Windows Vista Windows 7 64-bit painfully slow internet browsing

TehHerb

I installed windows 7 64-bit the other day and i've noticed that browsing the internet is VERY difficult. Sometimes pages will only half load (missing graphics etc) or not load at all. I have tried chrome, IE and firefox and they all have the same issues. As another example, no youtube videos load anymore it just gives me an error. I know my internet isn't this slow because it never has been and i haven't changed anything, if i'm downloading files from the internet I can sometimes get decent speeds, its just browsing that is the real pain. I have looked for solutions to the problem, and i've tried them but they don't seem to work, one told me to add these two keys to my registry, one told me to type something into command prompt others have told me to disable windows update and nothing has solved it. Any help would be appreciated. Also, my hardware is as follows:

CPU - Intel Q9550 OC to 3.10GHz
GPU - ATI HD Radeon 4870 X2
Mobo - Gigabyte X48-DQ6
RAM - 4GB DDR2 1066 MHz G.Skill

Hey! How's it goin? How is your system connected to the Internet (through a router to a cable or dsl modem, directly connected to cable or dsl modem, wired, wireless, etc.)?

Not sure about the disabling windows update stuff - was the command you typed into the command prompt to disable autotuning?

Yeah, i'm connected through an ethernet cable to a router. "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" that's the command i entered to command prompt

Hey! Sorry about the long delay - I'll do better at checking this. Have you tried hooking up the computer directly to the cable/dsl modem?

It could be that the router doesn't like something Windows 7 is doing - if you can hook the router directly to the cable/dsl modem and you're able to browse without problems - perhaps a firmware update/upgrade for the router might take care of the problem?

Hi, i am new here, and the reason why, is because i am having some issues too. I have a new pc with Windows 7 pre-installed. And have fast Internet connection, yet somehow i get slow download speeds. They start at 1.8MB/s, but soon after the start they reduce in speed until 500kb/s... Yet my five year old pc with XP installed on it, still can download at 2MB/s... On the same network, wired and wireless...

Welcome to the forum Alain.

Hi, i am new here, and the reason why, is because i am having some issues too. I have a new pc with Windows 7 pre-installed. And have fast Internet connection, yet somehow i get slow download speeds. They start at 1.8MB/s, but soon after the start they reduce in speed until 500kb/s... Yet my five year old pc with XP installed on it, still can download at 2MB/s... On the same network, wired and wireless...

I would not be to worried about the computer being the problem. My download speed is 1.3 MB/s but have had a few instances of downloading 300kb/s from the same site. I would say that the problem comes from the download site. For some reason their connection may not be very good. There had been times when it was so slow that I would cancel and redownload. It seemed like doing that helped in the respect I got a better connection. I have also run speed test and found that my download speed was fine. That is why I think it may be the site you are downloading from that may be causing the problem.

Have you tried downloading from different sites to see if there is a difference in speed?

Last edited:
i wish that was the case. But i tested it many times now. I start the dowload on W7 slow, then on XP, fast... It drives me nuts....

i wish that was the case. But i tested it many times now. I start the dowload on W7 slow, then on XP, fast... It drives me nuts....

I am sure if it could be a problem with Win 7, someone here can help and let you know what you might do. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help. It does sound like it could be a bad connection.

Back