Windows 10 Windows 10 HDD/SSD Problems

Daniboo

Hi

I just installed Windows 10 from Windows 7, but I had to choose my HDD to install the OS.
When I clicked the SSD, it said something about it not being compatible.

I really wanna use my SSD (Samsung 840), so I decided to factory reset the OS, but it automatically installed on the HDD again.

What can I do?!

Thanks

Hi ! What media are you using to install W10?? I don't understand "I decided to factory reset the OS"
Where was W7 installed?? If W7 was on the HDD, you will have to create a image or clone with a 3rd party program and install on the SSD Samsung! Can you be a little more specific what all you have done. Did you use the media creation tool?

Hi ! What media are you using to install W10?? I don't understand "I decided to factory reset the OS"
Where was W7 installed?? If W7 was on the HDD, you will have to create a image or clone with a 3rd party program and install on the SSD Samsung! Can you be a little more specific what all you have done. Did you use the media creation tool?
I´m using an USB, I followed the instructions for setting up Windows 10 on an USB.
Windows 7 was installed on my SSD, but when I selected the SSD during the W10 installation process, it wasn't compatible.. NO IDEA WHY. I just quickly skipped it and chose HDD, which I now regret.

Now, my computer is already running W10, but from the HDD - I´d like to have it running from the SSD.

Hi Daniboo! Thanks for your reply! I'm not a expert on SSD's. Not sure why W10 said it wasn't compatible.
If W10 is installed on your HDD and is running well, the only way I know is to use a 3rd party program to create a image and install that on your SSD or clone the HHD. Maybe other members will have more suggestions later.
You might give this a look!
Clean install of 10 on new SSD - Windows 10 Forums

Hi,
Neemobeer is right on the money here. Since we don't know your hardware environment, Desktop PC, Laptop, or self-built PC, and what kind of BIOS it has (UEFI or non-UEFI), there are many variables to be considering in the BIOS settings that can affect a W7-->W10 upgrade. Generally speaking it's NEVER considered a good idea to attempt a Windows upgrade with any secondary hard drives plugged into the computer; either SATA, USB, eSATA, etc. Those should always be disconnected so that the Windows install tool (MCT: Media Creation Tool) does not become confused by having multiple hard drives to choose from to install the new OS (W10) on.

Unplugging any and all secondary drives from your computer prior to attempting the W7-->W10 upgrade will provide the MCT tool with only one place to install the W10 files: the C: bootdrive. In your case, the SSD drive. Then once W10 has been upgraded and is properly working on your computer, then begin added your secondary drives and other peripheral devices, one at a time, until you get them all working.

I've done this upgrade on my Sony laptop to both a mechanical hard drive as the bootdrive, and then again on separate occasion to my Kingston SSD drive. Both times, it worked perfectly!:up: Plugging in any external devices, such as secondary drives, usb printers, usb cameras, usb touchpads, etc. BEFORE the upgrade just shows that you have never done an Windows OS upgrade before, as this is a well known caveat amongst professional computer Techs.

Perhaps checking with your local computer repair shop or an independent professional computer Tech prior to your next Windows upgrade would result in a cleaner upgrade without issues such as you experienced.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back