and understanding in this matter is sincerely appreciated.
Thank you
Randy

Rosita, welcome to the forum! Hope that you're enjoying Windows 8 CP. Yes, it's quite easy to navigate around, putting forth a little effort to learn helps a lot.

As to the updates, when you setup Windows 8 CP, there was an option to automatically install recommended updates & settings. Or you could customize it. If you chose to automatically do this, that may be why you haven't seen them. Because yesterday, there were 4 updates for my PC & 5 for my notebook (After setup, I went back & changed to manual updating). That's why I seen them.

The updates are installed silently by the system, and are probably finalized by a reboot or startup. When my updates completed yesterday (this was really odd), it said that I had 2 weeks to reboot for the updates to complete. You can still go to the Control Panel, select Windows Update, and view Installed Updates, if you're wondering what's been updated.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Well Windows 8 DP was all right because it was more user friendly,had no bugs, and you could disable the Metro theme. And I thought that Windows 8 CP was going to be the same, but it is not.

And if they bring out Windows 8, they may stop selling Windows 7, and we will be forced to buy Windows 8. I think Microsoft should just put all of the versions of Windows out on sale,Windows 95,98,Windows 200,Windows XP,Windows Vista and Windows 7. And then we can just buy the version of Windows we want.

And that would solve all our problems. Andrea Borman.
Andrea, here's a place that sells legit Windows software. They have Windows 2000, XP, Vista & 7, and many Office packages. They also carry other branded software. Check it out.

microsoft | RoyalDiscount.com

You want Windows 2000? You got it! But be prepared for driver issues with newer computers. Even those netbooks that runs XP. I have XP on my desktop, tried for 3 days to install Windows 2000 Pro. I was able to install & update. But could not get graphics to work. Even Driver Detective couldn't help me (I called them in advance), nor Raxco's Perfect Updater (the makers of Perfect Disk, which I have). The techs at Raxco said they couldn't help, even for their $29.95 fee. Good Luck with that one.

Cat

Andrea, here's a place that sells legit Windows software. They have Windows 2000, XP, Vista & 7, and many Office packages. They also carry other branded software. Check it out.

microsoft | RoyalDiscount.com

You want Windows 2000? You got it! But be prepared for driver issues with newer computers. Even those netbooks that runs XP. I have XP on my desktop, tried for 3 days to install Windows 2000 Pro. I was able to install & update. But could not get graphics to work. Even Driver Detective couldn't help me (I called them in advance), nor Raxco's Perfect Updater (the makers of Perfect Disk, which I have). The techs at Raxco said they couldn't help, even for their $29.95 fee. Good Luck with that one.

Cat

Thanks but I don't like to order online as I don't feel safe giving my credit card details online. I only buy things in a shop or store.

But you are right.I don't think Windows 2000 would work on my Windows 7 netbooks. Because the drivers are different,they are Windows 7 drivers. But when I looked at my drivers in the file SwSetup. Where they have the installer files to install the drivers. I saw the drivers are for Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Some of the installers are for both Vista and 7. So I may get away with installing Windows Vista and the drivers could still work. But if I were to install Windows XP they may not do.

And even on my Windows XP netbooks that came installed with Windows XP,when I bought them. If I were to install Windows 2000 on the Windows XP netbooks,again the drivers may not work.

So Windows 2000 is probably out, if I want all of my drivers and most important my wireless network drivers to work. And I don't think they have wireless network in Windows 2000 anyway. So even if I did get Windows 2000 working,I would probably have to use wired broadband.

My netbooks are HP Mini 210 Windows 7. But Windows Vista could probably work on those netbooks. But anything else not. And even on the Windows XP netbooks, the drivers might not work with Windows 2000. Unless I had a Windows 2000 laptop.

I think that's right is it not? Andrea Borman.

Final warning before I start deleting irrelevant posts and issuing infractions.
The title of the thread is "Win 8 and me"
Not "Every conceivable Microsoft and Other Operating System and me"
I asked politely for your cooperation.
Randy

Final warning before I start deleting irrelevant posts and issuing infractions.
The title of the thread is "Win 8 and me"
Not "Every conceivable Microsoft and Other Operating System and me"
I asked politely for your cooperation.
Randy

Back on topic. When Microsoft bring out the final version of Windows 8 that will be on sale to the public.Will they bring back the option to disable the Metro theme and have the Windows 7 desktop and start menu? Do you know the answer to that question?

