Windows 7 Win7 won't install on scsi controller

vlex

Hi 2 all,

I'm trying lately to install a win7 on my workstation. It's a Fujitsu-Siemens R610 dual processor xeon workstation with 4GB ram and 1GB video. But let's get to the case: I go through the installer and come to the part where it copies and expands the files for the pre-environment. It "copies" for about 20 seconds (jumps from 0 to 100%) and afterwards during the expanding phase it gets some kind of I/O error (I don't have the error code right now, but if it's critical I'll check it as soon as possible) and that was it. I have onboard ATA and SCSI controllers, so I'm using currently 2 scsi, 1 ata and 1 sata HDDs, but due to the fact the sata is on pci sata controller, that doesn't get recognized by the bios, I can't boot from it, therefore can't install OS on it. It doesn't matter if I use an external driver for the scsi controller or not it always get the same error message. It's an adaptec aic-7902 (based on adaptec 29320r) and even without any drivers the installer recognizes all HDDs. The issue is exactly the same by the ATA drive. If I try the DVD on some other computer lying around it works just fine... Possibly the CPUs are a little bit too old, but they support MMX, SSE and SSE2, so they should be fine... Same issue by vista or win 2008. Any ideas why this thing is occurring?

Best regards,
vlex

You should be able to boot from the pci controller card. I have done it for years and year on every motherboard I have owned (except the current one that does not have any pci slot)

Unplug the power to all your drives...except the sata on the pci card and see if the system will find it. Set your boot priority to hard drive.

If that doesn't work, I'm almost sure you have an irq conflict. Do you have another pci slot you can use with the sata controller card? I *think* I remember something about the graphics slot sharing the same irq as the first pci slot.
If you can resolve that problem you can then probably set your bios to boot from your onboard scsi

Hi tblount,

unplugging all drives but the sata one doesn't help. And unfortunately I can't install the controller in another pci slot - I've got 2 3.3v PCIs and 3 5v PCI-Xes, so the controller just doesn't fit in the pci-x slots. The other normal pci slot is blocked by the cooler of the VGA card (HD4670) and theoretically can't be used at all... On the CD with the drivers for the pci controller there is also a BIOS flash, but I'd say my stinking current bios is causing that much trouble, because it doesn't even has certain settings for adjusting clock speeds or multipliers (it's actually pretty lame bios). Anyways, I'll see the IRQs and try to set the controller on the 1st. Let's hope that will fix the issue :confused:

Best regards,
vlex

Back