Windows 7 Win7 Pro UEFI - cannot boot from USB

kujaw

Hello, I've got a problem installing Win7 Professional x64 on my GPT partition and using UEFI to boot on HP Probook 650 G1.
I've got a DVD from HP with Win7 OEM version.

1. Made an ISO image from Win7 DVD I was sent from HP.
2. Using Rufus & my ISO image I created UEFI bootable USB.
3. UEFI Native enabled, Fastboot & Secureboot disabled.
4. When I enter to boot menu I've got only possibilities:
  • OS Boot Manager
  • External USB Hard Drive
  • Notebook Ethernet IPV4
  • Notebook Ethernet IPV6
  • Boot From EFI File
5. After choosing 'External USB Hard Drive' I've got only dark screen and then:
6. I get an error: 'An error occurred with the boot selection, verify media is present and retry'.

Any help?

You should be able to do this with Windows 7 using the MBR partition scheme for UEFI, FAT32 in rufus, however you may need to temporarily disable the secure boot in your BIOS if it's enabled during Windows 7 setup.

Look at your USB drive after using this options and make sure it contains a boot folder, if not copy the boot folder from efi\microsoft\boot to the root of the USB drive.

Post back with results!

If your boot is set to UEFI and not UEFI hybrid you will need to select UEFI in Rufus the MBR scheme for UEFI will only work if you have UEFI hybrid boot

But I want to install Windows on GPT formatted drive, does it mean that it's impossible? I want to have dual boot Windows & Arch, all on the same GPT formatted drive.

[edit]
If your boot is set to UEFI and not UEFI hybrid you will need to select UEFI in Rufus the MBR scheme for UEFI will only work if you have UEFI hybrid boot
Where's the comma here, cause I dont understand your reply? I want to have UEFI native boot, not hybrid.

You may need to turn Secure Boot on for it to work.
I tried turning on/off Secure Boot and Fast Boot. Nothing works .. I'm out of ideas how to make it. Wanted to have Win7 & Arch as dual boot but looks like only pendrive with Arch is booting correctly on GPT.

Back