Because if I and other ordinary home computer users are going to buy Windows 8. We must have the option to disable Metro and have the Windows 7 start menu. It is the only thing that I, and other Windows users understand, and know how to use.

Do you know if Microsoft will bring back the option to disable the Metro theme and have the Windows 7 start menu in the final version of Windows 8? Andrea Borman.

Creating extra Tiles in Metro

I have sorted out various extra tile, for programmes etc but does anyone know how to get a tile to shut down the computer. It would make for handy shutting down and I have seen some screen shots with this.

Andrea, it's way too early to know what MS will do with Windows 8, including when it will be offered for sale. If you register your copy of Windows with Microsoft, you'll be placed on the email list, and will be informed of specials & pricing. Just make sure that the boxes are checked to allow promotional emails.

We all know what you want, what you're going to have to do is wait & see if it has the features you're seeking. There will probably be some changes to the OS, but we don't have a crystal ball. But I'm sure that Microsoft will read your suggestions. There is a feedback/suggestion link.

Join Our User Panel

There, you can make suggestions on Windows & Windows Live products. They will be happy to hear your feedback, and being that MS is going to make any final decisions, they're the ones you need to direct your concerns to.

Cat

Here you go: I put mine on/in Quick Launch. Personally, I can't imagine life w/out Quick Launch!

Shutdown: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

Restart: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /r /t 0

The steps to add the buttons are:

1.Navigate to:C:\Users\[USERID]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
2.Right-Click & select New -> Shortcut
3.Type the location of the item: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0 (This can be changed as shown above for Restart)
4.Click Next
5.Type a name for this shortcut: Shutdown NOW! (Restart Now)
6.Click Finish
7.Press Windows Key to return to Start Page
8.Right-Click on the new tile
9.Click Open file location
10.Click Change Icon
11.Click OK when you get the error message.
12.Click the Shutdown Icon
13.Click OK
14.Click Apply
15.Click OK

Unfortunate off-topic response for clarification purposes:

Andrea, Please DO NOT quote a post with pictures. No one needs to see it twice and it's extremely wasteful of HD space on the server.

Just for both your knowledge, this wastes no additional hard drive space at all. The resource management system introduced with later versions of vBulletin simply uses the same file. And with thumbnails, bandwidth is currently of little concern at the moment. Attachments are not deployed across our content delivery network: only static images and dynamic scripts are. This is used to speed up rendering at remote points around the world.

Mike,
Right now, I'm testing the 32 bit version of Win-8/PP (public preview).
I have the 64 bit ver. on another HD, just for comparison purposes.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember, but years ago there were only two types of
printer drivers, for compatibility. Epson and IBM.
It would seem like MS remembers that when they put printer drivers into their OS's.
When I first started testing Win-8/DP, I had three different Epson printers sitting here with
the oldest one being about six years old. Win-8 loaded acceptable drivers for all three.
I do remember this, and that is interesting. I wonder if this diminishes the WHQL certification process by any measure, or if they are simply listed as Microsoft Compatibility Drivers?
MS did leave out a lot of things from their /PP version, maybe to make downloads easier.
Themes, sounds, wallpaper are all at a bare minimum, possibly to make room for more
drivers. Works for me! I'm anxious, to see just how big the final release is.
They will not show off the branding until the very end. For example, I sincerely doubt that the Metro UI backgrounds will simply encompass a color wheel. We will see the full extent of the product branding on the final release version, for certain, but unlikely before, unless a release candidate slips.
I even went into the registry, to do some tweaking and I found many registry keys missing.
I assume that if I added them back in, that they would still work, but there's no guarantee
of that.
Uncertain. Especially if the structure of the registry is intentionally changing. It is possible that the CP was just a fork from a nightly build that seemed stable enough to show off. I doubt much preparation went into it outside of branching it off for public use and determining that it was reasonably stable. I am curious as to whether or not anyone has determined if the build was compiled with debug/checked code or is actually fully optimized. If it is a checked build many compiler optimizations will be disabled in favor of debugging support. Once Windows OEM's and retails, checked builds are usually still provided on MSDN and TechNet for testing purposes, but a final and full optimization is performed on the free build before it goes out the door. This is something I am still very curious about.

Back