Windows 7 windows 7 boot failure - bad driver

Azz94

I'm having problems booting into windows. (currently on a laptop running XP)
I recently updated my AMD Southbridge driver via "drivergenius" as well as installing an Advanced System Optimizer but i dont think that has anything todo with it. I restarted my pc as stated by the program and upon restart i was confronted with a bs! however its gone in seconds so u can't really see what it says, maybe 0x000000f4 I have ran the system recovery options several times and says "startupp repair cannot repair this computer automatically", then when you click problem detials it says:

Problem Event Name: StartupReportOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21215624
Problem Signature 05: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 06: 15
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

also in the diagnosis and repair details it states
Root Cause Found:
"a recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting"
Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x4005

I cannot do a system restore as it says i have to enable system protection on this drive

maybe its registry probs?

i perferably do not want to reinstall windows as i have important documents and programs installed.

any help will be very much appreciated!!! (*)

I'm having problems booting into windows. (currently on a laptop running XP)
I recently updated my AMD Southbridge driver via "drivergenius" as well as installing an Advanced System Optimizer but i dont think that has anything todo with it. I restarted my pc as stated by the program and upon restart i was confronted with a bs! however its gone in seconds so u can't really see what it says, maybe 0x000000f4 I have ran the system recovery options several times and says "startupp repair cannot repair this computer automatically", then when you click problem detials it says:

Problem Event Name: StartupReportOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21215624
Problem Signature 05: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 06: 15
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

also in the diagnosis and repair details it states
Root Cause Found:
"a recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting"
Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x4005

I cannot do a system restore as it says i have to enable system protection on this drive

maybe its registry probs?

i perferably do not want to reinstall windows as i have important documents and programs installed.

any help will be very much appreciated!!! (*)

Pretty certain it is the driver and optimizer install that caused the problem but it also seems like you have some HD protection running which the system cant access.

Do you have a win XP dvd to do a repair install from?

Ken J

yeah those programs can cause trouble if you dont have a good idea of what is actually in your system.

drive genius here was saying I needed to upgrade my amd south bridge, but it is an intel machine.

They will sometimes mistake your sound system for a realtek when it isnt.

I'm with Zig.

Do a repair install, make sure that it is the repair option, you don't want it to format your hard drive. All of your files should be safe as long as it just replaces Windows.

You can NOT do a repair install with windows 7 unless you can make it to the desktop.

It is called an in place upgrade these days. (you get the option in dos mode but it will tell you you must run it from inside an OS if you click it)

I'm not sure why you cant do it by booting to the cd like you used to with xp.

I would boot to teh win7 cd start up repair.

go to the command line.

follow instructions here

scroll down till you see...

Use the Command Prompt option in the Windows Recovery Environment to disable the driver that stops the operating system from starting. To do this, follow these steps.
  1. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  2. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after you type each command. cd \Windows\INF
    notepad setupapi.app.log

Bet you it is driver genius

Last edited:
Hi

He says he is using Windows XP!
All you have to do is stick in the CD.

Mike

yeah I saw that and ignored it. Title of article is windows 7 boot failure.

But more importantly his error code.

"OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1"

and os version 6.1 is windows 7

he might be booting to xp in a dual boot.. probably to post this message but cant get in through windows 7.. as the error message and not the user says.

either way the xp cd will not help him at all. and actually could make things slightly worse by erasing the BCD

Your right I read that wrong! He means he's using another computer running XP.

If you are not able to solve this without a Windows reinstall you might want to try making a Ubuntu boot disk on whatever PC you can access.
It will let you boot your computer and back up your files before you do the reinstall.

I have one laying around just in case I have a really bad crash between backups and neither of my backups work.

I'm a little hyper, but you can't be too safe. LOL

Last edited:
Back