Windows 10 Windows 10 hasn't updated since 2016

PaulM

I just discovered that Windows 10 on my HP has not updated since April 2016. It is set to automatically update, and when I tried to update it manually I get the following error message: "We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you have a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection and try again." However, I AM connected to the internet and have no issues with internet connectivity. Any suggested solutions appreciated. Thanks.

Not that I am aware of. My desktop is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable, but does have WiFi capability. My laptop, which connects via WiFi, has no issues with updating. I spoke with the IT dept. at work today and they recommended trying to update windows without using the ethernet cable? Your thoughts?

Couldn't tell you for sure why you haven't. You can simply download the current version and run the setup.exe after creating a bootable usb or disc and select upgrade Download Windows 10

Try connecting directly on Ethernet and not using WiFi. Check in Windows Policies about making sure updates are allowed. You should search Google for instructions because this is a bit involved. Check also if the services for updates is active.

I have also seen the update part of Windows become corrupted. You would have to search out the MS site about the instructions of how to fix this and then re-install the Windows update libraries and program. MS does have instructions about this.

You can also try the Windows repair, but often it will not fix this. I have also see malicious software disable the update part of windows. At the same time these malicious software often disable the virus scanner from seeing it.

Hi

When you go to the Window updates page and click search for updates doesn't it list them and ask if you want to update now?

That's what happens on my computer.

If you aren't seeing any updates listed are you signed into your Microsoft account?

It seems like if you have a connection and it's not sending you updates it may not be seeing your computer for some reason.

I don't see any advantage in going to the wifi connection all you will get is a slower connection speed.

If everything else works off your cable so should updates.

Mike

Try connecting directly on Ethernet and not using WiFi. Check in Windows Policies about making sure updates are allowed. You should search Google for instructions because this is a bit involved. Check also if the services for updates is active.

I have also seen the update part of Windows become corrupted. You would have to search out the MS site about the instructions of how to fix this and then re-install the Windows update libraries and program. MS does have instructions about this.

You can also try the Windows repair, but often it will not fix this. I have also see malicious software disable the update part of windows. At the same time these malicious software often disable the virus scanner from seeing it.

Yes, I am agree with it. You can try to connect it only with the Ethernet or WIFI.

And if the check for updates cannot work, maybe there are some files or system corrupted.

1. You can try to use the SFC command and DISM command to check it at first.

2. Follow the Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update to solve it automatically.

3. If the automatically update cannot work, you can manually download the latest Windows 10 update files and install it step by step. If you do not know how to do it, here is a tutorial with pictures: Manually Download Windows 10 Updates - Easily and Fast - Windows 10 Skills

Wish this can help.

Back