Windows 10 Windows 10 Reinstalled Itself or Update?

CaliGrade

Hi All,

I've had Windows 10 home edition for quite some time now, basically since it was released. All the sudden this morning it asked me to restart for an update (didn't think anything of it) but then it was at the install screen doing the three steps "Copying Files, Downloading Drivers, Configuring Settings", took about 10-15 minutes, is this normal?

Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586

Hi @CaliGrade I don't think it's normal, but the same thing happened to me and another member here on the forum.
The only thing I had to do was reinstall a couple of Apps( CCleaner and Speccy) every thing else was OK and I have had;) no problems.
Are you experiencing any problems. Probably to early to tell, but I'm betting you will be fine! Thanks for your helpful post!:worship:
PS Welcome to the forum!

That's so weird and thank you. You don't have any idea why this happened and the possibility it could happen again?

Hi No! I don't have any idea why it happened, but I really doubt if it will happen again. I blaming it on a MS glitch. I always have to give my little speech, Read my signature and please make back up images of your operating system regularly:D:up:

I think it's normal for large version patches like 1511 and now 10586....

Edit: just got confirmation 10586 was the novermber patch and this is normal, I had defer updates on so thats why it came late

Thanks for the update! Good to know these things. I think mine was different, but I'm not really sure what all happened.
It was crazy, as I had the option up to roll back to W7 again. I have had W10 for a long time, so that was really strange. I have sense deleted all that, as I'm not planning on rolling back to W7. If I wanted to; I have images that will work for that.;)
Come back often and share your knowledge with us!

Hi @Sandbox I really don't pay that much attention to those things and know very little about the numbers. I guess I should pay closer attention, but I'm really not interested. Thanks for the information!;):up: I 'm sure I have 1511 and it works great!

Hi Here's how to find out!
How to Find Out Which Build and Version of Windows 10 You Have
Capture48.JPG

is it sorry lol your welcome anyway when i need to get more info for a pc i use dxdiag in the runbox
i use the runbox a lot

is it sorry lol your welcome anyway when i need to get more info for a pc i use dxdiag in the runbox
No need to be sorry ! I just pointed out winver is in the link I provided! dxdiag is also a good command@;):up:
Lots of good information in the link I attached by HTG!

yep but those are dos commands i was talking run commands but thank you
dinner time take care Holdum333

I think it's normal for large version patches like 1511 and now 10586....

Edit: just got confirmation 10586 was the novermber patch and this is normal, I had defer updates on so thats why it came late
>>>Hi Cali: Glad you got this figured out. :encouragement: I will make a comment however, that using that "DEFER UPDATES" setting you had, can be risky! It's a two-edged sword however. Lots of folks don't want to download brand new major updates such as the 10586 v.100 and up, as they can scramble your system or even lock it up.:zoned: This does happen to about 3 customers of mine each month as a result of the MS Tuesday "push" updates that hit your computer weekly. These folks are NOT using the "DEFER UPDATES" setting you have. The downside of using this setting is that you are now much more susceptible to "Day-Zero Attacks" from brand new viruses and ransomware viruses that do not yet have commercial antidotes available from the major AV manufacturers. :headache: This can be catastrophic to your Windows, and bear in mind that's why most Fortune500 companies have a large staff of folks to sort this out, and do not typically use this setting. For Home users, especially those who only use their computers occasionally, say 1-3 times per month, this may be Ok. If you are using your computer more than this however; and most people tend to use their computers daily, you may wish to consider changing this setting as it represents a significant security risk.o_O If you are adamant about changing this setting from either personal preference or have had a bad experience with this setting in the past we suggest you take holdum's very good suggestion of creating backup images to external media such as an external hard drive or cloud media. This will mitigate the current security risk you now have with that setting set the way it is. We recommend Macrium Reflect Image Backup software, it's free and the best on the market we've tested.
Here's a link to get the free software:
Macrium Reflect Free
<<<

Best of luck to you, :encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back