Windows 7 Windows 7 7048 64 bit random freeze, need help

Ragaroah

Hello everyone,

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, build 7048, and I'm having random freezes. The system just locks up randomly. It could be after 5 minutes, but it could also be after 5 hours. I have no idea what's causing it.

Specs are:
AMD Phenom 9650 x4
2x2GB GEIL DDR2 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon 4850

Could anyone help me out? The only major programs that are running are VLC/WMP (Tried with both, still freezes), WoW, Avast, and Live Messenger.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also having the same problem with Windows 7 7068 32 bit, now installing Windows Vista 64 bit SP1 to check if it also has the same problem.

EDIT2: Also having the problem in Windows Vista 64 bit SP1 now, so checking if any components causing the problem now. CPU temperature is normal, Windows Memory Diagnostic doesn't show any problems, now going to check with Seagate Seatools and Memtest86 to check if HDD/Memory is causing it. If not, I'll be returning to the shop, seeing I got this rig yesterday.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, build 7048, and I'm having random freezes. The system just locks up randomly. It could be after 5 minutes, but it could also be after 5 hours. I have no idea what's causing it.

Specs are:
AMD Phenom 9650 x4
2x2GB GEIL DDR2 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon 4850

Could anyone help me out? The only major programs that are running are VLC/WMP (Tried with both, still freezes), WoW, Avast, and Live Messenger.

Thanks in advance.
EDIT: Also having the same problem with Windows 7 7068 32 bit, now installing Windows Vista 64 bit SP1 to check if it also has the same problem.

Random freezes are multifactorial and most often hardware or drivers related and sometimes due to virus/malware.
If this is a new computer make sure you have adequate ventilation/cooling system to prevent overheating ( which includes proper application of thermal paste just in case you had to remove the CPU from the recommended Heatsink and Fan assembly after installation); if an old PC make sure the vents are clean and fans are working normally by dusting the interior and fixing or replacing the fans.
Bad Ram or RAM sockets with poor contact with RAM is another cause ; usually the former in a new system and the latter in an old and dusty computer. Trying different RAM sticks suitable for your MoBo or cleaning the Socket and RAM modules and reinserting them is one way to confirm or rule out this cause.

Inadequate Power Supply can be a cause and make sure you have a good PSU for your System.

Decreased hard drive virtual memory might be another thing to consider. Make sure you have adequate free Disk space .

Since Virus/Worms and malware can simulate almost any hardware malfunction , check your system with an Online Virus scanner like Windows Live OneCare . I know you have AVAST but any of the ANTIVIRUS programs is NOT 100% protective and depending on our way of Internet browsing, Messenger use, and use of emails or other software, our systems can still get infected and a second opinion is always the best way to rule out an unrecognized infection.

Windows 7 BUILD-7048 is in my experience the best of all currently obtainable versions of this Beta OS including 7052 and 7062

Good luck in your troubleshoot

Last edited:
The only time mine locks up is when I'm using IE8 beta.

I have been using IE 8 Version 8.0.7068.0 in Windows 7 Build 7068 and IE 8 Version 8.0.7048.0 in my preferred Window 7 Build 7048 without any problems so far. I try not to use unnecessary Browser Add-ons by disabling some. You can do that by clicking Tools> Manage Add-ons dialog box in IE8

If you want you may uninstall IE8 from Win 7 using Control Panel (category view) >Programs>Programs and Features> and from the list below , click Turn Windows Features on or off and in Windows Features dialog box,Uncheck ( untick) IE8.

i have the same problem as Ragaroah, im using:

Asus M2N E SLI
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.6GHz
4GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz
XFX 8600GT
Windows 7 X64 Build 7068

I would say stick with build 7000, this could be a compatibility issue between your PC and the 7048 build. Hey, this build wasn't even intended for the public, and their is a reason for that.

No the problem seems to be happening to many people with different builts

I installed the windows 7 64x 7100 Built about one month ago, and i have the same problem all of a sudden.
No one seems to have an answer yet to this problem, and I hope Microsoft fixes this issue for it makes window7 not usable for a lot of us, and further testing and reporting will not be possible.

