Windows 7 Windows 7 64bit keeps freezing after trying to use my LAN

Matic89

Hey guys!

I'm having this really big problem that's been bugging me since from the 1st day with my win7...everything works perfectly except my lan adapter. Everytime someone tries to log onto my computer via our home network my computer freezes. However, if I try to connect on another pc there's no problems at all. I'm running my OS on a stock asus a7sn laptop.

I tried to download new drivers for the atheros gigabit adapter that's inside my laptop, but found only 1 which didn't help.
I tried installing win7 on my girlfriends laptop as well because I thought that maybe this was the problem, me having the homegroup app and she still running on vista, but it didn't help either. I tried disabling homegroups and manually set up sharing but still ended up with a freeze of my laptop. I tried running it in safe mode with networking but then my laptop was not discoverable on the network, so I couldn't test out anything. I tried lowering my resolution since I read on several forums that others resolved their issue that way but still with no resault.

I personaly think it's a driver issue, but I can't find any driver support for this hardware (thank you so much Atheros or whoever the hell you are!!) so I really don't know what else to do. :(

I would be very thankful for any suggestions or possible solutions!

Thank you very much in advance guys!

Anyone? Please help?

If nothing else just give me a link if i missed a solution that is already on the forum.

Regards,

Matic

I would go to Task Manager /services /services and Disabled the Function Discovery Resource Publication service

Then see if that fixe it but Windows 7's new "HomeGroup" connectivity requires this service.

No, this didn't help. I disabled the service and tried to browse my computer via another computer over lan and it just froze up again. Then i restarted and tried again and the same problem occured.

Any other suggestions? Really on my whit's end here :((

No, this didn't help. I disabled the service and tried to browse my computer via another computer over lan and it just froze up again. Then i restarted and tried again and the same problem occured.

Any other suggestions? Really on my whit's end here :((

Did you reboot so the setting would be take effect? Anytime you make modifications to services, tasks, registry and just about any other system features... you really need to shut down and then restart. Usually a reboot is good enough but not always.

I shut down and turned on my laptop and it still froze up when I tried browsing it over another computer. I tried switching the router and still the same problem persists so the router is not the problem..

any other ideas? :(

How could i provide more info (like even viewer logs) if maybe that would provide any more clues? Is there some way i can export the log and paste it here? because I went through a little before and found some warnings regarding some dns clients and a few critical kernel erorrs, but I don't really know what any of that stuff means....

Can you open these links? don't know how else to upload the photos..

I think that the kernel one is because of the hard reset that I have to do every time the comp freezes..the other one I didn't understand though...

%5C%5Cbiggie_laptop%5Cc%5Cusers%5Cbiggie%5Cdesktop%5Cdns.png

moz-screenshot.png

%5C%5Cbiggie_laptop%5Cc%5Cusers%5Cbiggie%5Cdesktop%5Ckernel.png

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Like so?

Sorry guys...didn't know how =)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Regards,

Matic

I can't read the text. It's too small. Did you google the error? That's how I finally figured out how to fix two errors I was seeing in my event log.

Solved

Thank you all that replied and for all your advice!

I went to asus' support page and downloaded the new driver for my atheros chip. It was not specifically for my laptop (I don't know why they don't make it for my laptop but they do for other comps...) but it still worked. I tried browsing my laptop over LAN and it didn't freeze. So thanks again for all your help!

Admins you can put this thread into the solved page now :)

Just go to support.asus.com and find the download "L1WinSetup24727_Win7.zip"

Good Luck guys! :)

Matic

Back