Windows 10 Windows 10 Preview to Windows 10 Stable

Shubham Gupta

Hi,

If I install Windows 10 preview, will it allow me to update to Windows 10 stable release, once windows 10 is released ? This was not the case with Windows 7 and 8.

Thanks,
Shubham

If the pattern holds...then my guess would be a no. At this point...everything is up for grabs as to what will and will not be.

Earlier while releasing Windows 8 Beta program, they made it clear. Can't find any such information this time :( Have installed it on VM as of now !

I know a few people who are also running it in a VM and liking it a lot. And a couple are running it as the main OS on a clean HDD.

Anything, any way or method other than overwriting one's existing Windows 8.1! VMs, dual-boot or on a spare box but, do not recommend wiping out one's current OS, @ this time or until the final release!

Using a VM is a really nice, easy, approach & since there may be a few builds over the next few months it's a great way to go from one to the next; especially, if one does not have a spare drive or box. Plus w/ Hyper-V embedded one does not even need to go looking for any 3rd Party software to run VMs.

And do not expect to go directly from a Preview to GA any more than in the past. That said, there is a good chance, ultimately, 10 will be pushed out as a Windows Update or made available via the Store as an Upgrade in the same fashion as Windows 8.1... @ least that's how I read things @ this point.

Cheers,
Drew

If anyone is interested, I, too, now, have Windows 10 TP x64 running as a VM in Hyper-V.

Have the x86, as well, for comparison but, of course, prefer using x64

Cheers,
Drew

Three days testing now.
I see no reason, in its present state, to eventually change from my trouble free Windows 8.1, to using Windows X. There may be, as is often said, something more "under the hood", but for my useage, I have not yet found anything that I cannot already do with Windows 8.
I have two different set ups. I chose to use an ISO install, rather than the update. I am wary of updates!
I have a clean install on one computer, running as the only OS. Dual boot on another, as a secondary OS I have not experienced any problems, other than that with the modern screen, as I have mentioned in another thread.

Sure there is "under the hood" stuff. As for the more obvious stuff...
1. Due to the start panel I haven't enabled the Desktop Toolbar that I use in 8.1
2. Due to the start panel I haven't created the Applications folder/window that I use in 8.1
1 & 2 I do in 8.1 so I can access everything w/out changing screens.
However, I am, really, not sure that I maybe prefer the way I have things in 8.1. It is clean & simplistic. The start panel I find big, cumbersome & too 'involved' or complex, too much 'looking' for things. True it can be 'sized' but, not as I, personally, would like; can't make it narrower... taller or flat & wider but, not narrower when left on the vertical. Nor do I need all those tiles on it (or any) when those wanted can, already & still, be pinned to the taskbar... I don't bother w/ Start screen or its tiles in 8.1 so, don't, really, care about having them in my face in Win 10.

The one thing I have always wanted was to not have APPs opening Full Screen & covering Desktop... til I made things share the real estate. Ergo, the one thing I, really, do like is that APPs can, now, be movable, sizable, 'windows' on the Desktop. What I do not like is they, STILL, open Full Screen initially by default, until I do something. That stinks and should be the reverse by default... let me have to do something to make them Full Screen, if I want (that).

I am running mine as a VM. Where it is a possibility Win 10 may be ultimately, eventually, pushed out as a Windows Update OR an Upgrade from the Store, as was 8.1, nothing prior to a GA, a final release can be considered an update. Nobody should be replacing their 8.1 w/ these previews. They are the equivalent of Betas. On a spare box, dual-boot or VMs but, sure not treated as replacements. After going through Beta Testing Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 for & with Microsoft, you do not put pre GA Builds on production machines. PREview as in PREfinal. Hell MS even tells people, you do this your original recover partition is gone, there's no turning back... and that's fine if a GA but, damn risky & foolish w/ betas.

Any, I may or may not, Keep using the start panel; heck, I had quit using anything like that in Vista or 7 long before I had even heard of 8. But, if they change it, as I (except I'm only 1 person) requested so APPs don't open, initially, Full Screen, I could be ok w/ Windows 10... especially, if the price is right. But, that said, I sure do like 8.1 especially, the way I have it designed ;) ( read, set up or configured).

The thing is people tend to focus on the cosmetics, the blatantly visible, the mechanics. Sometimes we lose sight of or miss the huge engineering & technical strides in Win 10 or from the 7/8 era to 10. I won't go into it here... there are lots better places & articles explaining the concepts well. Suffice to say they are exciting, drastic and very impactful. 8 was, as we thought, only a wee hint or beginning of what computing is becoming. Oft when we look @ the picture on our (individual) monitor, we are seeing the big picture. Things are being designed & built for Enterprise, for a whole globe full of End Users and for an evolving, changing digital landscape, society, culture and future. Usage, wants, demands and we people take or will come to take for granted and consider to be the norm is going to have a very different complexion very soon.

