Windows 8 Win 8 and me

As a MS Beta-tester, my W8 ISO came from Connect not, the public site. From Connect both versions are available... Checked Build & 'regular'. Would, I believe, be the same via MSDN or TechNet subscriptions.

Cheers,
Drew

As a MS Beta-tester, my W8 ISO came from Connect not, the public site. From Connect both versions are available... Checked Build & 'regular'. Would, I believe, be the same via MSDN or TechNet subscriptions.

Cheers,
Drew
TechNet does offer a few "checked" builds, but not a lot. Most of the OS's & Office Suites available from TechNet, are the same ones that are full versions. When I was a member a little over a year ago, there were only about 3 checked builds. I have 1 of them, a Vista one, I may as well garbage it, because that's what it amounts to.

I'm going to get another subscription later in the year, late in the fall, but will go with a Desktop subscription, rather than the Pro Plus. I only need the recent OS's & Office Suites, already have a ton of XP, Office 2007 & early stuff. MSDN is too costly for me. The main difference in the Pro & Desktop subscriptions are the number of keys issued. Pro gets 5 of each, Desktop gets 2.

That's why I have 15 or 16 OS's installed all over the place. Windows 8 & a modern Office will be my next projects.

Cat

Last edited by a moderator:
For Windows 8 consumer, there are no checked builds on Technet. But they are available on msdn. You can see there is a small difference in size This is what MS have to say on the subject.

"The checked build of Microsoft Windows makes identifying and diagnosing operating-system-level problems easier.

The checked build differs from the free build in the following ways:

Many compiler optimizations (such as stack frame elimination) are disabled in the checked build. This makes it easier to understand disassembled machine instructions, and therefore it is easier to trace the cause of problems in system software.

The checked build enables a large number of debugging checks in the operating system code and system-provided drivers. This helps the checked build to identify internal inconsistencies and problems as soon as they occur.

Distribution media that contain the checked build are clearly labeled as "Debug/Checked Build." The checked build distribution medium contains the checked version of the operating system, plus the checked versions of HALs, drivers, file systems, and even many user-mode components. For information about obtaining this build.

The checked build is only available on CD by subscribing to the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN), or to MSDN subscribers through the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) website."

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. My post was only for Cattiley's information. A very quick glance through the downloads, (TechNet plus) did not show any "Checked" versions. in the OS section or in the Office suites. Not very important to Catt, I would imagine. I guess, with a public release, everybody is, of sorts, a Beta tester but, fwiw, an MSDN sub does give an automatic outlet to connect, with full access to the Beta feedback tool and information.

They're not that high. The Desktop subscription is $199, $149 renewals. Pro is $349, I can't remember the renewal price. But I got it with a 25% discount code at the time.

They email me discount codes to come back from time to time, but I don't think that the promo pricing applies to the Desktop subscription. I'll rejoin in the fall, or before Windows 8 CP's support ends.

Cat

Back