Here is what i tried so people might have refrence of what might and might not work:
The problem with this freez is that you dont notice it is a reoccuring problem right away and hence cannot pin point if it is a new installation of a program or update that caused it.
BUT if i remember correctly the problem first occured when I tried using my HDMI cable and connect My laptop to a LCD to watch a movie. so here is what i did:

1) did a system restore to before i installed Vlc player.
2) Turned off Aero theme
3) uninstalled all office 2007 updates that i could (cannot uninstall sp2)
4) uninstalled all recent windows updates upto the windws explorer hang update.
5) uninstalled unimportant adobe suite CS4 components and programs..
6) turrned off Kaspersky Anti Virus.
6) uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvedia driver through windows update
The problem is still there.

Now I have uninstalled the Nvedia driver again, but did not reinstall it (turned off auto update) used the generic driver (which gets installed as soon as u restart)... I think this is working. If this is working then I think i can pinpoint the problem to one of three things...
A) if i remmebr correctly Microsoft released a new version of the Nvedia driver for my laptop and this could have caused it.
B) Installing adobe. I installed adobe master suite at around the same time i plugged my laptop through the HDMI and i noticed in the Nvedia control panel that there are certain settings how to handle the adobe programs. I think this can easily be checked by uninstalling adobe completely and seeing
C) something changes when you Nvedia sets up to use and HDMI output.. I highly doubt this and have no idea how to do it.. my guess is somehow I have to delete all old preferences from the old Nvedia program so that when it reinstals it does not know or configure according to the old one ( or is the uninstall of Nvedia a total clean uninstall.. I dont know does anyone know?)

Anyways I will update in regards to this.
My Laptop specs:
Toshiba x205 SLi1
T7250 2.0GHZ
2 Gb Ram

Just as a matter of note, and I know people will argue this,, but,,,

I never use any drivers at all from MS Updates. I have had more problems with them than off the manufacturers site.
I get Nvidia drivers from nvidia, I get all intel drivers from intel. audio drivers from either Creative or Realtek etc.

Don't rely on or expect that the drivers off of MS Updates are going to work. More times than not, they don't.

Seems to be a codec problem

I have no argument against that... but in windows 7 the driver updates seem to be OK. Also try finding a driver for my video ccard on Nvedia's website... they tell you to go back to microsoft to get it. This is the problem with many of the drivers right now for Windows7... I found out (on my PC that is running win 7 as well) that sometimes u could use vista drivers, but i prefer to get one from microsoft right now.

After uninstalling the video driver I noticed no changed... So after all it was not that... I started uninstaling all the programs i previously installed and then it occured to me that it could be as simple as a codec problem. Incompatible codec.. and since i uninstalled VLC with no effect to the problem it must be something else i think i pin pointed it to one of three softwares:
Subtitle workshop
flv player
Koyotesoft free mp3 wma converter 1.8.0
I will installing all the updates once again and reinstall adobe and see if everything is still ok to eliminate them as the problem, then i will install each of the softwares and see.

Will keep you updated.

I have the EXCAT same problem (see my thread), this fault must be in Windows 7, and not in our systems. I simply dosen't belive it when I have seen so many here having freeze problems with win7.

Same problem here(I have HP dv4-1345). Thing I'm not 100% sure if it's right, but I think I never had problems while my laptop was on battery, it freezes only when it's plugged in. Could this help?

This reply is a bit late but it may help others that search for the same problem.

I had the same problem (intermittent lockup and freezes) and when I used the ATI drivers from the catalyst packet for the graphics card (Radeon HD 4650) instead of the MS drivers that was installed during setup of Win7, the computer always froze when playing flash video from youtube and sometimes also at startup of windows.

It seems that the MS driver for the wireless network card that was installed during setup of Win7 was somehow conflicting with the driver for the graphics card. Replacing the driver for the wireless network card with the driver from the manufacturer solved the problem. I can now use the ATI drivers and the Catalyst software (in order to get open gl) and everything works fine.

Ruben / Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back
Top Bottom