Windows 10 Windows 10 keeps blocking trusted program

axescot

I am trying to run a program which I trust (motherboard software from a reputable dealer) but Windows 10 Pro build 1809 keeps blocking the program (see picture). How can I get this to run?

I tried Disable SmartScreen and Enable App Side-loading. I'm on an administrator account and I've always disabled User Account Control. I have an administrator account and also by right click > run as administrator.

If you browse to the files location in Explorer and right click on the file and choose Properties is there an unblock checkmark towards the bottom of the General tab? If so select it and hit OK, then try running the app again.

There is no unblock check box. However, the most recent version was made available 2 days ago and I don't have this problem anymore.

A couple of things I would point out. The first being that about a month ago Asus suffered from a supply chain hack

How to Check Your Computer for Hacked Asus Software Update

What this means is that malicious actors were able to compromise Asus' Update process and deliver malware via the official Asus update. The second would be the fact that the Aura executable is not signed by AsusTEK would strongly indicate that that version of Aura was compromised, so it's actually a good thing that Windows would not let it execute. If you go locate the Aura.exe, right click and select properties. There should be a digital signature tab with an AsusTEK cert.

I had forgotten all about the Asus software compromises. Very valuable information, thanks @Neemobeer :)

Back