Windows 10 Windows 10 Update Fails Error 0x800705b4 -Solution-

terrym

Honorable Member
=> THE PROBLEM

I have Windows 10 on all 3 of my home machines; two are on the original release (v1511) and I was forced to update the third to the Anniv. Update (v1607). Windows Update (WUP) was working on all machines until about a week ago. On the two v1511 machines, "Check for updates" would stall and after 30m report Error 0x800705b4. However on the v1611 machine it was working fine. Hmmmm. Sounds like Microsoft might be doing this intentionally to "encourage" users to upgrade to the Anniversary Update.

It took a lot of time and research and fix this. I hope what I learned will help others who have this problem.

=> THE SOLUTION

1. Download Microsoft Hide-Show-Updates Tool if you haven't already

This tool from Microsoft will let you block (hide) updates you don't want ... for example the 'Feature Update' v1607 that has caused many many problems.

2. Download KB_Extractor (here) and extract the EXE to your Desktop

This is a great little utility that extracts the contents of a CAB file. I have never been able to do this using the built-in DISM -- it always says "File not found".

3. Run the Hide-Show-Updates Tool and see what updates are pending

This may take a l-o-n-g time but should eventually complete. Select [Hide updates] and make a list of all other-than-driver updates -- OS, MSO, Flash, etc. -- along with their KB#'s. I had six MSO updates, one OS (KB3205386) update, one Flash update plus MSRT (Malicious Software Removal Tool).

4. Download each update from the Microsoft Catalog Microsoft Update Catalog

Here you can search by KB# and download each installer; make sure you download the correct Windows 10 version for x86 or x64.

I downloaded six MSO (CAB) files and one OS (MSU) file. I skipped Flash and MSRT.

In case you're not familiar with these file types a CAB file is a compressed Cabinet file and a MSU file is a Standalone Microsoft Installer File. More on this later.

5. Install updates from each CAB or MSU file in the order listed by the Hide-Show-Updates Tool

CAB: simply drag the file from File Explorer and drop it on KB_Extractor

a. the utility will extract the contents to a TEMP folder and open that folder
b. the folder should contain a MSP file and a XML file
c. right-click on the MSP file and choose Apply

MSU: right-click on the file and select Open

a. this will bring up the Windows Update Standalone Installer
b. if the update is not already installed, click [Yes] to install

6. When all updates have been installed goto Settings > Updates & security > Check for updates
If the Moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter is aligned with Mars (look it up), this should complete and you will see a list of updates not installed ... in my case Flash and MSRT.
Install these updates and Restart if necessary.

7. Run the Hide-Show Updates Tool and select [Hide updates]

Only Driver updates should be listed!

You have started this discussion
  • rsp-helpful-top-disabled.png

Breaking down the error code. 0x8007 means it's a Microsoft Win32 error and 05b4 is a Operating timeout error

Hope you are doing great Terrym, You need to fix the 0x800705b4 error by removing third-party antivirus or firewall. This can be done by tapping on Windows+S, write uninstall and press the option Add or remove programs from the results. You can now scroll and scan see the installed programs to search for any third-party antivirus or firewall software. You can also sort the list by ‘Install date’ to search it quickly. See more solutions FIX: Windows Update Error 0x800705b4 - Appuals.com here. After finding it, press on it and then tap on the option ‘Uninstall’ button. In the end, go for the uninstall wizard and then uninstall other instances of third-party firewall or antivirus software, if you found it, and then start the system again. Hopefully, it would resolve the error.

Back
Top Bottom