Windows 10 Windows 10 Questions

UseCmdOften

Okay, since this is very popular on forum websites. I decided to ask a few questions hoping for some answers

1. Is it true that Microsoft can't count? Why not release Windows 9
2. How is this going to be better then previous versions? I thought Windows 8 was horrible enough
3. There bringing back the start button? I have the same start button on my windows 8 PC.

1. Amongst many conjecture floating in the web, here is one to "explain" why Win 10 but not 9.
http://www.cnet.com/news/is-this-why-microsoft-named-it-windows-10/
However, what does it matter ? MS is the one producing the product. MS has every right to name it whatever MS wants.
Let's concentrate on the quality of the product and not splitting hair.

2. Install it in a virtual machine and decide for yourself. Each to own preference.
Google for its reviews.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/windows/3574736/windows-10-hands-on-review/

3. MS brings back the Start Menu, not the trivial looks of the button.

Last edited:
Hi

Windows 10 is a lot different then Windows 8 and the Start Button is more then just returning the icon to the lower left corner.
The new start button give one click access to a lot of features that were hard to get to in 8

Right click on the start button and you can get directly to Device Manger, Disk Manager the Control Panel, the Elevated Command Prompt and more.

It has a built in search anyplace box that will find pretty much any thing on your computer in a second.

It has a more or less traditional start menu, and you never have to see the Metro screen, ever.

Apps now run in Windows like everything else and you can have them appear on the start menu in there own panel or not.

All in all it's a vast improvement over 8 for people working on PCs.

I'm running it installed on my second hard drive and haven't gone back to use 8 since I installed it.

Mike

Okay, since this is very popular on forum websites. I decided to ask a few questions hoping for some answers

Who cares, really, what it is called? Remember Windows 95, etc? No one begged the question then. You can manipulate the releases over the years and come up with 10.

Unlike Mike, I do not find a lot of difference, but, seemingly, we are all having different experiences. For example

"Right click on the start button and you can get directly to Device Manger, Disk Manager the Control Panel, the Elevated Command Prompt and more"
I have this, by default, in Windows 8.1

"The new start button give one click access to a lot of features that were hard to get to in 8"

This is an old chestnut. I got used to the so-called "Metro" menu and customised it. I use it as my start menu with my daily programs on it. It is one click away, and the remaining, little used programs, ar a further click away. With the text menu, as in seven and earlier,some of these functions can be four clicks, and many three clicks, away.

I have not had any problems with the search facility in Windows 8.1. Just type and it finds it. But, i do find it a resource hog and have disabled it for a third party, and very superior,search program.

I have worked hard on customising Windows 8.1 No hacks, just elimination of unneeded materials. In my case, there is no contest at present - Windows 8.1 has the performance edge.

But I do not dislike it. It is a very early build release, mainly, I suspect, to test reaction to the start and the absence of the intrusive "Charms" bar and Metro.

For the present, I am having a daily look-see, but am waiting for the next major update, as I feel there is little more, now the storm is over, to comment on.

I am NOT throwing down the gauntlet here. These are purely my own observations, experiences, and opinions.

2. How is this going to be better then previous versions? I thought Windows 8 was horrible enough
3. They're bringing back the start button? I have the same start button on my windows 8 PC.

Ok, I may as well take a turn @ answering these, regardless of how much difference there may or may not be from the others, already, given.

#1. Fussing over the name is silly & non-productive. There were a few theories, none of which matter a hill of beans. When it was being built, internally the code name was Threshold... maybe it was going to be "Threshold' or Windows TH; everything in future was gong to be just plain "Windows" (god how confusing that would be!); 9 was too close to old series of Windows OSs ie 95, 98 (that was then, this is now); it was going to be Windows 1... Xbox & then, Xbox 1... but, the reality turned out to be Windows 10. Microsoft wanted to get away from an actual sequence and convey a big gap, stride away from & departure from the 7/8 era.Thus, Windows 10... end of story.

#2. Too, bad the perfectly valid question can't be asked w/out using it as an opportunity to bash the previous OS but, anyway.

From the kernel up it is not so much better but, more to the point different @ the foundation. One code, one platform, will be a bit of a chameleon giving the End User the optimum & expected, experience, across all devices & regardless of what device. All functionality, all applications AND it will optimize itself to Touch or non-Touch and the mode can be chosen, "Continuum Mode". It is lighter, faster, especially booting due to a redesigned boot system, has a smaller footprint, has a bunch of technologies that specifically indulged & catered to Enterprise in terms of data protection & sys management. It is particularly appealing for how vastly its UI has changed or add AND because of a 'less is more' approach. No Charms Bar, no Hot Corners, no need to change screens, nothing that pops out & or disappears into edges. Everything can open as floating, sizable windows. With 10 & beyond there is one store for all devices... everything will be pulled or sourced from one portal. Snap has been greatly enhanced w/ terrific flexibility & choices. Multi-tasking has gone to a way higher level w/ the introduction of Multiple Desktops.

