If everything is running fine then yes. I'm happy with the update. Though I clean installed

Didn't want to create a new thread, so posting here:
Since I got the Creators Update yesterday, I seem to lose the ability to summon a visible scroll indicator in Edge when I press the mouse-wheel, sometimes.
I personally feel that scrolling with the mouse, keeping the wheel pressed very useful, and it feels weird now that I am missing the origin indicator at times.
FYI, I am referring to this (drawn in Paint):
Untitled.png

Something like this is supposed to appear when you press the wheel, and then you can drag your mouse to move around the page (try in Word, or any other browser).
My problem refers to its correct functioning on the new version of Microsoft Edge, just that the thing never actually makes an appearance; but its still there. So, I am unable to judge the position of my mouse from the origin, and I seem to scroll past pages really fast.
Help me out, or do I have to wait for a new update?
Thanks!

Attempting to update to 'Creator' via the Update Assistant. Stalled at 82% (common problem according to the forums).
Hard shutdown downgrades me to pre creator version (14393).
Disabled firewall, antivirus, anti malware and tried again - same result.
Ran Scannow, no problem.
Ran first 2 DISM commands - no problem.
Ran DISM Restore Health- failed.
I have the 14093 ISO, so mounted it and reran RestoreHealth with the ISO install.ESD as the source......failed.
So I converted the ESD to a WIM and inserted it into the ISO, remounted the ISO and reran RestoreHealth.... failed (each time the response is 'the source file could not be found' )
Attached are the 3 commands I tried:

And here is the log from the warning
DISM commands.png

Any other ideas to get around this problem?
cheers
emmsee

Attachments

• truncated dism.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 650
Hi,
the DISM restore health command is broken for sure in the Creator's build and I'm sure i read this issue extends to recent builds too.

You can use the tool found here: Download Windows 10 to create a 15063 iso file which can then be burnt to either disk or usb. This method is highly reccommended as the upgrading method really is a pile of pants.

A clean install really is the best way to go.

Hi all,
I've been out of the test lab here for about a week, and so I'm just getting to the first install of the Tuesday Creators Update on any on my Machines. After a quick backup, I attempted to download the CU making sure my WU *Windows Update* and WUDO were both enabled and pulling down updates. In any case, the WU engine was able to update my v1607 b14393.x to b14393.1006 no problem but after trying several times and reboots it would not install the CU. :waah:

Part of the reason for the post is to let you know that thanks to Ragnarok1968 and others their recommendation to use the W10 CU UPGRADE ASSISTANT tool worked marvelously! First time, and it performed the CU upgrade on my main desktop machine here (See my profile for specs; Dell Studio540) with no discernable problems so far! :applaud:

I'll also mention that I tried to get the CU upgrade on my Sony laptop as well, with the same result! No go! :down: It looks like then that my other nine W10 machines will all need to used the Upgrade Assistant Tool in order to get them upgraded. I will probably not upgrade them all at this time, in order to leave some on older builds for Customer support purposes.

This post may help some of you that are attempting to change settings on one or more of your W10 computers and HOPE this upgrade will come in and install automatically-probably not going to happen. This is exactly the same problem we had last year with the W10 AU (Anniversary Update) on Aug. 1, 2016. If you were running older versions of W10 such as v1511, or v10240, the only reliable way many of us found to upgrade to the W10 AU version (v1607) was via a Clean Install. I'm supposing that the W10 CU UPGRADE ASSISTANT tool was provided by Microsoft to prevent this particular problem. Good idea Microsoft! :lightbulb:

Hope this information proves useful.:up:
Cheers!
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

This is exactly the same problem we had last year with the W10 AU (Anniversary Update) on Aug. 1, 2016. If you were running older versions of W10 such as v1511, or v10240, the only reliable way many of us found to upgrade to the W10 AU version (v1607) was via a Clean Install. I'm supposing that the W10 CU UPGRADE ASSISTANT tool was provided by Microsoft to prevent this particular problem. Good idea Microsoft!
I'm not sure it's exactly a problem per se'. Microsoft is simply rolling out the update 'progressively' meaning some will get it before others.

The only way around this of course is to use the Upgrade assistant for Windows 10

There are a lot of neat things in this Update but there are a few things to watch out for.
I have 2 desktops that would not shut down until I went in and unchecked "Fast Startup"
in Power Options. Everyone I have known to do this sees about 1/2 their desktop icons
pushed towards the center and it is very difficult to get them back to the left side.

