Windows 7 Windows 7 black screen after "Starting Windows"

Martin Hickie

Hi

I have a Toshiba L500-19X and It keeps rebooting all the time after the "Starting Windows " logo. I have reinstalled Windows 7 using the Toshiba Recovery Disk that I have but I can't get pass the starting logo at all. I have checked the HDD, RAM and CPU but they work fine. I have also tried another HDD but still can't get passs the logo. I have resetted the BIOS to default setttings but nothing useful there. I have either tried my own copy of Windows 7 but still continues.

What else could be the cause of this??

Regards

If you can't get anywhere through programs, it would seem like a hick-up caused by a faulty motherboard. If you have warranty, take it to service. The computer hasn't been dropped or wet by, say, coffee?

Laptops often have problems with the battery, take it off, plug everything off, wait 24 hours, then try again. It's like fishing, you don't catch anything today, but tomorrow may be your best day ever.

What tests specifically did you use to test your HDD, RAM, and CPU? If you used the Toshiba internal diagnostics, unfortunately those are not all that reliable. You'll need to use 3rd party diagnostics for that.

Was the HDD you used to replace the original Toshiba hard drive with brand new or USED???

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Sorry for late reply as i've been away. Right the laptop was reformatted with the toshiba recovery disk. Once the first part of the installation completed, it when should say on the second part of the installation Windows is starting services but it only gets to the starting windows logo and reboots after the logo. The HDD and RAM are working ok, but i can't test the cpu as windows will not load fully.

I think its either the cpu or motherboard is at fault but was thinking of replaceing the board and see what happens, but the board i found is the same one as the currently board but has a different cpu, the replacement has a Intel Celeron 900 2.2GHz on it but will run my Intel Pentium Processor T4300 2.1GHz. The HDD is the original one that came with the laptop but I put another one to see if the hdd was at fault but that other hdd was doing the same thing.

What else can be the issue??

No problem. You failed to answer 2 of my questions; and that information would certainly be helpful:
1) What programs did you use to determine that your HDD and RAM are working OK??
2) And what is the Make/Model of your Hard Drive?? Both original HDD and new HDD you replaced with for testing??

It certainly sounds like the Motherboard is at fault, but I can't say until you give us the requested information to confirm your testing Modality. People love to jump to conclusions without proper basis. Hey, it's your computer.

Also, I would recommend you replace the Motherboard first, as only about 10% or less of CPU chips goes bad, unless you have visual evidence such as scarring, burning or Mold buildup on the CPU chip surfaces themselfves. That means that if you can buy an exact Motherboard replacement with CPU chip (same Chip as you have now, the T4300) already included, you can eliminate the possibility of the CPU chip being bad all in one shot for a little more money. The T4300 is similar to a T4200 I replaced for a client on a laptop last month (Dell Inpsiron 1545). However, the only Motherboard I could find did not come with a new T4200, so I was forced to order it and move over the existing T4200 chip to the new Motherboard. Things seemed to work with Windows7 just fine, but several of my diagnostics programs still failed under the HDD section (5/7 tests fail). So, I ordered a replacement T4200 from ebay, and waited for it to get here. I swapped out the CPU with the new T4200 and voila! The tests still failed! :shocked: Turns out it was a testing anomaly for that particular model laptop. New version of my testing diagnostic suite works fine on the old T4200 as well as the new one. That means the old Motherboard was good as well. This is one of the reasons we are asking you for more information on your testing programs. You can experience false-positives! Very rare, but it does happen.

I recommend that if you do replace the CPU chip, DO NOT REPLACE IT WITH A DIFFERENT CHIP than came on your original Motherboard, even if Manuals and online references tell you that you may do so. If you replace with the exact same CPU chip (the T4300), you won't have to worry about compatibility issues with the CPU chip. If Windows still doesn't install, with the NEW Motherboard and the NEW T4300 CPU chip, that means you have a failure in your installation media.:waah: That could include the Toshiba Recovery Disc as well; those can go bad due to age or mishandling; such as deep scratches. You said you installed with other Windows media; are those Microsoft LEGIT retail discs of Windows or copies? It's important to know that. Has your Windows installation media been used RECENTLY on another computer to successfully install Windows? If not, you should test that out. If your Microsoft Windows media does install ok on another CPU, you could still have a RAM problem. **Back to Question #1 again**. You'll need to tell us what you tested with an how. We can then recommend reliable tests to find the failed RAM chip. Replacing the CPU chip without an identical CPU chip is not going to help you until you can find the faulty component. Once you do this, and correct the problem so that Windows completely installs and works on the Internet, you can then go back and try your Celeron CPU chip. If it fails to work or boot Windows or even turn on, then you know it's incompatible. By the way, the T4300 is not a Celeron chip; it's CoreDuo Centrino, not the same as a Celeron. The CoreDuo Centrino CPU chip is a dual-on-die-version of the Mobile Celeron chip and NOT identical. fyi.

Post back your answers so we can advise you further or post back your final resolution.

