Windows 7 Windows 7 64u - Ownership problems

AnotherUser

Ok, I have found many examples of this but every solution I have read doesn't work for me, I'll start at the top in what steps I have taken to the current situation.

On installing Windows 7 it worked flawlessly, proceeded to install apps etc, that evening I turned off.

On login the next day no net access, on phone to India for 2.5 hours, solution given, disable UAC and remove all third party start up services and applications from the registry such as ATI's CCC, this solved the net connection issue and my ability to come online was resolved.

Tried to swap some .wav files out, specifically the "sounds" for Avast with a popular user made pack.

Was installed to "C:\Apps\Avast" as I went through the whole "Ownership" issue with Vista so avoid "Program Files" like the plague.

No permission so do anything with any of these files or folders from standard admin account.

Went through the often suggested "Take Ownership" steps, system claims I have ownership and full access rights yet still no permission to do anything.

Finally gave up and enabled the true admin account from an elevated cmd prompt, here we are again still no permission to do anything.

In a last ditch effort to save my sanity uninstalled Avast and this time installed to "D:\Apps\Avast" and went through all the above steps, you guess where I'm going with this didn't you, still no permission to do anything.

Finally uninstalling and reinstalling back to "C:\Apps\Avast" in a moment of frankly utter desperation tried to give full permission to my original normal admin account to the entire C: drive.

Now it's in an infinite check disc loop wanting to run it at every single boot where I cant even log on unless I tell it to stop and I still have no authorisation to do anything.

:( I would use a "very very tired" emote if it was available.

Last edited:
"solution given, disable UAC and remove all third party start up services and applications from the registry such as ATI's CCC, this solved the net connection issue and my ability to come online was resolved."

That is ky first surprise and query! I cannot think of anything that would need to be disabled, on a new installation, to establish an internet connection, other than, in an extreme case, the Firewall. But are you operating on minimum ram? Where you really advised to remove items from the registry? That astonishes me. It would be very unlike Microsoft to suggest such a method.
"Tried to swap some .wav files out, specifically the "sounds" for Avast with a popular user made pack".

That sounds suspicious. What was the name of the "popular user pack" You can disable the Avast sounds through the program's own options - no need for any third party pack.

"Was installed to "C:\Apps\Avast" as I went through the whole "Ownership" issue with Vista so avoid "Program Files" like the plague."

I am not sure what you mean here. What ownership issue? and what "plague" are you referring to.

The remainder of your post referes to the fact that you did not have permission to "do anything" This is a unique situation.

Sorry, if this post seems perinent. It is not intended as such, but it is neccessary to have a couple of details further, as your problems are rather unusual.
Where did you obtain your Windows 7 and which version is it?
If it is a genuine, final release, then I would only suggest a complete reinstall, without messing with the customisation, or moving folders, until you have established the normaL working facilities and functions.

Update:

Wrote this out for another forum where people seem to think I have not enabled ownership so re-posting it here in case its an issue.

Me said:
"Not sure how more clearly I can state it without posting every line on each page so here goes, someone can say if I have missed something.

Properties/Security/Group or User Names = UserName (PCName\UserName)
Full control = Yes
Modify = Yes
Read & Execute = Yes
List folder contents = Yes
Read = Yes
Write = Yes

Properties/Security/Advanced/Permissions

Type: Allow
Name: UserName (PCName\UserName)
Permission: Full control
Inherited From: <not inherited>
Apply To: This folder, subfolders and files

Properties/Security/Advanced/Auditing

Type: Success
Name: UserName (PCName\UserName)
Access: Full control
Inherited From: <not inherited>
Apply To: This folder, subfolders and files

Properties/Security/Advanced/Owner

Current Owner: UserName (PCName\UserName)

Properties/Security/Advanced/Effective Permissions

Group or user name: UserName (PCName\UserName)

Full control = Yes
Traverse folder / execute file = Yes
List folder / read data = Yes
Read attributes = Yes
Read extended attributes = Yes
Create files / write data = Yes
Create folders / append data = Yes
Write attributes = Yes
Write extended attributes = Yes
Delete subfolders and files = Yes
Delete = Yes
Read permissions = Yes
Change permissions = Yes
Take ownership = Yes

P.S. Replace the word "Yes" with a tick."

Sorry, I only caught your response after I posted the update post.

Regarding the startup services, I recognised one as AVG antivirus and the other as ATI CCC, the third was Asus "Tweak It" and the fourth was an indecipherable string name linked to "Apple".

Regarding AVG I simply got rid of it entirely as removing it from startup was not a practical solution so went for Avast.

Regarding the pack, its known as "sasha avast sounds", I used it without issues in Xp and Vista once its UAC was killed and did not imagine I would be running into problems here, its simply a .zip file containing seven replacement .wav's.

Regarding "what ownership issue", the one that was introduced with UAC in Vista.

It caused more hoop jumping for simple file authorisations and was frequently talked about in severely negative tones over the entire internet prior to people learning how to disable UAC and/or enable the true administrator account. It would appear the situation with W7's UAC is even harder to work around if with a fully authorised true admin account I am unable to replace some wav files in a non system directory.

Regarding the version, as follows from my receipt from Amazon:

"Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Full Version (PC DVD)"

I used the 64 bit disc from the two options and DxDiag reports as follows:

"Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)"

I use the above references as "Control Panel\System and Security\System" does not appear to list a version number although it does state its activated.

From your line of questions it would appear you think this issue is due to a pirated version I'm afraid your mistaken and as such I'm still looking for a realistic solution besides re-installing the entire operating system.

Last edited:
I had a very similar and strange issue with this. It turned out that it was my internet security suite Norton that was taking control of my permissions and screwing them all up. Once i uninstalled Norton my issue was fixed.

Don't misundertsatnd me, Anotheruser. I am not a policeman. Where or when you purchased your Windows 7 is not my concern. For various reasons, not connected in any way with legality, I often find it difficult to deal with probelms associated with downloaded material from other than official sources. I was merely trying to emlininate that possibility.

I do feel, at this stage, that my suggestion of a complete reinstall would appear to be your best option. I agree with Iroken concerning the idiosyncrasies of Norton products. If you do have it, try and uninstall it and see if you solve any problems.

Back
Top Bottom