The only problem I had with the upgrade was my night light was greyed out. I went and did a clean install and so far no problems have occurred. So far I haven't had a problem shutting down or icon problems. I guess time will tell.

Only seen the DISM bug myself but I'm sure there's lot's others especially for those that took the upgrade path instead of a clean install.

PROBLEM 1:
Since the Creator's Update completed 4 days ago, every time I log into my PC, I have this notification in the Action Centre:

Realtek High Definition Audio

Normally, clicking this should take me to the settings where I c an click the "Restart Now" button, and the message wouldn't pop-up again after finishing the restart, but clicking it has no effect. It just disappears. Next time I come back, it comes back again as well. Its really irritating, please tell me what to do. All my drivers are really up to date, as I have even checked the driver dates in the Device Manager.

PROBLEM 2:
Cortana works perfectly, no problem,...except one:
Sometimes, she becomes full screen. I've never encountered this earlier. Please check the attached image for more information on my problem.
I mean, I have no problem with the full screen Cortana giving me results, but just by the aesthetics of it. Once I've given my voice command, she just clumsily snaps to the usual "Search box" in place of the start menu like normal.
Please tell me how I can avoid these full screen interruptions permanently.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    170.2 KB · Views: 461
I have recently updated to Windows 10 Creator Update and since then my PC will not shut down. It just hangs with the "shutting down" message. So far I have tried the following: 1 Hibernate option is disabled. 2 I thought it might be something to do with the fast startup setting being ticked, but that option is not available in the power menu. Is there anything else I can try?

Normally, clicking this should take me to the settings where I c an click the "Restart Now" button, and the message wouldn't pop-up again after finishing the restart, but clicking it has no effect. It just disappears. Next time I come back, it comes back again as well. Its really irritating, please tell me what to do. All my drivers are really up to date, as I have even checked the driver dates in the Device Manager.
Hi Rudy,
if you know where you download your Realtek driver from then I'd remove it and install a fresh copy. The windows update version should dissipate into the ether that is windows update.

I thought it might be something to do with the fast startup setting being ticked, but that option is not available in the power menu. Is there anything else I can try?
To be able to use Fast start up you need either Hibernate or Sleep enabled in the power options.

The only problem I had with the upgrade was my night light was greyed out. I went and did a clean install and so far no problems have occurred. So far I haven't had a problem shutting down or icon problems. I guess time will tell.
the icon issue occurred right away the shutdown took a few days before that happened.
The icon issue occurred right away on restart on some but it took moving a few icons on other units before it happened. The shutdown failure occurred several days later, not right after the CU.

couple things i wanted to point out:
upcoming webinar, supposedly sponsored by microsoft, deals with the creators-update from IT's perspective:
also … the following link is microsoft's summary of what is included in the official release:

my own thoughts … will likely wait a two or three weeks, even after microsoft offers the update to me personally … in hopes that most of the bugs have been eradicated … hoping to avoid a 'clean' install.

and … as ragnarok1968 pointed out (03-28) … the way to know one has the creators-update … it is "version 1703" … thanks.

hoping to avoid a 'clean' install.
Your hoping to avoid a clean install?

Why? I know your an intelligent chap so there has to be a good reason?

The upgrade process is, to want for a better word... Shite. IMO of course..

I avoid it at all costs and have trouble free install..

Further to my recent post regarding the shutdown issue, I have now managed to get the fast startup option on screen and have disabled it, but this has not fixed the issue. I have tried shutting down after booting into safe mode but it still hangs. I am just wondering whether to try booting up from a bootable W10 disk and selecting repair, but I am a little worried about losing any files. Alternatively, can I roll back my Windows 10 version? Any advice would be appreciated.

Further to my recent post regarding the shutdown issue, I have now managed to get the fast startup option on screen and have disabled it, but this has not fixed the issue. I have tried shutting down after booting into safe mode but it still hangs. I am just wondering whether to try booting up from a bootable W10 disk and selecting repair, but I am a little worried about losing any files. Alternatively, can I roll back my Windows 10 version? Any advice would be appreciated.
Is there anything in the event logs about possible culprits?

If you see the issue repeated over and over look for any drivers mentioned

Also have you considered trying 'System restore'?

I might try a system restore and see what happens. Regarding the event logs, I am not sure exactly where in the logs I should be looking as the issue might not necessarily show up as an error. Incidentally, the computer also hangs when restarting.

Back