Windows 10 Windows 10 boots only from old SSD

AlexP11223

I got a new PC with m2 nvme SSD and I also took my old SSD from the old PC.

Now after installing WIndows on the new SSD it does not boot when I select the new SSD in boot menu, only when I select the old SSD (which is labeled as Windows Boot Manager in UEFI) and select one of the two Windows volumes in Windows menu.

How do I fix it to make it boot just from the new SSD and without Windows selection menu except reinstall?

As far as I can see you have 4 disks.
Is that correct?
If YES, then disconnect all the other disks except the new SSD, restart computer and see what happens.
But I don't see any EFI partition on your new disk. In this case you should change to legacy BIOS in the BIOS settings.

It will probably not work because when I select the new SSD in boot menu I get error saying to insert a bootable device (not sure why it does not just boot from the next bootable device as specified by boot order ¯\(ツ)/¯, Asrock Z390).

I tried EasyBCD but I get error

An attempt was made to change the boot partition to a logical drive, which is not allowed. The boot partition must be a primary partition.
Please either select a different drive or convert the selected partition to primary first, then try again.

even though it is a primary partition. Also tried adding 500MB partition on this drive, the same result.

It will probably not work because when I select the new SSD in boot menu I get error saying to insert a bootable device (not sure why it does not just boot from the next bootable device as specified by boot order ¯\(ツ)/¯, Asrock Z390).

Alex, if there is no EFI partition on your new disk then it will not boot unless you change from UEFI to legacy BIOS.
Anyway, if I were you I would disconnect all the other disks and reinstall Windows (reformat) the new SSD. Especially if you don't have much data on it to back up.

You'd need to create a EFI system partition and then copy boot files to it to work. Microsoft recommends it be the first partition but it isn't required.

• Open an elevated command prompt
  • Type diskpart
  • Type list disk you should be able to ID which SSD disk is by it's size
  • select disk # where # is the number from the last step
  • create part efi size=500
  • Type list part again ID the partition by the size
  • select part #
  • Type format fs=fat32 quick
  • Type assign letter=z (replace z with any available drive letter)
  • Type exit
Now assuming you picked the letter z and your active operating system is on C type
bcdboot C:\Windows /s z: /f EFI

Now reboot and select the new drive

format fs=fat32 quick did not work but I earlier created another partition using

create part primary size=500
assign letter=W
format fs=fat32 quick

and
bcdboot C:\Windows /s W: /f ALL

so looks like it finally works now when I disable all other drives in UEFI (SATA ports in Storage configuration) and boot just from new SSD!

Also I used Minitool to remove letters from these drives, possibly can be done via diskpart like
select volume W:
remove letter=W

If you want to still use the old SSD and don't plan on booting to it just delete the EFI partition and your UEFI firmware won't detect it as bootable.

Back