Windows 8 Windows 7 and 8 sharing files

nzskiing

Hi there,
I have a desktop running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 8, I am also in a homegroup. Now I want to be able to share my hard drive on both computers with each other but not allow anyone else to view it. I would also like to allow read and write access for both computers too.
How can i do this?

Thanks

I want both my pcs to be able to see each other and no one else in the home group to do so.

You only told us about those two systems... what other computers are on the homegroup?

Also my laptop can't see my PC but my PC can see my laptop

If windows 7 controls the homegroup then 8 can't see it and if 8 controls it then 7 can't... the two systems don't snyc. The work around I posted is to allow a folder to be usable from both 7 and 8... I show the default 'everyone' setup but you could adjust that to whatever group or computer needs to be included or disallowed.

p.s. the point of a homegroup is to make file sharing workable... a server is best if you want to control whom can or can't see those files but that also adds lag to the network.

You only told us about those two systems... what other computers are on the homegroup?

If windows 7 controls the homegroup then 8 can't see it and if 8 controls it then 7 can't... the two systems don't snyc. The work around I posted is to allow a folder to be usable from both 7 and 8... I show the default 'everyone' setup but you could adjust that to whatever group or computer needs to be included or disallowed.

p.s. the point of a homegroup is to make file sharing workable... a server is best if you want to control whom can or can't see those files but that also adds lag to the network.

I understand homegroups but i don't want anyone else on my homegroup being able to see my files. Having a password on ti would work fine too but no idea how to do that

Back