Windows 7 Windows 7 BAckup

Mathman7

Hi everyone, first of all, anyone that replys to this post, i want to say thank you,i really appreciate it

I am always downlaoding programs and sometimes, I mess up the registry ( is computer dumb and beleives i am saying the right word). So if I am "break " my computer and is unable to load up. I want to use windows 7 to back up everything. I haev an external hardrive to use, When I say everything, this means i want everything, prgrams, registry, my documents and EVERYTHING. so it is exactly the way it was before. I tried usign windows back p. their were a bucnh of thigns that appeared that i do not understand. Oh ye I have windows 7 home premium. So my question is can i backup my computer. If so can u please show me a tutorial. Messages on how to do it would be good, but a tutorial would also be nice. But mainly i want someone to tell me what to check on windows 7 back up because their is alot of confusing words i do not understand . so thank you

Start Windows Help and Support from the start menu, the type the following in the search window.

windows image backup

The back up your programs, system settings, and files (#4) has a 45 minute video and answers many questions.

If you want specific help or steps, post back.

I long ago gave up using the built in backup. As an alternative, you might try athird party imaging program. I use Acronis, which you have to purchase, but there are several free ones available for download. One I have tried, and reccomend, is Macrium.

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

On a first installation, before doing anymore work, I make an image which is saved to a secure place. (anywhere but the install partition, of course). I the install my software and activate, then make another image. Whenever I clean my computer, or plan an "experiment", I preceed it by making yet another image. The latter is, naturally, constantly being overwritten when my cleaning program is redone.
I normally have about four such images on my computer. If I have any doubts about trojans or malfunction, I do not waste time investigating, I replace the whole thing with a chosen image. I should point out that this is done by booting up with the program option of a bootable CD, so in the event of a total freeze up, there is still no problem. The procedure, on backup and/or restore, takes 10 to 15 minutes only, and you are back in business with all your customisation and activation intact.

ok SaltGrass, I clicked on the search and i could not find the video, one more question? Doesn windows 7 home premium able to backup everything on your computer (pgrograms, registry docuemtns and so on) If not tehn save me the time and recommended me another software that does it.

ok SaltGrass, I clicked on the search and i could not find the video, one more question? Doesn windows 7 home premium able to backup everything on your computer (pgrograms, registry docuemtns and so on) If not tehn save me the time and recommended me another software that does it.

ok, I found this video
YouTube - ‪Backup And Restore Windows 7 Operating System Part 1 (Tutorial)‬‏
In the video , the person is creating a system image. now whne he says system imagem Is the person saying they are backing up everything as in registry, programs docuemtns and etc. IF so then I will use this method shown on the video, If you have another method to back things up on windows 7 because it is more effecient then using a system image please go on ahead) Nnote: i want to back up everyythign on my comptuer)

I long ago gave up using the built in backup. As an alternative, you might try athird party imaging program. I use Acronis, which you have to purchase, but there are several free ones available for download. One I have tried, and reccomend, is Macrium.

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

On a first installation, before doing anymore work, I make an image which is saved to a secure place. (anywhere but the install partition, of course). I the install my software and activate, then make another image. Whenever I clean my computer, or plan an "experiment", I preceed it by making yet another image. The latter is, naturally, constantly being overwritten when my cleaning program is redone.
I normally have about four such images on my computer. If I have any doubts about trojans or malfunction, I do not waste time investigating, I replace the whole thing with a chosen image. I should point out that this is done by booting up with the program option of a bootable CD, so in the event of a total freeze up, there is still no problem. The procedure, on backup and/or restore, takes 10 to 15 minutes only, and you are back in business with all your customisation and activation intact.

I use Acronis too. I partitioned the HD with System on one and data on other. Restoring system takes less than 15 min. I boot from the CD to make the image. I also have mutiple images on different drives. Acroins has a good forum too. I ususally make a new image after MS updates or installing new software after I am sure there are no problems.
Joe

ok, I found this video
YouTube - ‪Backup And Restore Windows 7 Operating System Part 1 (Tutorial)‬‏
In the video , the person is creating a system image. now whne he says system imagem Is the person saying they are backing up everything as in registry, programs docuemtns and etc. IF so then I will use this method shown on the video, If you have another method to back things up on windows 7 because it is more effecient then using a system image please go on ahead) Nnote: i want to back up everyythign on my comptuer)
The video is included in a section of the Windows Help and Support you access from the start menu. Just type in Windows Image Backup and you will see the pages. I suppose certain information may not be available in all parts of the world.

Attachments

• H_S 1.GIF
    H_S 1.GIF
    53.1 KB · Views: 391
  • H_S 2.GIF
    H_S 2.GIF
    74.5 KB · Views: 382
Back