Windows 7 Windows 7 Compatible Laptop

Hello,

I'm looking for a brand new laptop that is compatible with Windows 7. To be clear, I would be using this laptop exclusively offline for one application that is not compatible with Windows 10. I have my own retail license of Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit that I would be using for this laptop. Therefore, I would format the drive and reinstall Windows 7 using my product key after I purchase one. How exactly can I make sure the laptop is compatible with Windows 7 before I make a purchase? For example, I was told any CPU generations above the 6th is incompatible with Windows 7, is this correct? When searching for a new Windows 7 laptop for sale, I see some that state 6th generation, I see some that state 7th generation and I see some that state 8th generation.

7th gen and newer are not officially supported for Windows 7. You'll also need to make sure the computer has drivers for Windows 7

Do I need to be looking for a specific CPU that is compatible with Windows 7? I will most likely be searching for a new Windows 7 compatible laptop on Ebay, what exactly should I search for. For example, 6th generation laptop?

Like I said, I will be formating the laptops hard drive and installing my Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit retail copy. Since the laptop will never go online, I would need to install the drivers manually from a back up source. How would I know which drivers I need and where would I get them? If I know the make and model of the laptop, do I simply contact the manufacturer for the drivers?

Again, since the laptop will never go online, where would I get the Windows 7 updates? For example, when you download the Windows 7 .iso directly from Microsoft and install Windows 7, there are still like 100 or more updates available through Windows Update. Therefore, how would I get these drivers and install them manually offline?

Last, I believe there is a way to activate Windows 7 offline with my product key in the dos prompt.

Like I said if you're looking at Intel based CPU laptops it will need to say i3/5/7 6XXX series CPU the 6 in the four digit series number is the generation. the drivers you'll need to download from the manufacturer site (just search for the model) Before you buy one I would look it up on the manufacturer site and make sure there are Windows 7 drivers.

Can I ask why you're trying to stay on Windows 7? It will be out of support next January which means no updates, no security patches and most likely software will drop support for it as well.

Like I already explained in my first post, I need to use Windows 7 for an application that is incompatible with Windows 10. I will need to use this application for a long time, possibly another 20 years. I recently purchased a brand new desktop and a retail copy of Windows 10. I have already tried to get the program to run in Windows 10 with Microsoft support. They confirmed that this application will not run in Windows 10.

Like I also said, I would never put the Windows 7 laptop online. For this very reason, it's no concern to me that Microsoft will no longer support Windows 7.

Thanks for the information about the CPU and where to obtain the drivers. I planned on making sure the drivers were available from the manufacturer before making a purchase.

Please let me know how to obtain the Windows 7 updates for an offline manual installation. I assume by next year Microsoft will offer the last update package for Windows 7.

Unless it's some custom or dead application I would imagine you can buy a newer version. For offline updates if you have another computer install wsus offline, from there you can download and transfer the updates

Yes, it is a dead application and the developer confirmed that a newer version will not be released.

I don't understand your reply about the Windows 7 updates. How exactly do I get them and what is wsus?

Any specific web site to get these updates, are there multiple options to choose for Windows 7? Last, how would I activate my W7 offline with my product key. Is there another forum that I can use to have these (4) topics confirmed. For example, can I reach out to Microsoft directly to assist me in regards to these (4) topics.? I feel that you weren't detailed enough in your replies, plus I want to have your answers confirmed by another person.

1) Exactly what type of laptop do I need to purchase to insure that is compatible with Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.
(Including, what exactly I should search for. For example, 6th generation, Windows 7 laptop.)

2) How to obtain and install the exact drivers offline for the laptop.

3) How to obtain and install the exact Windows 7 updates offline after I install Windows 7 using the .iso installer.

4) How to activate my retail Windows 7 offline.

Thank you

1. Search for one that has a 6th gen CPU, then go to the laptop manufacturer site and make sure there are Windows 7 drivers
2. Download them from the laptop manufacturer site (mostly they will just be an executable you run)
3. Like I said before use wsus offline to download the, copy them to the Windows 7 laptop and install
4. When you enter the product key there is an option to activate by phone, call the number and follow the prompts

I checked out the "wsus" website and this does not appear to be an official Microsoft website. Plus there doesn't appear to be anything like, "windows 7 ultimate, 64 bit updates, offline installer." I think that I will try and reach out to Microsoft directly for Windows 7 updates, offline installer and get the exact link. Thanks you for your help.

Correct it is not an official tool, but it does allow you to select which OS you want to get updates for and downloads them from Microsoft's update site.

It pulls them from here Microsoft Update Catalog which you can also search for and download updates.

Okay, thanks for the info. One last thing, in your opinion, would the updates even be necessary in install? For example, after I install my retail Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit copy from the .iso installer, (link below) and the drivers for the laptop would I then also need to install any Windows 7 updates since this laptop would never go online? I guess that I'm unsure if the updates could even be helpful or useful if the laptop will never be online. I understand that the drivers will be needed. Do you happen to know which drivers I will need? For example, chipset, video card, bios etc.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

If it wont be online the Windows updates are probably not needed. Drivers will depend entirely on the laptop you buy and again if you look at the manufacturer site and look up the model it will give you all the right drivers.

Okay that what I was thinking about the updates. Can you confirm that ALL updates for a Windows OS is only for the purpose of being online? Yes, I understand on how to go about getting the drivers for the laptop. I was just pointing out if the manufacture offers a lot of drivers, perhaps only some are needed, since the laptop will not be online. For example, I think there are LAN drivers for computers and I don't think that will be need in my case. You most likely would not know, but how much longer do you think NEW 6th generation laptops will be up for sale? For example, another few months, a few years. I was just wondering if it's something I need to purchase right away since I would only be interested in a brand new one.

Thanks for the suggestion, although I don't seem to like the idea of making my new Windows 7 desktop a dual boot or a virtual machine. Then again, I don't know enough about it to be fair. I do know that I would rather have only one OS on my new desktop. To be clear, I would only be interested in a brand new laptop and yes, I was thinking about purchasing two laptops to last me. At first, I was only interested in getting two of the same laptop, but as long as they both are 6th generation, I would be covered.

Name of the application is Elgar 2.6 developed by Klark Teknik in about 2006. I started another thread about how to get this application to run in Windows 10.

Running the application in a virtual machine actually would be a really good idea. They're easy to setup and they don't interfere with the underlying OS (Windows 10). This way you don't need to jump through all the hoops of having to keep it offline or searching for drivers, etc plus then you can invest newer hardware. Also if you care to you can send me the application and I can see if I can get it to run on Windows 10. I have quite a bit of experience getting legacy applications working in Windows 10 and Server 2016

I would have to do some research on a virtual machine. Although and like I said, I don't really like the idea. For example, I think that turning my new desktop into a Windows 7 and Windows 10 virtual machine will cause a decrease in performance. I would much rather only have one OS on my new desktop. If I can't get the application to run on my new Windows 10, (online) desktop, I would rather purchase a separate device, a Windows 7, (offline) laptop to run the application. I will send you the application and very much appreciate you trying to get it to run in Windows 10.

Turn the VM on when you need it and turn it off otherwise

Last edited:
Back