Windows 7 Windows 7 64bit Install Error 0xE000100

jamiej831

I am attemtpting to install the win 64bit 7 RC on a brand new build. I am using a USB stick as my install media. The install boots, although it takes a VERY long time to get from when windows begins to load the setup files to the place where I have issues (about 15 - 20 minutes). Where the install crashes, is instantly after I choose "custom Install" and kicks back a 0xE000100 error, which is a general media error code, I beleive.

If I use the exact same USB thumbdrive on my 2+ year old Dell Optiplex 320 (which is a piece) not only does it get past the error point, but it gets there in about 2-5 minutes versus 15-20. It looks like the issue above crashed in the step directly before choosing the install partition - It never gets to the point were I can choose what drive or partition I want to use, but on the optiplex it does, and this is right after clicking "custom install" were my new unit crashes.

My Specs:
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe with Newest BIOS flashed
ATI Phenom II x4 955 Deneb 3.2 AM3 Black Box Edition
MSI R4890-T2D1G OC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
OZC Gold DDR3 1600 Dual Channel 2GBx2
250 GB Western Digital SATA HDD
40GB Samsung SATA HDDx2
80 GB Western Digital SATA HDD

I've attemtped to remove 1 2gb ram stick, no love. SATA is set to "IDE" profile in my BIOS. Any suggestiosn would be great
Thanks,
JJ

Fixed!

Well, I fixed this, in case anyone else may find themselves with the same issue. Not too sure why, though. But here's what I did:
1. Unplugged ALL hard Drives
2. Installed and IDE (PATA) Hard drive.
3. Installed to the IDE Drive
4. Insatlled 1 SATA drive (250 WD) Tried to copy over to a SATA drive using clonezilla
5. Messed up the MBR in doing so.
6. On re-install, install program allowed me to choose the SATA drive.
7. Installed clean to SATA drive, removed IDE (PATA).

I'm not too sure if it was actually adding the IDE (PATA) drive, or the removal of the 3 other SATA's, but it worked.

Hopefully this can help someone else.

Re: Fixed!

I tried to reinstall Vista and ran into this install error 0xe0000100. I was reinstalling the O/S because my anti-virus software was unable to update. I was thinking about updating to Win7 so this seemed like a good time. Lo and behold I couldn't install Win7 because I kept getting the same error. Thinking my problem was my hard drive, I decided to take the plunge and step up to a SSD HD. I disconnected the other drives and the O/S installed with no problem. I read a article on Maximum PC about moving the user partition to another drive to save space on the C: drive. The move required registry changes which I
evidently mucked up, I was getting profile errors. To make a long story short I tried to reinstall Win7 and the install error popped up again. Then a light went off after reading this thread... disconnect the other drives!!

Re: Fixed!

For some the most evident is disconnect all other drives while installing. :cool:
I been there myself and it would not recognize a second drive when it did eventually install but took forever on a clean install from Vista 64 to 7 64. free upgrade disk from dell I installed clean

Back