Thanks-:zzz:
<<<BBJ>>>

The programs I used on the HDD was acronis drive and the RAM was Windows own Memory Test. The Make/Model of the Hard Drive is Toshiba MK5055GSX. I used original HDD and new HDD for testing but issue still continues. I have also tried the launch windows in safe mode, which works but i can't continue setup of windows as it was in safe mode.

Promptly, I get the picture this cannot be solved unless having the computer physically present. You need to take it to someone who can check it. It takes some effort, some money probably, although not very much, but you get it solved and settled.

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and its solution is its own reward". - Sherlock Holmes

The programs I used on the HDD was acronis drive and the RAM was Windows own Memory Test. The Make/Model of the Hard Drive is Toshiba MK5055GSX. I used original HDD and new HDD for testing but issue still continues. I have also tried the launch windows in safe mode, which works but i can't continue setup of windows as it was in safe mode.

>>>Thanks for answering back. Unfortunately neither of those programs are suitable for properly testing your hardware components.

Try doing both of these procedures instead:

If your problem persists, you likely have a hardware problem somewhere else in your PC and you'll need to run Hardware diagnostics to find the faulty component. There are 2 common causes for failures like this in PCs that are over 5 yrs. of age:
1) Faulty hard drive
2) Faulty RAM stick(s)

To test #1, download the free SEATOOLS* drive test program from seagate.com and run BOTH short and long tests. If SEATOOLS returns any errors, your Hard Drive has failed and must be replaced. Attempt to make a Backup of all needed Personal Information such as documents, photos, music, movies, E-mail, etc. to external media before removing the drive from the PC. If you are unable to do this, remove that drive and replace it. Set that failed drive aside for further data recovery.
Reinstall WHATEVER VERSION OF Windows from your installation Media and retest. If the drive did fail, this should solve your problem. :applaud:

To test #2, download the free memtest memory test program via Google. Test each stick of RAM individually for a minimum of 8 passes. If
memtest returns any errors you have a failed RAM stick and it must be replaced. Test ALL the RAM sticks you have and then reinsert all of them once they pass the memtest, and run memtest one final time with all (1-4 typicall) sticks installed. If memtest returns any errors after the 8 passes, you'll need to begin replaced pairs of RAM sticks with new ones until memtest completes without errors with all sticks installed.

*Note: Downloading both the SEATOOLS and memtestprograms will give you an ISO file image file, which you will then need to burn to CD or DVD blank disc. For this I recommend the free IMGburn program available via Google. Use the IMGburn program to create a bootable disc that contains first the SEATOOLS test and a 2nd disc that contains the memtest program. You should be able to fit both on blank CD disc; but if you only have blank DVD disc this will work just fine. Remember to change the Boot Order or Boot Preference in the boot screen (F9, F10, F11, F12 key, check your owner's manual) so your Toshiba can find the boot disc you are trying to load (SEATOOLS or memtest).

You answered part of my Question about your hard drive setup, but not the entire question. Is the ORIGINAL HDD the Toshiba MK5055GSX?? If so, what is the Make/Model # of the NEW HDD?? **is that also a Toshiba MK5055GSX; or something different**. This is important to know, as some diagnostics like SEATOOLS may not properly test the Toshiba HDDs. You may need to go to HGST.COM and download the WinDFT and DFT (Drive Fitness test) to test either or both Toshiba HDDs. This is because Toshiba does not produce their own drive diagnostic, they rely on on other companies; such as IBM/Fujitsu, and Western Digital (HGST subsidiary) to write drive diagnostics. If you indeed purchased a NEW TOSHIBA drive, they won't run the old IBM/Fujitsu DFT programs; you will have to go to HGST.COM and download the new HGST WinDFT program. If the new Toshiba HDD returns errors with that, then that drive has also failed and must be replaced. Return to the source your purchased from in that case, they sold you a defective drive!

Unfortunately, you don't have the necessary experience to troulbehsoot these kinds of problems without knowing about the right tools to use. Over 75% of laptop failures I see in my repair business are due to failing or failed HDDs; and you haven't yet properly tested and ruled out both HDDs as fully operational or non-operational.:sosad:

If you are unwilling to take your laptop to a repair shop familiar with HDD testing, or unable to afford it you still have another alternative. Take the BRAND NEW hdd to a friend's house who will let you borrow their laptop for testing purposes. Remove their HDD from their laptop, install the BRAND NEW hdd into their laptop. Install whatever Windows they are running on that laptop --preferably from Factory RECOVERY DISCS for that laptop (e.g.: Dell, HP, ACER). If Windows properly installs on your new HDD on your friend's laptop, that HDD is Good! And the MOTHERBOARD in your Toshiba has failed (as was previously suggested) and must be replaced!!!!

Best of luck,
<<<BBJ>>>:brew:

Nice again, BBJ. :up:

I only have to add a tiny bit to what you wrote: whenever dealing with disks, it's best to start with the manufacturer's page. I've become more and more cautious... "can't even take my socks off when I go to bed at night"... :ohno:

Back