Windows Vista Windows 7 build 7000 slow internet speeds

funkgerm

Hey guys, im new here i just registered and would like to say hi to everyone.

Anyway, I just installed Windows 7 build 7000 and i have been having problems with my internet connection. I have verizon DSL 768/128kbps. On all my other computers running XP the download speeds are usually ~90kb/s, but on the Windows 7 machine the fastest i have gotten it to download is ~12kb/s. In addition, webpages seem to also load much slower than all my other machines connected to the same network. I have a Foxconn MB with an integrated SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. Has anyone else experienced this problem or maybe has a solution?

Thanks all!!

EDIT: When downloading a file on Bittorrent, I am able to reach speeds of 90kb/s. But, when trying to download iTunes from Apple's website for instance, it won't go faster than 15kb/s, and most websites load rather slowly.

Last edited:
yea it happen to me too i wish i knew how to fix it. it was working fine a day or so ago. it really pissed me off. i going back to xp

oh yea i have cable and some pages dont even load. i think its microsoft f-ink with us.

Last edited:
Have you tried using FireFox or Opera? Oddly, IE8 ran flawlessly in Vista, for me, but I had a lot of freezes and slow loading in 7. I normally prefer to use the MS built in products, but in this case have changed my default browser to FireFox.

Have you tried using FireFox or Opera? Oddly, IE8 ran flawlessly in Vista, for me, but I had a lot of freezes and slow loading in 7. I normally prefer to use the MS built in products, but in this case have changed my default browser to FireFox.

I have been using Google Chrome. I just installed Firefox 3 and I got a slight improvement. Download speeds are around 20-25kb/s, which still falls short of the 90kb/s i should be getting. I find it very strange that bittorrent speeds are normal (75-90kb/s) but I can't get above 25kb/s downloading anything else. I also tried an online speedtest which yields results of 350/130kbps, which translates into ~40kb/s but I can download stuff on bittorrent at ~90kb/s.

Again, remember people Windows 7 is in BETA stages... as such, there WILL be problems such as this arise.... some of which won't be able to be fixed until 7 progresses further.. ;) There's no need to go to the extreme and say that your going to ditch 7 already and go back to XP.... Windows 7 Beta is one of (if not THE MOST) the most stable/functional builds of an OS Microsoft has ever released in my opinion.. and it's performance so far is on par if not better then Windows Vista's AND Windows XP's... it's only gonna get better from here on out! :)

It's possible that it's a driver conflict of some source. I personally don't like SiS products, so if you have another NIC lying around, I would say try using that instead.

just to let you know i am not giving up on 7. i am just going back to xp for now until the real version comes out. i really liked it for test purposes:eek:

MS Office 2007 on Windows 7

I am unable tyo install office 2007 on windows 7 where as OPEN Office 3.0 installed flawlessly. Can any one help me to install office 2007m

On the speed issue;

I was skeptical about changing to 7 so soon, however I am always keen to keep in the loop. Suprisingly, with both my wireless broadband(In remote parts of inland AUS) and my ADSL2+ at home, my download speeds have actually increased.

All of my apps seem to be running okay, if not quicker than before. Memory management seems to be far better with 7 for most commonly used progs. Programs and Webpages alike all appear to be loading quicker than in Vista Ultimate... And boot times are substantially noticable even with this cheap laptop.

(Sorry - I have had a few minor problems with action packs etc for photoshop cs4...)

Kindest Regards,

did you fix your internet speed problem yet? you should visit speedtest.net and run a test to find out whether you are getting the speed you're supposed to get

Disable the QOS service from network options.it will improve net speed.

Don't have a service named QOS in my service list.

All my drivers are up to date, and I can't figure out what's causing the horrendous lag spikes. You don't really notice it when your casually browsing the web, but whenever I'm trying to play online with friends or on Ventrilo... it's unbearable! my ping fluctuates from 20 to 2000. I'm using a direct lan connection and didn't start having this issue till I installed Windows 7.

If anyone has experienced this, and has been able to correct it.. all help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey guys, im new here i just registered and would like to say hi to everyone.

Anyway, I just installed Windows 7 build 7000 and i have been having problems with my internet connection. I have verizon DSL 768/128kbps. On all my other computers running XP the download speeds are usually ~90kb/s, but on the Windows 7 machine the fastest i have gotten it to download is ~12kb/s. In addition, webpages seem to also load much slower than all my other machines connected to the same network. I have a Foxconn MB with an integrated SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. Has anyone else experienced this problem or maybe has a solution?

Thanks all!!

EDIT: When downloading a file on Bittorrent, I am able to reach speeds of 90kb/s. But, when trying to download iTunes from Apple's website for instance, it won't go faster than 15kb/s, and most websites load rather slowly.

I have noticed that web pages load much slower as well.

hi folks.. got same problem as you.. huge lag spikes... download can stop and get aborted,, in world of warcraft i can have 20 ms then suddenly 3000 ms.... its annoying as **** because windows 7 works so good except for this.. im using my build in network card on my motherboard which is a [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] Realtek 8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet. Tried like every driver on the planet for this card, same problem still. Yesterday i connected my wireless d-link adapter, DWL-G122ver B, and internet were just as slow.

Will continue to try solve the problem, dont want to ditch windows 7 :(

edit: i can add that i tried without firewall and i didnt get better, so its not and problem with that.. also i tried to download huge files from my other computer and it wasnt any problem... so its something with the internet connection with windows 7 then... my other computer that have XP dont have this problem
[/FONT]

Disable the QOS service from network options.it will improve net speed.

dont have that service.. only found a QOS packet scheduler under network card properties.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

also wondering about those link-layer stuff, those are new to me.

Last edited:
ya iam talking about the same u found out.QOS is actually 'Quality of Service" it uses by default 20% of bandwidth to improve your internet expirince and data transfer.uncheck that from network card properties.

I turned off the QOS packet scheduler and turned off the Wireless QOS on my router... things seem to be faster now with multiple downloads happening at the same time.

Going to test in a couple of the games I have that were experiencing lag spikes and see if that is cleared up as well.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Back
Top Bottom