Windows 10 Windows 10 running like a champ!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Well I'm on day 2 of running Windows 10 in a dual boot setup with Windows 8.

I have to say I'm impressed, it works great, a really big improvement over Windows 8.

I have a lot of my software installed, Photoshop is next, but I have all the normal stuff like CCleaner, Defraggler, Open Office, Revo, my Media Player codecs, Thunderbird and Chrome, and everything is working great.

Installation was easy, I turned off Fast Boot and Secure Boot and installed from a DVD no problems other then the authentication code thing, they never sent me a code so I skipped that and if finished with no problems.

I've seen that other people are having issues with getting the code as well.
It hasn't caused any problems for me so far.

It's left a link on the PC Issues flag, and I try it every once in a while but they never send me a code.

I did have to use EasyBCD to get the boot menu, and I had to do it in Windows 10.
Doing it in 8 had no effect.

But this morning when I turned on my computer I got a different boot menu that looked like it was created by Windows 10, and the computer booted really fast.

I have The Elder Scrolls Online, Guild Wars 2, and Tomb Raider Underworld all running from their Windows 8 installs.

They ran it Stereo 3D smooth and fast.

So far, I think I may not have to go back to Windows 8 unless I need to run something that I'm not planing on installing in 10.

I'm going to continue installing my software today, I created a folder named Windows 10 software on another partition and made a Program Files folder in that, that I'm going to install my software in, since I only made a 100 gigabyte partition for W10.

Finally I think they got it right.

Mike

Hi

No sound issues, the voice files all play just like they did in 7 and 8.
So far everything is working perfectly.

I installed the codec pack and Media Player will play all my Mpg Videos, I haven't found anything that won't work so far.

Even most of my games have run without being reinstalled.

The other thing, Internet Explorer witch didn't work right in Windows 8 on either of my PCs seem to work now in Windows 10.

Mike

Did you install any special drivers for your audio card or just take whatever was the default Windows 10 driver that came through the install?

Hi Trouble.

I'm just using the default Windows 10 sound drivers.
I'm not going to mess with it, I had problems with the Creative drivers in Windows 8 too.

Mike

OK, good to know.
Now just as long as Windows Updates doesn't do anything to mess that up.

Yeah

I just installed Photoshop.

I've had a couple of software installs say they couldn't connect to the registration server, I don't know if that's on their end or mine, my connection seems to be fine, it hasn't been a problem so far.

Ps. I just checked and it's Adobe that's down.

My principle concern is that we seem to have a pretty good, working, Tech Preview.
And that sometime between now and RTM it will be deprecated to something less than optimal.
We sort of saw that a bit during the Windows 8 Previews to the RTM.
Hopefully they won't muck about with it too much.

Hi

As is stands right now I have no need to log back into Windows 8 unless I need to use some software that I'm not going to bother installing in Windows 10.

My text to speech software that wouldn't run in Windows 8.1 works perfectly on W10.

The only problem I've had is the fact that no matter how many times I've tried I can't get them to send me a code for the computer confirmation.

I've tried from several different locations inside W10 but I never receive anything back.

It doesn't seem to make any difference though.

Someone else said they couldn't get it to work even after calling Microsoft on the phone.
I'll wait a few days and see if they get it straightened out.

They must be pretty busy right now.

It really seems to do what everyone wanted, it's very much like Windows 7.
It feels like Windows 7 to me.

I agree with you, I just hope they don't mess it up before release.

Mike

Back