I always remember, as I watch things morphing, at a Microsoft conference a very few years ago as the presenter stood on stage w/ a wee cell phone in his hand and said soon it will ALL be right here in your hand. And a few hundred people laughed & scoffed thinking he was being very Orwellian. Yet, already, now, we have Cloud and BYOD and a growing Mobile work force, security concerns, hackers, identity theft, encryption and Bit-locker, young kids with Smart-phones and elementary schools requiring pupils to have laptops.

It is not, any longer, a matter of whether we want or need a new OS or not or looking to justify migrating or holding back. It is, now, more a matter of accepting the reality of OUR world... we asked for, we created it and the pace is rapid... quicker than many realise and not all can or want to stay in step. After observing the massive, speedy differences over 60 years, I'll end with this... 1984 was published in 1949. By the time 1984 had arrived, @ least, 90% of what Orwell fantasied in the novel, actually, existed and was in daily, widespread, use.

Cheers,
Drew

Three days testing now.
I see no reason, in its present state, to eventually change from my trouble free Windows 8.1, to using Windows X. There may be, as is often said, something more "under the hood", but for my useage, I have not yet found anything that I cannot already do with Windows 8.
I have two different set ups. I chose to use an ISO install, rather than the update. I am wary of updates!
I have a clean install on one computer, running as the only OS. Dual boot on another, as a secondary OS I have not experienced any problems, other than that with the modern screen, as I have mentioned in another thread.

Like you I chose the iso route ( I dislike the upgrade route too) and as I have my info/apps/emails backed up several times I've been running it as my main os.
Surely that's the only way to truly test a new product?

So far so good although I wouldn't recommend this route to a relative novice

"Sometimes we lose sight of or miss the huge engineering & technical strides in Win 10 or from the 7/8 era to 10. I won't go into it here... there are lots better places & articles explaining the concepts well. Suffice to say they are exciting, drastic and very impactful."

Please do go into it?

My primary interest is in the computer, as it sits on the desktop, or your lap. I follow the development and comments, like most, on the blogs and news items. I see "Under the Hood" lol, many comments from MS and Pundits, regarding the increased security. This does not particularly interest me either. I take care of my own, so far, touch wood, without the help of the OS. Ditto the virtual desktops. Can't really se how one could use these, if you now have windowed application capability.
"Under the Hood," I read of a now unified Store. So far, this is not apparent, and I cannot see any mind shattering changes from Windows 8.1, in the store.
Only other reference I can find is to the new locked down update policy. This is cosmetic, as we could, previously, elect to automatically install or select manually and install.
Other than that, imho, any "Under the Hood" engineering changes have no apparent visual effect on performance.

I am a supporter, and I am sure many more things may become apparent, but so far that isn't happening.

Ok, maybe I've just been doing this stuff using ISOs for so long so allow me if this seems naïve but, I must have missed something... other than using the ISOs, what update route??? Update route? What are you talking about? Betas are not for updating anything. They are for testing in spare drives, spare boxes or VMs but, update. I thought MS was warning people not to because it could not be reversed (w/out starting over from scratch). It wasn't, actually, saying replace your 8.1 w/ this preview, was it , really? Sure non- virtual but, non-production, too; ie on a spare drive or box.. Extremely tech-savvy folks maybe but, (shaking my head)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some good, informative articles floating about; part of what I had in mind, that may not relate to YOU (whomever you, in general, may be) was the concept of 1 OS sort of 'adapting', as it were, to all devices or environments. Not something for this & something else for that. And on any given device what you would expect is what it would do or be. The articles articulate it better than I.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It not a black n white issue. And I was mostly agreeing... I could do w/out the start panel & continue the same way I operate in 8.1 and much as I like the APPs on the Desktop... I do not want them opening, initially, Full Screen... why be full screen just to have to click to get rid of that. Maybe there's a setting I'm not seeing. I didn't think they were still going to open Full Screen. And, frankly, the start panel is just in the way. Suppose I could defeat it & stick w/ using the Desktop Toolbar.

Cheers,
Drew

I think David was referring to the old upgrade route (I certainly was) that was around at the time of the 8.1 upgrade debacle. Although it's been a nice surprise to have had easy access to Win 10 iso's for everyone (normally it's only those lucky enough to have a msdn account which has access to iso's) I wonder if this practice will stay once the full os has been released. Meaning if someone has Windows 8 or 8.1 will they get access to an iso too or will the upgrade process be similar to the previous os where access to upgrade was via the Store.

I am not absolutely sure, yet, Ross. It has been discussed either pushed out as a Windows Update or via the Store. We, still, don't have anything definitive or concrete regarding cost. If it is like 8.1, then, there will be no cost to those running 8.1
Personally, I have a feeling it will end up being offer as a direct Upgrade to 8.1 Owners & maybe 7, as well. The company is realising a lot of 7 owners will be skipping 8 & migrating directly to 10

There will be no path for anyone, still, clinging to XP as late as next year. And it will be well into 2015 before Windows 10 is released.

