Windows 7 Windows 7 64bit - 8gb Memory - ATI Video Driver

Trancebear

I have been running both versions of Windows 7 32 and 64bit without a problem on my computer. So today I install 4 more gigs of memory for a total of 8 and the desktop started in 800x600 and said that my ATI driver was not working. I had the ATI beta drivers from ATI installed. I tried all of the Windows supplied drivers and the only one to work is the 1st one Windows installs when you first install Windows 7. I have an ATI HD-2600-XT Video Card and AMD quad-core CPU. Anybody else have this issue? Any fixes?

I also tried a fresh install of Win7 64bit and the same thing happens.

I also tried a fresh install of Win7 64bit and the same thing happens.

Last edited:
I have tried the preview drivers and the 8.12, 8.11 for Vista.

I tried the Vista 64bit driver package in compatibility mode and still doesn't work. I also tried to manually install the Vista driver and still no go.

Last edited:
Did you try pulling a stick of RAM?
It's possible that your motherboard can only handle 8 GB including video memory.

My motherboard supports up to 16gb of system memory and my video card has 256mb of dedicated memory. It is not a built-in video card.

Are you 100% positive that it supports 16 GB of the RAM that you put in?
More often than not, it will support different amounts based on speed.
For example, it will support 16 GB of PC2-5300 RAM but only 12 GB of PC2-6400.
I would really try removing a stick.

The model # is right in my sig. I am positive it supports 16gb of PC2-6400. It is the best 790fx motherboard you can buy right now. I appreciate the help but I have looked at all the obvious stuff. I have run memtest on the memory and all of the sticks are fine. What I really want to find out is seeing that the items I have should play nice together but they are not. What might be causing this error?. Like I said before this exact setup worked in Vista 32/64 and Win7 32/64 with 4 gigs of memory and worked fine in Vista 64 with 8gb of memory. I do not feel it is my hardware. The one thing that is causing the error is Win 7 64bit.

If everything was working fine before you added RAM, it is possible that you have an clocking issue, or a bad stick.

Try going back to 4gigs, then up to 6, then up to 8 and see if there's a problem along the way. I would also Default your BIOS.

Maybe even make sure your RAM is of the Same Manufacturer.

I fixed it. I had to download a standalone Catalyst uninstaller, run it and then run the install again for the ATI beta drivers and it worked. Doing the regular uninstall from within Catalyst did not work for me. All is good. As in my earlier posts my memory was good and all of the same type, speed, mfg, model # so I knew it was not the hardware.

I fixed it. I had to download a standalone Catalyst uninstaller, run it and then run the install again for the ATI beta drivers and it worked. Doing the regular uninstall from within Catalyst did not work for me. All is good. As in my earlier posts my memory was good and all of the same type, speed, mfg, model # so I knew it was not the hardware.

What driver are you actually using now that works? Pre-release driver from Windows Update or win7 driver from ATI based on 8.12?

My case is similar to yours. I am using HD2600XT and have 6GB of RAM with Windows 7 beta installed (64-bit version 7000). The initial Microsoft driver worked with no problem. Then one day in Windows Update there was driver update available for HD2600XT which I updated. Then error appeared. I rolled it back, and tried ATI Pre-release driver for Windows 7 beta from CCC 8.12. It did not work either. At the same time, CCC9.1 was available for XP/Vista and I installed the Vista 64-bit version instead which worked without problems. However, even CCC 8.12 and 9.1 did not fix the problem of H.264 digital TV showing in Windows Media Centre.

I have only been able to use the Vista 64bit 8.11 driver. It works well with the only game I play. UT2004. I can use the 9.1 but UT2004 has issues with it.

Back