Windows 10 Windows 10 stuck at 32% upgrade

Hello,
I need help with installing Windows 10 on my HP Probook 470 G2 laptop.
I've tried to install it by Windows Update, didn't work, error 80200402. I've deleted downloads folder inside Software Distribution and restarted it, still didn't work so I used a new account with "net user Administrator /active:yes" and there it downloaded and started installing (yeeeey!). However, when the installation got to the upgrade screen (that black screen with circle and percentage and 3 stages of installation) everything went fine until it got to 32% of installation (6% on 2nd stage). I've left it over night, ~ 8 hours, it was still at 32%. I've rebooted the laptop (force shutdown) and it restored the win 8.1, everything working fine. I've tried it 3 more times, by ISO on USB stick, by windows update (again) and by MediaCreation x64 toolkit. Every time it got to 32% it would just stay there.
Any thoughts? Please answer as soon as possible. Going to vacation tomorrow and would want it installed before that.

Hello,
I need help with installing Windows 10 on my HP Probook 470 G2 laptop.
I've tried to install it by Windows Update, didn't work, error 80200402. I've deleted downloads folder inside Software Distribution and restarted it, still didn't work so I used a new account with "net user Administrator /active:yes" and there it downloaded and started installing (yeeeey!). However, when the installation got to the upgrade screen (that black screen with circle and percentage and 3 stages of installation) everything went fine until it got to 32% of installation (6% on 2nd stage). I've left it over night, ~ 8 hours, it was still at 32%. I've rebooted the laptop (force shutdown) and it restored the win 8.1, everything working fine. I've tried it 3 more times, by ISO on USB stick, by windows update (again) and by MediaCreation x64 toolkit. Every time it got to 32% it would just stay there.
Any thoughts? Please answer as soon as possible. Going to vacation tomorrow and would want it installed before that.
Hi,
Microsoft has released a support page which will speed up the process. It means you'll have to download the upgrade again but once started the upgrade process will finish within a few hours. Use the media creation tool found on this page and click 'upgrade now':
Windows 10

Hi,
Microsoft has released a support page which will speed up the process. It means you'll have to download the upgrade again but once started the upgrade process will finish within a few hours. Use the media creation tool found on this page and click 'upgrade now':
Windows 10
I've tried it this morning 4 hours ago, 2 hours ago it got to 32% upgrade, and it's still on 32% even though it got to 32% in 30 minutes.
I'm guessing he can't do something with a driver or something that is installed, can't see any other way.

Are you running any security apps? If so remove them or disable them.

Are you running any security apps? If so remove them or disable them.
360 Total Security, only that. Don't know why this would be a problem since I've got it on my desktop also (not my laptop, my desktop upgraded to Win 10) and there it installed successfully (even though I had to install win 10 on my desktop using the admin account).
Why would 360 cause problems on my laptop and not my desktop?

I'm unsure but just know it's best not to have anything running security wise.. How full are the hard drives?

I'm unsure but just know it's best not to have anything running security wise.. How full are the hard drives?
My hard drive is 1TB and it's got 2 partitions both have more then 150 GB free space. I'm reinstalling all the important drivers, then going to shut down 360 security and try the upgrade again.
P.S. Thanks for going through the trouble to help me, appreciate it!

Last edited:
I have the exact same issue!
Upgrade stops at 32%, it has been like 4 hours now. Laptop is Lenovo IdeaPad G50-45, with a lot of free space (I have it only few weeks). I was doing some research, and it seems to be issue for mostly laptop users. My PC also got upgraded with no problem.
Because it's laptop from a family member, I don't have it with me right now, so I can't try to fix it right now :/
I've read on some other forums that it could be caused by some old drivers, but I'm sure every driver is up to date.

No luck, again stuck at 32%. Is there some log that I could use to troubleshoot the problem? I think that something is bugging him, some program or driver or something but I've installed all the official drivers for my laptop from the official site and from the official tool to update my laptop. I've got no clue what to do next.

I did a little googling on this seemingly odd issue and apparently some Windows insiders were having the same issue with previous insider builds. The fix was once the upgrade had downloaded turn off or disable the network adapter
Upgrading Windows 10 stuck on 32% (Installing features and drivers 6%)

I've no idea if this will work for you guy's but it might be worth a try?
Cheers mate, will give it a try, Insider is not very different then the complete package, the structure is the same so it should work. Let's go.

I'm trying it just now, but it appears to be stuck at 32% again. I'll let it for an hour and try it somehow again if it will not move

Ok John... It might even be worth ringing Microsoft support and see what they say on the subject?

They sent me this. How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation
This will be probably my last attempt to install it.
NOTHING worked.
Updating drivers, disabling Norton, disabling network adapter. Nothing.
EDIT:
It seems like other Lenovo users are having the same issue as me, because this issue already has 2 threads on Lenovo forums, and one of them is the same model as my laptop.
Also, I haven't seen any threads about upgrade being stuck on laptops made by other companies than HP or Lenovo. I've spent ALL DAY trying to fix this, and I always come across to these 2 companies.

Last edited:
It seems like other Lenovo users are having the same issue as me, because this issue already has 2 threads on Lenovo forums, and one of them is the same model as my laptop.
Also, I haven't seen any threads about upgrade being stuck on laptops made by other companies than HP or Lenovo. I've spent ALL DAY trying to fix this, and I always come across to these 2 companies.
Much thanks for the information John. Let's hope they sort this out soon.

I would have to agree about the Driver situation. The Features and Drivers start at 30%. Not sure what might be effecting your situation.

There may be some logs. If you search for setuperr.log or setupact.log you might find something. There are probably multiple instances and the one you want might be in a hidden folder but normally in a Panther directory. I once saw one in the root directory of the C drive.

But otherwise, disconnect or turn off everything you can before you start the update.

Edit: The install does also download during that time, so you might even try disconnecting the network.

Back