You the problem in the past, @ least, was people by whatever means or media using betas (Previews) to wipe out the existing OSs. But, once the GAs were available there was no path from Beta to GA... you had to have a proper OS as a foundation. BUT, if they are now saying, if you put this Preview as your daily driver you cannot revert (cus your previous recovery partition is gone)... then that suggests one will be able to go from the Preview (Beta) to Final. the flaw in having no ISO is if things go awry there is nothing w/ which to rebuild... a lord knows many people do not back-up or burn recovery discs or create a Sys Image.

I can tell you the GA will not be on schedule which, would be October 2015. It will be early in the year to entice & appease those who bash Win8 or are, still, on older OSs because they think 8 should be avoided.

Sorry, it's & I'm rambling (maybe) but, yes, will likely be ISOs. But, my gut feeling is will be a straight through, no charge scenario, @ least, for folks running Win8.1 even, if, via ISOs.

Yeah, and used to be the public got their betas from one location & we got ours via Microsoft Connect. And ours had feedback & not theirs or ours was a different feedback that went to the Build Team. Hell we used to have wkly webcast w/ the Build Team and they would send us away w/ Tasks, like homework for the next meeting. I say all this in contrast to people trying to say MS doesn't care or listen. Things have changed a lot recently to the point that such a suggestion is utter & complete rubbish.

Cheers,
Drew

Some clarification has now come through about the new, fast-moving updating mechanism that Microsoft is building into Windows 10.

Microsoft is now communicating that there will be two different modes for updates, based entirely on customer choice:

• Opt-in – This mode means that Windows 10 will be updated on a fast-moving pace (i.e., when Microsoft rolls 'em out). This is defined as a consumer-type updating mode. These include security updates and fixes, but also new features and OS updates.
  • Lock-down – Locked-down mode is for mission critical environments (i.e., businesses) where updates are managed centrally. This will work similar to the way things happen now and will not include feature updates, only security updates and fixes.
When the rumored feature was first reported, many business were a bit frightened by the idea. A faster-paced updating system would mean a loss of control, and situation where updates could potentially damage existing systems and software.

Some businesses may opt in, but the choice is clearly theirs to make. However, it's important to understand that Windows 10 represents Microsoft's LAST major version of Windows. From here on out (after Windows 10 releases) there will be one Windows (no versioning), and it will be updated regularly. Businesses that choose to opt-out will need to be very mindful not to get too far behind.

Ref:
http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/windows-10s-fast-paced-updating-feature-will-be-opt

I just thought I'd post the article you linked to David.
Regarding the 'opt-in' update feature this has been rumoured for a while now that Windows ultimately would be a series of updates only. It would no longer be updated every 3 years or so. The era of large rollouts will be gone and in fact this, Windows 10 is supposed to be the last one. I find it a bit sad really. I kinda like that every 3 yrs we get something totally new or at least newish.. ;). I know the updates are supposed to replace all that but still.. There is nothing like trying something for the first time.. I mean look at the buzz this release has created.

Too true. But, on the other side of the coin, what more can they do to an OS, apart from adding junk, that will really improve it. A lot now will only depend on notable hardware improvement.

I guess.... Isn't that there job though?.... To come up with ways to thrill and amaze us or am thinking of something else lol.. :D

I went the upgrade route because I believe that really unveils the small and sometimes larger issues.... As routinely and honestly that is the way most everyone is actually going to experience Windows 10 (short of buying a new computer with it pre-installed) they're going to upgrade.
Regardless of how many time we tell them not to and suggest a custom clean install, the majority of folks are going to upgrade and I think we need to keep that in mind.
They are not likely to experience all the zippy, super fast, quickness of a pristine clean install.
The are going to see a new "Start Menu", "All Apps" feature, with 75 children's games / apps (that they've installed to entertain the grand kiddies) interspersed with actual other apps that they might use on a regular basis.
But at least they're in alphabetical order which is sort of nice but a lot to sort through to get to the goodies be nice to group them there as I did on the old "Start Screen" and separate them out that way, or even better create a new folder there and put all the games in something, maybe cleverly called games. or grandkid's apps.

And for anyone flinching at my upgrade route.... not to worry.
My SSD takes about 7.5 minutes to image and about that same amount of time to recover from that image.

I realized today I am disappointed in the new "Virtual Desktop" option in X. I was thinking a virtual desktop might be good if you could start another instance of the OS for security reasons. But it seems the option should really be named "Virtual Monitors", since that seems to be all it does. Sort of like having two monitors, but you can only turn on one at a time.

I do like the start button functionality being back, but it should have never left.

The lack of a border around a window can be problematic if you use desktop colors close to the color of the window.

Opening apps in their own window is good, but again, since third party folks have been doing that for a while, no longer a big deal.

Would Windows X make me want to leave Windows 7, no. But the start button being back does make it easier if required.

I wonder if the final release will allow upgrading 8.1 with the Windows Media Center installed....?

I guess.... Isn't that there job though?.... To come up with ways to thrill and amaze us or am thinking of something else lol.. :D
LOL. They never cease to amaze me, Kemical. (But that emotion has nothing to do with the OS!!!!!)

Back