Windows 10 Windows 10 Freezing seeming randomly! Help!

Cheeseninja25

So a few months ago i decided to do the free update to windows 10, it was good. Now I got a free windows 10 home disk, so i decided to reinstall just for the heck of it. I installed windows 10, then fixed my settings and installed steam and my gtx 960 drivers, about 20 minutes it froze. And when I say froze the whole system locked up and i couldn't do anything, there was no disk activity, and there was nothing happening on screen. Now when i boot up and login and start doing stuff it will freeze basically randomly. For the past week i have bean self troubleshooting, I installed my dell inspiron 580 chip set drivers, I changed power options as some fixes suggested, I tried the "make an admin account and sign in and my account would good again" method that Microsoft suggested, and i even used memtest86 to check for bad ram. Its still freezing, it was working fine before now after this reinstall it keeps freezing. Sometimes once it freezes and I do the hard reset that i have to do to reboot, it will freeze in the boot process.

Specs

Make/Modle: Dell Inspiron 580 (with graphics card changed)
Processor: Intel i3
Memory: 6 GB
Hard drive(s): 1-600 gb HHD and 1-400 gb HHD
Graphics Card: Nivida GTX 960
(If you need any other info i will see if i can find it on my computer)

PS: and if your wondering how i am writing this a am on my laptop

Hi cheeseninja25,

first thing i did was to check on your driver support and discovered Windows 10 isn't supported:
no 10.JPG

If you still have a copy of Windows 7 then you could try installing that and see if the freezing continues?
http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/product-support/product/inspiron-580/drivers

In any case try running these scans which will hopefully cure any corruption you may have:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Freezing can also be caused by overheating so make sure your pc is regularly cleaned removing any dust build up. ( A small modellers paintbrush and vacuum cleaner works wonders)

If you don't already try running an application like Ccleaner although do not use the registry cleaner as they often cause more issues than fix plus Windows simply doesn't need it.

Your computer appears to be about 3 years old, and that's when Hard Drives begin to fail in desktop PCs. You should test your hard drive as here: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure. This is the most likely cause of failure since you've applied most of the software solutions. Make sure to try the one's kemical suggested above too!

Oh, and it's verboten to attempt any kind of OS upgrade with TWO (2) hard drives plugged into your Motherboard. Remove whichever HDD is not the bootdrive or primary drive (C: drive). Repeat the update, if your problem abates, it's very likely your secondary HDD failed, so you will need to test that drive using my testing link above! If W10 works with the update on the primary bootdrive HDD, then your secondary HDD has failed and should not be added back into your PC; rather replace it! :waah: Repeat your tests. If it all works good with no freezes with the new secondary HDD, you've fixed it! :up: :fdance:

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I found an old Windows 7 Ultmate disk with my product key, so I installed it and it's working well. Sorry if you have come here in search for a solution.

I found an old Windows 7 Ultmate disk with my product key, so I installed it and it's working well. Sorry if you have come here in search for a solution.
Hey Cheesninja,
glad to hear your up and running again although this time without the issues.. If you do get any problems then just pop back.

Also this 'is' a solution of sorts, many users like yourself no doubt got a little message saying install Windows 10? That's fine if there is driver support. If there isn't then usually the easiest thing to do is to go back to the perfectly working os you had before... :)

Back