Windows 7 Windows 7 comes with a lot of repair options

Reboot, start tapping F8 until you get a black screen. In this we are using things before the GUI(Graphical User Interface) ie: Windows loads so we have better chance of fixing things.

If this problem just started select Last Known Good Configuration
I have recovered many using this on XP through Win 7 so you must think about this.Worth a try.

Repair your Computer
Select this Hit enter, Select keyboard, Select User and enter Password and we get this screen
Repair.jpg

Startup Repair
Will fix some things that keep the PC from booting.

System Restore
Backup any files you want to save to a floppy or usb stick before doing this !!!

Choose System Restore and check the box say show more at bottom.
Choose wisely here as we want to go back before this problem started.

Windows Complete PC Restore
Here we can choose to install an image from a backup image. You must create this image before with Windows backup. Best use of this is to create the image somewhere like an external usb drive or dvd. I personally use Acronis True Image Home and haven't tried this to this date but will to see if it work's.

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. Here we can select extended and have it run a massive test similar to Memtest.
Memory.JPG

Command Prompt
This will allow us to run many programs from command line like sfc /scannow (System File Checker) remember that the GUI is not loaded so results may be better.

Dell Factory Image Restore is for my Dell computer and it retores the image they made when they built this. It takes you back to when first started your computer. Some OEM won't have this option.

Happy computing and if this helped please reply

Windows Seven System Image creator.

type sdclt in the Search box on Start and click on sdclt.exe
On top left you have Create system Image.
This will require a separate drive/usb big enough, roughly 1 half the size of your current system drive ie: C:\
You can choose to backup to a dvd but will require several.
If backing up to another drive it will create a folder called WindowsImageBackup

I have tried it and used the F8 'Repair your Computer' to restore it sucessfully. Slower than Acronis and image is a lot bigger but I am pleased with it.

On another note sfc /scannow does not work in the F8 Repair. Someone told me you could but I tried and it won't work from there. Might work on 1 file if you have error.
But with the command line option there are thousands of things can be done from there.

Isn't it fun when people just keep posting and ignore you? Makes me feel like I have super powers to be invisible.

Isn't it fun when people just keep posting and ignore you? Makes me feel like I have super powers to be invisible.
You said I should post this elsewhere, I can't do that. If mods wanted to move up to them
I just put this up for those to read that may need or can understand how to do these things because I didn't see it all in one place. If someone need help they can ask.

I can't get past this screen. For some reason (don't know why - inherited this computer) Windows 7 is installed on F drive rather than C. If I launch Startup Repair, it just runs forever. Is there a way to direct Startup Repair to the F drive?

If there are several drives like in a dual boot then your C: may show as F: but when it boots it becomes C: as does any other Win boot drive. If it hanging on startup repair you may have other issues.

When booting normally what does it say?
Have you tried the System Restore?

Back