Windows 7 Win7 - beta not as stable as everyone thinks or is it just me?

lawson23

NOT RESPONDING
Ok I just need to know if others are experiencing the same things I am? After hearing the cry that 7 beta was a FINISHED product and should be released as is, I thought I should take a look.

I have loaded it on a dell d630 and have problems ALL the fricken time!

Explorer hangs I get so much Not Responding crap it is ridiculous. I installed Virtual PC 2007 so that I could run explorer just so I could do some of my Admin task say ESM anyone! Anyways everyday I have my xp vm open if I have had it open for a few hours and go to shut it down guess what:
NOT RESPONDING in fact it is so bad it won’t close or die unless I do a Shutdown and force close. If I try end process it does nothing. The error report to send to MS takes about 20 minutes just to compile then the send takes forever! It is so long that I just say forget it and cancel. If I do start it up though and shut it down in a few minutes it has no problems shutting down or restarting.

Just wondering if it is just me or not? Or maybe the dell d630?

If that is build 7048, then yes I was getting that "Windows Explorer has stopped responding" error.

I have 7022 on a Dell D630 with absolutely no problems.

I skipped 7048 and installed 7057 and found it to be a bit slower so went back to 7022.

I'll wait for the RC.

Good luck

I have 7022 on a Dell D630 with absolutely no problems.

I skipped 7048 and installed 7057 and found it to be a bit slower so went back to 7022.

I'll wait for the RC.

Good luck

Were you using IE8 on 7048 -- works fine for me -- if you are using X-64 then if you want to run IE8 reasonable quickly without all the flash crap on websites run the 64 bit version of IE.

Adobe flash only works in 32 bit so if you really want all that junk when surfing the web ensure latest version of adobe flash is installed or use Firefox (or another browser).

Build 7048 64 bit IMO is the fastest version yet -- beats the later 5057 version, and WEI doesn't need messing around with to get it to work.

Also expires on 01 MAR 2010 like build 7057.

BTW Virtual PC is a LOAD of CRAP

Install VMWARE vmplayer -- it's also free -- however you have to "pre-build" your virtual machines.

You can do this quite easily with QEMU for windows (also a free program)

This method shows how to create an XP VM but the same trick can be used for Windows 7

(saves buying Vmware workstation -- which is a great product BTW but pricey).

http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2005/10/26/vmware-player-windows-xp.html

Or if you have a bit of time -- more tricky to set up but well worth the effort you can use the VMWARE SERVER (totally free).
This can create and modify Virtual machines at will but setting it all up is not for the faint hearted..

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/faqs.html

Cheers
jimbo

I didn't stick around that long in 7057. I tried IE but didn't notice much difference. I was just bummed out by the speed difference etc.

I'm running 32 bit.

I'll give 7048 a try in a day or so. I've got my necessary programs down to where it only takes an hour or so to install all.

I don't play around with virtuals. I have 4 Hd's I switch out when I try different systems. Much less problems.

Thanks,

Ok just to update I'm running the beta 7000 build 32bit only I'm not going to go to a torrent site to get an untrusted ISO I just can't do it. So I'm sticking with 7000 until RC is released.

I just find it hard to believe that everyone is saying windows 7 is so great in that (7000) beta build when I'm having all these problems. I would much rather run Vista than 7 as these issues have been worked out already.

My other complaint and this is with vista also is how fricken hard they are making it for Admins to do their job securely. RunAs is a joke as I can't get it to work at all no matter what. I tried installing Mark R. Shellrunas utility and still RunAs just does not work. This is horrible as any good admin uses this ALL day long!

ESM not working at all! I mean come on. Really how does MS expect companies to move past XP when they are hurting those that make these standards choices? Hands down most people could use vista or windows 7 but since the admins can't they don't want to recommend a standards change.

Let it be known I'm a true MS fan boy. Bought and installed vistax64 like 2 months after release and have been very happy as a home user but at work FORGET IT. Again is this just me?

Ok just to update I'm running the beta 7000 build 32bit only I'm not going to go to a torrent site to get an untrusted ISO I just can't do it. So I'm sticking with 7000 until RC is released.

I just find it hard to believe that everyone is saying windows 7 is so great in that (7000) beta build when I'm having all these problems. I would much rather run Vista than 7 as these issues have been worked out already.

My other complaint and this is with vista also is how fricken hard they are making it for Admins to do their job securely. RunAs is a joke as I can't get it to work at all no matter what. I tried installing Mark R. Shellrunas utility and still RunAs just does not work. This is horrible as any good admin uses this ALL day long!

ESM not working at all! I mean come on. Really how does MS expect companies to move past XP when they are hurting those that make these standards choices? Hands down most people could use vista or windows 7 but since the admins can't they don't want to recommend a standards change.

Let it be known I'm a true MS fan boy. Bought and installed vistax64 like 2 months after release and have been very happy as a home user but at work FORGET IT. Again is this just me?

Sorry but I have to disagree with you and say that I really don't think your giving Windows 7 the credit it deserves... ;) I've been using 7 since the alpha build 6801 (which was also stable as hell) on several different pc's and have never once ran into any serious problems.. the occasional glitch here and there (to be expected) but nothing that could be called a deal breaker by any means.. This is true even for the alpha builds..

