Windows 7 Windows 7 64 install hang before loading

Silvr2009

When I try to install the 64 bit version of 7 it hangs as soon as the monitor resolution changes, on a black screen. I can't hear the DVD spinning either. The 32 bit version works fine. My BIOS is newest version. I changed HPET to 64 bit. I googled around but everything I had referred to hangs after install. I tried a different download and burn and still the same result. Also tried a different monitor in case the refresh was too high or something. My CPU is a Intel e2180 the mobo is a Gigabyte P35-DS4 and the video card is Radeon HD3650. Thanks!

Last edited:
It's happening to me too!

Just downloaded the 64 bit RC and had the same problem.

The DVD is detected and I was prompted to "press any button to boot from CD".

Whereupon I did and then nothing happens and the screen go's black.

same issue on Dell 540

Im having the same issue on a Dell 540s quad proc system with Windows 7 x64 RTM. I've installed RC (x64 and x86) on several machines including a 540s dual core,with no problems at all.
I'm suspecting that mine is a hardware problem: it occasionally hangs in diag testing, esp on video tests. I wonder if Win7 stresses the vid card at that point (maybe to see highest resolution?) Tranceruk, have you tested video?

I'll have to try x86 version: curious that Silvr got that working.

Last edited:
Problem solved, it was the evil keyboard

Has anyone ever seen that one before? I went to install win7 on the next machine, and blammo, same freeze, same spot. I decided to start swapping everything. It was the Dell keyboard that stopped the win 7 install before it went to the graphical "language, keyboard, time/currency prefs". Grabbed a different keyboard and loaded both x86 and x64 versions of the RTM with no problems on both machines. Go figure...

Back