Windows 7 Windows 7 64-bit license

Michael6

Hi!

I have been looking all over for an answer to my question regarding Windows 7, and thought: "Where better to ask than on a Windows 7 forum?" ;)

I bought a new laptop in July this year, making me eligible for the "Windows 7 Upgrade Option".

The Windows Vista Version installed on my computer when I bought it was Business 32-bit (although I soon used the downgrade option and am running Windows XP at the moment).

This of course means that I can order an upgrade to a similar version of Windows 7 (a Professional 32-bit version, that is), which I already did, and I'm therefore currently waiting for my upgrade DVDs to arrive.

The problem is now that I'm already considering if maybe I'd be better off with a 64-bit version of Windows 7 (my computer is 64-bit compatible and I'm considering upgrading to 6 or 8 GB of RAM).

What are my options now?

-Can I possibly upgrade my Windows 7 32-bit (which is in itself an upgrade!) to a 64-bit version?

I mean WRT the license, not the installation ('clean install' or 'upgrade') per se.

-Or is my only option to buy a new, full version of Windows 7 64-bit?

Looking forward to your help - thank you in advance

Michael

Most all of us agree that an upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-install your 3rd party applications.

You can legally move to a 64 bit version if you so desire. You will need the x64 version of the discs, and it would depend on how your new DVDs come. In some cases they send only one version, and in others, they send both. If you get 2 DVDs the key will be good for either one. If you only get one, you may have to ask for a different version. If you were to have access to a x64 version already, I do not know if the key that came with a single 32 bit version would work, but it probably would.

You will of course, have to do a Custom(clean) install from XP, as reghakr suggests by booting from the x64 install DVD.

Most all of us agree that an upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

I myself would prefer a clean install instead of just overwriting the existing files. Was just not sure whether it was possible (since the Win 7 license is an "upgrade" of an existing license). I had heard rumors that I would have to reinstall my Windows Vista before upgrading to Win 7. If this isn't necessary, I would obviously be very pleased :)

You can legally move to a 64 bit version if you so desire. You will need the x64 version of the discs, and it would depend on how your new DVDs come. In some cases they send only one version, and in others, they send both. If you get 2 DVDs the key will be good for either one. If you only get one, you may have to ask for a different version. If you were to have access to a x64 version already, I do not know if the key that came with a single 32 bit version would work, but it probably would.

You will of course, have to do a Custom(clean) install from XP, as reghakr suggests by booting from the x64 install DVD.

So if I understand this correctly, the upgrade license to Windows 7 should cover the 64 as well as the 32-bit version?
-And if the upgrade package from Microsoft doesn't include 2 DVDs (but only the 32-bit version), I should be able to ask them to send me the 64-bit version as well?

If true, this sounds like great news to me :)

Michael,

1st, let me welcome you to the Windows 7 Forums :)

Now, here it is in a nutshell. The original Vista is a moot point. You cannot use an in-place upgrade path from XP to Win7, anyway, no matter what. When XP, migration to Windows 7 must be via a fresh, clean ("Custom") install. Save any important data & all programs, software & apps will need be reloaded.

This can be done via either Full Version or Upgrade media... although Fulls are always the ideal. Since from scratch build & hardware supports x64, feel free to go to x64 OS. Heartily recommend x64.

Unless OEM, both x86 & x64 are available sharing 1 Key. Only way both can be used is if dual-boot.

Think that covers everything you mentioned, hope so, anyway.

Cheers,
Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties awayy!"

Having done a bit of researching, it seems my version of Vista is in fact OEM (wasn't sure of the difference before). So I guess I'll have to settle with the 32-bit version of Windows 7 (equivalent to my OEM version of Vista that was preinstalled on my lapton when I bought it).

Alternatively I can buy a full/retail version of Windows 7 (32/64-bit) later if I so wish.

Pity, should have checked this out before I bought the laptop..

Thank you all very much for your replies: Now I don't have to live in ignorance anymore;)

Having done a bit of researching, it seems my version of Vista is in fact OEM (wasn't sure of the difference before). So I guess I'll have to settle with the 32-bit version of Windows 7 (equivalent to my OEM version of Vista that was preinstalled on my lapton when I bought it).

Alternatively I can buy a full/retail version of Windows 7 (32/64-bit) later if I so wish.

Pity, should have checked this out before I bought the laptop..

Thank you all very much for your replies: Now I don't have to live in ignorance anymore;)

No, you can purchase the upgrade instead of the OEM version of Win 7 that contains both 32 and 64 bit disks. You already purchased at legitimate copy of Windows. The problem (minor) that you will have is you must do a "CLEAN" install of Win 7 - 64 bit at which time the key will not activate. This can be resolved by running "SETUP" from the DVD drive from the newly loaded/booted version of Win 7 on you hard drive and then do an "UPGRADE". After the upgrade completes the activation key will be accepted.

Last edited:
Let's straighten out some confusion...

So if I understand this correctly, the upgrade license to Windows 7 should cover the 64 as well
as the 32-bit version?

YES, for example a keycode for the pro version will work with EITHER 32 or 64 bit

NO, you can NOT upgrade 32 to 64 bid. They are totally different operating systems.. which means you can ONLY do a CLEAN install.
You also can NOT upgrade xp to any version of 7. You must do a clean install. Then you can migrate some old files and settings with easy transfer.. but there are limits such as it does not transfer email.

HOWEVER, your upgrade key will NOT work if you do a CLEAN install. You have to use a workaround to get the FULL install to accept an upgrade key. Read this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/174710/microsoft_says_windows_7_install_workaround_is_legal.html

Still not confused enough? Microsoft made it confusing in order to discourage people from paying half price for an UPGRADE key and then using it to do a FULL /clean/custom install. But then they said if you had xp or wanted to upgrade to 64 bit or you have a new hard driver or just wanted to do a clean install, as long as you had a legit copy of XP or Vista it was ok to use a workaround. They even released a tool... but their tool violated open source code standards and they had to remove it from their website.

-And if the upgrade package from Microsoft doesn't include 2 DVDs (but only the 32-bit version), I should be able to ask them to send me the 64-bit version as well?

No... not necessary... to add to the confusion, Microsoft released the LINKS to download the ISO's directly from their website:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/28/direct-download-ISO-dvd-for-windows-7-student-upgrade/

Your product key MUST MATCH the version you install. A Pro key will not activate a Home Premium install.

It's all simplified at Windows 7 Tweaks, Tricks, Tips, Secrets, Shortcuts, Solutions and Fixes

it's a "Double Pass"... 1st time select "Custom", do not activate, 2nd time selecting "Upgrade" or "Update" (which ever word), now activate.

I still can't understand how a "double pass" can be a "clean" install? Seems to me the registry would need some serious optimizing and drivers could be duplicated.. and probably a lot of files duplicated. it just opens the door to the same problems as upgrading from Vista... except there shouldn't be any software installed.

Back