Windows 10 windows 10 TP impressions

brkkab

Excellent Member
How's Windows 10 TP? I'm probably going too be installing it over the weekend. Before then, I've got 3 months worth of updates to do first. Haven't had internet access for over 3 months now Doing this on my smartphone. I also need to dig out my old 1 tb had and a power cable for it. 10's going on it.

No problems or hidden "catches" brkkab. Install works pretty much as always. the program runs well. No remarkable differences from Windows 8.1, but it is still wip

Haven't had internet access for over 3 months
That sucks.

As for Windows 10 TP, you're really going to like it. Right out of the box it's works and plays well. And the Hybrid start button is a nice combo of the 8/8.1 start screen and the old start button.

Got my internet back. My desktop pc and Xbox 360 are updated. Now, I'm going to signup and at least download 10 TP.

Yeah, I'm skeptical on it, too. Their are a few thing they need to change. If they don't change them, I see no reason to upgrade. They need to do away with the Xbox Music & Videos app's and add both's feature's to "updated versions" of Windows Media Player & Windows Media Center. They also need to re-add dvd playback to W.M.P. They also need to have both programs in all versions of Windows 10 for free.

After the VERY FEW minutes it took to install this OS...

I can only say good about Windows 10. Took a moment to accept having or using a start menu, again... I had quit using 1 long before Windows 8 came on the scene. But, now, no need for the Desktop Toolbar nor any need to create an Applications folder on the Taskbar. I removed all the Tiles from the start menu which, made it only as wide as a Win 7 start menu. I, also, have almost nothing on the start menu listings since, I pinned the few things I wanted on the Taskbar. The start menu is handy for Search, of course, and to access ALL Applications. I, REALLY, like have Store APPS as floating, sizable, windows! They do open, initially Full Screen but, once sized & minimised or closed, they reopen to the size they last were :). And one can have more on the screen simultaneously than the 2 or 3 possible in 8.1 Even though, I am running 10 as only a 2Gig VM it seems to be rock-solid, stable, no signs of being the least bit buggy and it is very fast especially the boot... barley finish inserting P/W before the thing is fully up & running! Practically instant on but, I had expected that; has a redesigned boot. It's very smooth & snappy. I have it fully loaded to almost identical to my Win 8.1. Everything I've tried or given it (so far) has installed & or worked flawlessly & w/out any hesitation. There was 1 Update for it & a Definition for WD. I have used it from the onset exclusively on Desktop, as I do 8.1
Nice bonus (as opposed to the 'old days') was/is by virtue of using a Microsoft Account everything similar to my 8.1 was my 10, immediately, w/out having to lift a finger.
The graphics on it are just super!!
It is extremely easy to grasp & use. There is no Charms Bar & the big square time/day/date although, that can, still, be produced by hitting Win+C.
Besides hovering across items on the Taskbar to view & select, the Task View button offers that in quite a nice way and certainly easier than Alt+Tab.
I sure do not see much need to tweak or add much. Should, definitely, eliminate any desire to add 3rd Party start stuff.

It sure doesn't act like a 1st Build Beta. Thus far, have seen no evidence of anything the least bit 'buggy'.

A colleague of mine has it on a SSD as a physical machine and says the performance is stunning.

I will say to anyone, don't hesitate to try it... good chance the experience will be pleasant & enjoyable.

I feel (most) people are, really, really, going to like this OS. Including Enterprise as, a lot has been devoted to that arena in particular though, that aspect doesn't impact Consumers, naturally.

BTW, it, Windows 10, is a chameleon. It, based on a single code, one platform, will run on all varied devices whilst appearing to have been built specifically for (each) of them, yet, simultaneously giving a consistent 'look & feel' across all varied devices.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Last edited:
Windows 10 is OK. Small footprint and good performance. We'll have to see the full RTM package before a final judgement can be made. Right now my excitement is muted. I don't see yet why a Windows 7 user would want to move to 10.

Wish I could find you a comparison chart. There are a number of reasons. Given some time, please and maybe, I will try to find a nice way to articulate a few of them.

For the moment will just say, I liked 7 & it was/is good but, would not go back to it from 10 & 10 is in a whole different sphere and magnitude above 7, @ least, in terms of performance, usability & its place in the landscape of current & future computing.

I will, also, for many be a more attractive, more appealing transition than 7 to 8. And you are right about the small footprint; as well as a wealth of other meritorious technologies. Even as a mere 2Gig VM it is fluid, fast, secure, smooth, capable, clear & non-upsetting.

So far, as I expected, it is well received & garnering praise. It will probably be well liked.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Drew, You may be right. One can never argue about better performance. More function is different. There you have to ask yourself whether you need it. A lot of the leading edge high tech functions are not necessarily something everybody needs.

Wish I could find you a comparison chart. There are a number of reasons. Given some time, please and maybe, I will try to find a nice way to articulate a few of them.

For the moment will just say, I liked 7 & it was/is good but, would not go back to it from 10 & 10 is in a whole different sphere and magnitude above 7, @ least, in terms of performance, usability & its place in the landscape of current & future computing.

I will, also, for many be a more attractive, more appealing transition than 7 to 8. And you are right about the small footprint; as well as a wealth of other meritorious technologies. Even as a mere 2Gig VM it is fluid, fast, secure, smooth, capable, clear & non-upsetting.

So far, as I expected, it is well received & garnering praise. It will probably be well liked.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 28278

I think, the major factor why Win 10 is well received by many is because of Win 8. We had of a preview of things to come with Win 8. It was hated a lot because of the overwhelming UI changes. But somehow we got used to it and we had some sort of expectations with Win 10 that we already knew about because of Win 8. And combining hate (Win 8) and heaven (Win 7) comes a totally new pleasant computing experience with Win 10.

"A lot of the leading edge high tech functions are not necessarily something everybody needs.", 'whs'

It's not so much a matter of need or high-level functions. Sure, there may be some capabilities that some will use & appreciate & some could care less. But, having availability & the potential is not a bad thing. I am more referring to general performance & basic, daily usability & functionality that End Users in general can & will appreciate... whether they know about or care about the underlying technologies responsible.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Back