3. They're bringing back the start button? I have the same start button on my windows 8 PC. (forgive me for correcting your spelling)

#3. Yes they are & no you don't; not the same, @ all. Win 10 has introduced a start menu, NOT just a start button. The so-called start button in 8.1 only gives the 8.1 start screen or toggles between the Desktop & either the start screen or the All Applications screen. Win 10 offers a start menu that has a context menu AND can, also, have sizable Live Tiles (or not).It has ALL Applications in it & Search to both the device and the web. All @ ones fingertips w/out any need to change screens. The content of the start menu is super customizable in terms of both content & how that content is displayed. And the size & shape of the start menu can be changed to suit ones liking.

Does not sound like you have used Windows 10 or read much about it. It, also, sounds like you are quite skeptical & cynical and that's probably not the best attitude to have. People are, really, going to like this OS. And you might even be one who does, also.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Hi

I'm comparing it to Windows 8 too, not Windows 8.1.

I understand that many of the features that I find new are incorporated into version 8.1.
I had problems with my sound in 8.1 so I reloaded 8 and never really got to try out 8.1.

Mike

Hi

I'm comparing it to Windows 8 too, not Windows 8.1.

I understand that many of the features that I find new are incorporated into version 8.1.
I had problems with my sound in 8.1 so I reloaded 8 and never really got to try out 8.1.

Mike

Sorry, Mike there can be no valid comparison to 8.0 8.0 was replaced by 8.1 And you can still "try" 8.1 and must. You cannot continue to get updates & upgrades w/out 8.1 AND you cannot go from 8.0 to Windows 10. There will be no migration path for that.

Cheers,
Drew

Hi

I was saying that my comparison wasn't valid. LOL

That doesn't change the fact that I can't use Windows 8.1 because it messes up my sound.
When Windows 10 goes live they will have to have an install path for new computers.

They can't require everyone to install an old operating system on a new computer in order to install the operating system they are selling now.

When I goes live I will do a clean install or the new OS not upgrade from my old one.
Just like I did with Windows 7 and 8.

I don't want to pick up all the crap from my old install I want a clean new operating system.

I don't care if I have to pay for it.

Mike

Mike,

No worries, clean is always a very good approach. And, certainly, that makes not having 8.1 a moot point, in this context.

Cheers,
Drew

A quick question about multiple desktops.

This is a new feature in Win 10. I thought it's an interesting idea to have multiple virtual desktops. I just tried it and maybe I did not do it correctly. My question is my intuitive thought is each desktop should be isolate to each other, so if something crashes in one desktop would not impact other desktops. I have 2 desktops and each has IE open. One log in with one of my Microsoft outlook accounts. I then go to another desktop and log into another Microsoft account. By surprise, I found out the log-in at the first desktop is altered. What did I do wrong? Or the multiple desktops at Win 10 have different meaning? If anyone knows, please share.

Ok, this is weird... In different Desktops needing/using different log-ins, it was 'flipping' each other. And, now, just recently, they are staying fixed. Nothing was done or changed. Keeping an eye on this behavior. Stay tuned (for updates).

Kewl, albeit, baffling.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

An Update.

The sign-in/Sing-out confusion, not only impacting IE, it also impacts Chrome. I open chrome in both desktops. Open gmail on the Chrome in the first desktop, and then open another gamil on the Chrome in 2nd desktop, the gmail on the first desktop also got switched to the 2nd gmail account.

So among desktops, sign-in/sign-out has global impact, not just local.

I'll, confirm what John states. Since, they are all on (in effect sharing) the same computer, if 2 MS Acc'ts, it will change across all. Be nice if would hold to different log-ins, sometimes.

It goes w/ the machine not, individual desktops on said machine. As in, same behavior whether on Host or VM (for example) All the desktop are using common (to the End User) browsers..

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Last edited:
So maybe we should just stop calling them virtual / multiple desktops and start calling them virtual / multiple monitors, as the behavior described above, seems to be the same as one would experience when attempting to do the same thing on a single desktop with a single or multiple monitor.

Hi

I think that Trouble has it right, here.
This works like multiple monitors running on one computer, not like multiple independent desktops.

Although if you did have multiple monitors the arrangement would be fixed and would still be there after a reboot.
I don't have multiple monitors, but I'm pretty sure that is the way it works.

If it did work like multiple desktops, that let you set up permanent layouts, it would seem to be more useful.

Mike

So maybe we should just stop calling them virtual / multiple desktops and start calling them virtual / multiple monitors, as the behavior described above, seems to be the same as one would experience when attempting to do the same thing on a single desktop with a single or multiple monitor.
That's well enough expressed :up:

Or, even better as I see it. Let us just go about our own ways. Those who like, carry on, those who don't like, stop bleeting, and then close the thread.

Back