Windows 10 Windows 10 unzipper

lovinpsp

I was told by a friend that she thinks that Windows 10 has a built in unzipper. If this is right, could someone tell me where and how to do this?

Thank you,
lovinpsp

Hi

I do believe that it has a built in unzipper, but I prefer using 7 Zip instead.

I know for sure that there is a 7 Zip App, in the Windows store but I found it much harder to use then the normal desktop version that puts the option on the right click drop down menu.

The one in the store is called, "7 Zip Opener" but like most Windows Apps it makes things harder to do instead of easier.

I use a lot of downloaded material for games and 3D software that have multiple elements that need to be expanded into specific multiple locations in the program installation.

I find it easier to do with the normal 7 Zip interface.

If you want to try the built in one just click on a .zip file in File Explorer and select open and see what happens.

Mike

Hi Lovinpsp,
not as far as I'm aware.( I could well be wrong tho') You can of course right click a document or picture and compress it but that feature has been around a while. As I mentioned in a previous thread and same as Mike above i use 7Zip.

I believe File explorer will, alone unzip a compressed file??
Try it. Right click a .zip on your computer and select "Open with"

P.S. Came back to edit. See here:

Unzip in Windows 10

Back again. I thought I remembered it way back in Windows 8.1. Just tried it on my wife's computer (8.1) she is not allowed to have a third party unzipper - lol. It worked. You can also do the reverse - zip. A little more digging and found this

Unzip in Windows 10

Last edited:
Hi

I do believe that it has a built in unzipper, but I prefer using 7 Zip instead.

I know for sure that there is a 7 Zip App, in the Windows store but I found it much harder to use then the normal desktop version that puts the option on the right click drop down menu.

The one in the store is called, "7 Zip Opener" but like most Windows Apps it makes things harder to do instead of easier.

I use a lot of downloaded material for games and 3D software that have multiple elements that need to be expanded into specific multiple locations in the program installation.

I find it easier to do with the normal 7 Zip interface.

If you want to try the built in one just click on a .zip file in File Explorer and select open and see what happens.

Mike
Thank you Mike. I think I'm going to stick with 7-Zip. The lady who told me about the unzipper in Windows was just curious and thought I should look into it which I did!!:up:

Carol
I believe File explorer will, alone unzip a compressed file??
Try it. Right click a .zip on your computer and select "Open with"

P.S. Came back to edit. See here:

Unzip in Windows 10

Back again. I thought I remembered it way back in Windows 8.1. Just tried it on my wife's computer (8.1) she is not allowed to have a third party unzipper - lol. It worked. You can also do the reverse - zip. A little more digging and found this

Unzip in Windows 10
Thank you Dave. I'll look into that as well.
Carol

Good question, here. From knowledge I have, several years ago Microsoft licensed a custom version of Winzip; the Grandfather of all file compression utilities. Industry insiders have told me Microsoft did a Hostile LBO of the company who invented Winzip, "WINZIP COMPUTING" in Mansfield, Connecticut. Same sort of thing when MS performed an LBO of Intuit in San Diego, the company who makes Quicken & Quickbooks. This was a very standard sort of deal with MS in the 80s into the early 2000s. However, since MS has gotten so large they control the public media in both print and digital, and these sorts of announcements are kept very hush-hush.:yawn: So, Winzip technology was incorporated into earlier version of Windows (around the time of XP-Vista); 2006-2007, and it was built into the Windows Explorer file management utility that comes free with every version of Windows. Win10 has official renamed this program to WINDOWS FILE EXPLORER now. It too contains the same technology.
By, the way, Winzip Computing was incidentally sold to Corel, the same people who bought WordPerfect in about 2006 or so, and the last licensed version I got through them was Winzip v11.1.

Might explain a few things for you; but I agree with Mike and Kemical that 7-zip is so much easier to use for the average home user.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :shades:

Good question, here. From knowledge I have, several years ago Microsoft licensed a custom version of Winzip; the Grandfather of all file compression utilities. Industry insiders have told me Microsoft did a Hostile LBO of the company who invented Winzip, "WINZIP COMPUTING" in Mansfield, Connecticut. Same sort of thing when MS performed an LBO of Intuit in San Diego, the company who makes Quicken & Quickbooks. This was a very standard sort of deal with MS in the 80s into the early 2000s. However, since MS has gotten so large they control the public media in both print and digital, and these sorts of announcements are kept very hush-hush.:yawn: So, Winzip technology was incorporated into earlier version of Windows (around the time of XP-Vista); 2006-2007, and it was built into the Windows Explorer file management utility that comes free with every version of Windows. Win10 has official renamed this program to WINDOWS FILE EXPLORER now. It too contains the same technology.
By, the way, Winzip Computing was incidentally sold to Corel, the same people who bought WordPerfect in about 2006 or so, and the last licensed version I got through them was Winzip v11.1.

Might explain a few things for you; but I agree with Mike and Kemical that 7-zip is so much easier to use for the average home user.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :shades:
Well, I've decided to go with 7_Zip. I had it before and really liked it. My husband bought WinZip for me but said I could uninstall it and he won't pay for the next year.
Thanks for your input.
Carol

Sounds great! Thanks for posting back. You're welcome for the help! We're always here 24x7x365!!

Cheers! :D
<<<BBJ>>>

Back