Windows 7 Win7 won't apply updates

RJCrist

I've lurked on Google and these forums for a while trying to figure out why Windows won't apply my updates. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I attempt to install my updates but after refreshing the Windows Update program it says they installed successfully but is still offering the the same updates. I've ran Microsoft FixYa from their website to no avail. The updates giving me problems are:

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2676562)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2709715)
Update for Winodws 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2679255)

Please help!

Some folks might suggest hiding the offending updates, if you are sure they are already installed, but I feel that might lead to problems later. Maybe hide them for a few days only for testing. When you tried manually installing the updates, you did so while in Safe Mode?

Have you tried uninstalling the updates and letting Windows reinstall them? Open Windows Update and use the "Installed Updates" option on the bottom left. If the updates are listed there, you should be able to uninstall them.

The last thing is to rename or delete the SoftwareDistribution folder in the Windows Directory. If you do this, it will rebuild the data base, but will take some time to catch up.

But basically, the system has gotten out of sync as far as these updates and needs to be reset somehow. If the updates were to show failed on the Update history, you may be able to right click and get a reason.

Some folks might suggest hiding the offending updates, if you are sure they are already installed, but I feel that might lead to problems later. Maybe hide them for a few days only for testing. When you tried manually installing the updates, you did so while in Safe Mode?

Have you tried uninstalling the updates and letting Windows reinstall them? Open Windows Update and use the "Installed Updates" option on the bottom left. If the updates are listed there, you should be able to uninstall them.

The last thing is to rename or delete the SoftwareDistribution folder in the Windows Directory. If you do this, it will rebuild the data base, but will take some time to catch up.

But basically, the system has gotten out of sync as far as these updates and needs to be reset somehow. If the updates were to show failed on the Update history, you may be able to right click and get a reason.

I looked over my update history and it doesn't have any record of any of my updates failing. It says they're all successful. If I were to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder in my Windows Directory, it would be the whole folder? Not any of the subfolders correct? I assume Windows would just re-update everything after I did this?

The entire folder is what is normally done. If I knew exactly what needed to be refreshed, I could be more specific, but I do not.

If deleting it makes you nervous, just rename it for now. I have done it on my system with no ill effects, after a catch up period.

Back