That being said, I can't really comment on any build past 7022 as I haven't used them and won't as I don't see the point, the RC is just around the corner for those of us lucky enough to have some good Microsoft connections.. ;) and it's not that much longer of a wait for the general public either.. in the meantime I am still using build 7000 on 4 of my 5 pc's (the 5th pc is a Windows 2000 PC only).. and will continue to do so until the RC is released... I'm glad to hear you are doing that as well as I still say that is what all the general public should be using, these daily/interim builds are not intended to be used by the general public.. thus the misleading comments on some builds after 7000..

Now as for the issues your having.. First of all did you do a clean install or an upgrade? Do you have a dual boot configuration or is 7 the only OS on your pc? What program did you use to burn the ISO? (Please pardon my ignorance if these questions were already asked), I ask because it sounds like either your ISO is corrupt (thus causing all the errors) or you did an upgrade when you should have done a clean install (format than install from scratch).. Unfortunately I can't really help you with the "RunAs" problem as I've never had a problem with it (in Vista or in 7).. I strongly believe upgrading over clean install is crap.. Clean install is the only way I install new OS's and I always have very few problems as a result..

I should also point out that 2 of my 5 pc's are used strictly for work purposes and 1 of those 2 is currently using Windows 7 as it's one and only OS.. And so far I've not ran into ANY major issues.. (NOTE: I do NOT recommend anyone use a BETA OS as their primary OS EVER.. I am only doing it because I have been BETA testing since the Windows 98 days and know the risks involved)

To end this response I'll simply say I understand your frustration but I really think it's something that can be fixed with a little time and patience.. And just keep in mind Windows 7 is still in BETA stages and one can't go into it not expecting any errors at all.. :) Hopefully the RC works out a bit better for you..

First of all did you do a clean install or an upgrade? CLEAN
Do you have a dual boot configuration or is 7 the only OS on your pc? NO 7 ONLY
What program did you use to burn the ISO? (Please pardon my ignorance if these questions were already asked), I ask because it sounds like either your ISO is corrupt (thus causing all the errors) or you did an upgrade when you should have done a clean install (format than install from scratch)..

I'm not even going to float this discussion on how it could be my burning program currupting my iso. It is possible but rare and MS should provide a check for if it was a problem. What I can tell you it isn't my burning program and find it unlikely that everything works except for these not responding hicups I get about 3 to 10 times a day.

Basically what you are trying to say is that it is either just me or it is my hardware and a driver issue which for every one I have not loaded any drivers but the 7 specific drivers on the iso and any coming from Windows Update. I have not loaded any drivers from dell or anywhere else.

Also I'm a firefox user to the end but have refrained from installing it on 7 and I do love IE8 and have not had any problems except for some of the same not responding issues. There is just no way I can get away from a few extensions firefox offers like Session Manager and no script. But as far as IE8 as a browser it is looking to be a great browser for the business.

What program did you use to burn the ISO? (Please pardon my ignorance if these questions were already asked), I ask because it sounds like either your ISO is corrupt (thus causing all the errors).

It can also be the media that you burn the .iso to. I initially, like you, thought it was being corrupted by my dvd burner (Sony). It turned out to be the Kypermedia dvd I was burning it on.

also usually with windows if you have corruption you will get an error message.

I don't get error messages. I get Not responding and then eventually everything comes back as normal except for the end of the day virtual pc during shutdown. Still no error message.

Bottom line I'm not going to enter a discussion of defending my burning software. If someone thinks I truely have corruption then tell me how to verify it. Not lets talk about what kind of software you are using or drive or media.

Well if you didn't install any 3rd party drivers at all then I'd start there.. Just because Windows 7 finds all the drivers for your hardware doesn't mean they are the "right" or "best" drivers to be using.. ;) Also, just because there are Windows 7 specific drivers out there (like ATI and nVidia gpu drivers for example) that doesn't mean those are the best ones to use either.. alot of people have found that the latest Windows Vista drivers actually work better than Windows 7 specific drivers in some cases.. ;) This will more than likely change once the RC hits though.. Anyways, my point is if all your using for drivers is what comes through Windows Updates than that's most likely why your having the problems your having.. I'd suggest trying some 3rd party drivers and see if that makes a difference... :)

"Bottom line I'm not going to enter a discussion of defending my burning software. If someone thinks I truely have corruption then tell me how to verify it. Not lets talk about what kind of software you are using or drive or media."

You can argue that a corrupt ISO is rare all you want but in fact there have been well over 2 dozen people (on this forum alone) that ended up having a corrupt ISO.. I wasn't saying for sure that that was your problem, it was just a suggestion.. ;)

Like I said before, you have to keep in mind 7 is still in BETA stages.. meaning there will be some weird behaviour.. Most of which can be fixed or solved... but some just can't, no matter what you do.. in those cases all you can really do is either revert to a previous OS or wait until the RC hits and deal with it in the meantime.. I suspect all the little annoyances will be fixed in the RC though...

Yeah I'm not trying to say it is not beta at all I understand that. Just surprised by my experiences when I have heard such rave reviews.

Yes I know a lot of fixes exist in RC so I can't wait.

wanted to update everyone on this saga.

Found a semi work around days before RC is going to be released.

If I lock the screen windows key + L when I log back in it is no longer Not Responding. This has worked 100% of the time on my explorer type lockups.

Back