Windows 10 Windows 10 Won't Install

Golfjunky

I think I posted the original in the wrong thread so I decided to post it here also. Sorry for the double post.

Hi. I tried to install Windows 10 today, but failed three times. I'm running Windows 7 64. I went through the process of downloading and installing Windows 10. I get a window asking how I want to configure my keyboard. I click on U.S. Another window opens and there are several boxes to click on. I can't remember all of them or the exact wording, but one is remove files and apps but keep personal info, and the other is remove everything. I clicked on remove files and apps but keep personal info. Then I get the error message, that Windows 10 cannot be installed because my hard drive is locked. Please unlock your hard drive. I can usually figure things out myself when it come to most computer problems, but have no idea what to do here. Can anyone give me some help or suggestions?

I have been trying to install for 3 days now. I am on win 7 64. It downloads ok but when it gets to installing drivers etc. it fails on error C1900101-30018. Apparently this covers a multitude of problems, have seen and tried many suggestions without success.
Do you think Microsoft will provide a solution, after all they did put a note on my PC that they had checked and everything was ok.

@Golfjunky are you running Nortons by any chance?
option 1, re-install or just safe boot into W7 then run the update... ime a re-install is best (assume you backed up files) because the old system may have all kinds of junk on it.

option 2, boot into W7 and un-install your anti-virus (removing all it's files) then upgrade, post back to us with what errors you get duing scan this time but any should have already poped up duing the first up grade try.

Will the Windows 10 download and install fire up in safe mode? I've downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade several times with my own account and tried a number of things including removing my copy of Norton Security and I'm about at my wits end as it finishes the download and says it's preparing the install and when it reaches the end of that phase of the download the upgrade simply fails with the 8007005 error.

I recommend you use the wx tool from Microsoft to download it as an iso, then use something like rufus to put it onto a usb stick and run the install from that.

Norton Security
Make sure you have removed ALL traces of it before moving on as it can be very hard to get rid of.

Will the Windows 10 download and install fire up in safe mode?

Some computers can download in safe mode but most can't and wifi download isn't a default safemode setting however if you still have Norton (or whatever blocking things) then begining the usb install from safe mode should get you around it.

I've removed as many traces of Norton that I can find. I've tried doing the install from and ISO CD and a memory stick. From the CD I get the Windows 10 splash on the screen and then it quits and does nothing. From the memory stick it does nothing to start with. I tried downloading in safe mode but my PC is one that will not do so. Right now as I'm writing this thread a second level support tech from MS has remote controlled my machine and tried again to successfully install Win 10 and failed. He then did a system restore on my PC that returns everything and all settings to their default. Once he calls back I'm sure he will try again. I'll let folks know about how things progress.

He then did a system restore on my PC that returns everything and all settings to their default.
Factory reset?

OK well Microsoft should be able to get you sorted out but Good luck with it mate.

Back