Windows 7 Windows 7 compatibility issues with certain software?

campertyler

Hello all, this is my first post and my first time using Windows 7. My fiancee and I just bought a Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976 laptop and it came with the new OS. I've been having a few compatibility issues with certain programs that I use on a daily basis, some that will not install and others that will not work, once installed.

Example:
My biggest problem, so far, is with Yahoo! Messenger. The installer will complete about 75% of the installation, then close with an error. I've tried several times but it's always the same result.

Also, I've not been able to download or install Mozilla Firefox, which is bad because I'm a habitual Firefox user and I feel like I'm missing a piece of my soul. A handful of errors appeared, a "file corrupt" error, in particular. Every time I attempt to run the installer, it won't even start.

Another, with a game, Diablo II. I checked the Blizzard forums and found results of a "known compatibility issue" between Diablo II and Windows 7 but I got that one cleared up.

Basically, I'm just having a little bit of a hard time getting the simple every day programs (ie. Yahoo! Mess., etc) to install properly. Again, my computer is 1 day old so I see no problem why this problem cannot be resolved. Is there a new service pack or patch I might need to get?

I've updated via Microsoft Update to the furthest extent, incl. priority and reccommended updates.
Any insight on the subject matter would be GREATLY appreciated.

Well first off Window 7 isn't new and will be end of life by 2020 just so we're clear that you are in fact using Windows 7. Yahoo Messenger and Firefox most definitely work on 7. I would verify your Windows 7 is fully patched. You can no longer get updates for Windows 7 via the Windows Update mechanism. Here is an article describing how to patch Windows 7. How to Update Windows 7 All at Once with Microsoft’s Convenience Rollup Once you've got it patched try installing both applications again. If you get a corruption message verify the hash matches the download most software vendors will have a checksum or hash value with the download to let you know your installer is correct. There are lots of free hashing tools such as www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html . You can also right click the installer and select "Run in Compatibility Mode' if need be but that should not be required for these applications

As Neemo suggests, make sure you're Win7 is patched; that means you MUST have SP1 (Service Pack 1), and that often won't install properly if you try to do it through Windows Update. Additionally, most folks try to install this without disabling their Antivirus program; that will not fly either. If that occurs, your best bet is to borrow a Win7 SP1 disk from a Tech at a repair shop near you. Once you have your laptop at Win7 SP1 revision level. Some things may begin to work better. Also, since you are running programs that require the Internet, have you applied your web updates on this laptop? They do NOT come installed from the factory.

Specifically, Adobe updates: Adobe Acrobat ReaderDC, Flash Player 12.0 or better, and Shockwave. Java; the latest version is v8u121. If you don't have these, many web services such as streaming video from Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and Amazon may not work correctly. This is also true of Yahoo! Messenger, MSN Messenger, and AOL Messenger. However, I stopped running all of those years ago as they didn't run on most W7 machines as they have stopped support for most of these. :ohno: Also, none of my friends are really using these outdate messenger programs as they are full of security holes and can be easily hacked.:pirate: Instant messaging on Smartphones and social media such as Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat, have pretty much replaced these old messenger programs. But, if you insist on running them you might have to run them on older computers such as with XP or Vista. Make sure if you do that, that those computers are not used for any kind of financial transactions as they are completely outdated and are targets for hackers these days.:pirate: I'm still working to get my last customers off of Vista; I stopped repairing computers with XP last year. I will probably do the same with Vista the beginning of 2018 as it dies next year anyway.:ohno:

Another way you could go, is to download a free Virtual Machine software such as VMware or Hyper-v or similar and then install Vista or XP in a virtual machine, and install your Yahoo! messenger or other messenger software onto the Vista and run it there.

I heard that Yahoo! Messenger was phased out by Microsoft a couple of years ago,:down: but Neemo says he still runs it.

Those are some things that might help you. If Yahoo! messenger was dropped, that could be the reason it no longer works!! :lightbulb:Have you tried it on a more modern computer such as Win8/8.1/10? Do you have a friend, family-member, or neighbor that might let you install it on his/her PC and try it out? If it doesn't work on one of the newer versions of windows, it's likely dead and no one is even using it anymore as I supposed.:iee:

Your Toshiba laptop is now over 7 years old, but you could still upgrade it to W10.:) Running some of the old games and programs you have might not work on the new laptop either, but you can still try the Virtual Machine approach for those.

Good luck,:nerdie:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom